Quantcast

what is meant by "thru axle"?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
What is meant by a thru axle? I noticed that the Santa Cruz Heckler is available with a choice of forks, one of which is a Sherman Firefly, and another is a Sherman Firefly with thru axle. What's the differnce?

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
20mm style hollow axle that gets clamped by each fork leg and through the hub. Like what a motorcycle has. Mush stiffer and stronger design then the typical QR dropout.

Look at one of the fork manufacturers websites for examples.

ATN

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
Burke Mountain. BC
STIFFER

20mm stops your 8 inch hayes from ripping your fork apart. It also is way more secure. My psylo needs 2 qr's undone before the axle can be unscrewed. If I needed to, I could finish a race with those qr's undone, it really is that secure. The hex lock system featured on Manitou is even more secure. The marz 20mm systems are much more confusing, as there is so many of them to get.

What it boils down to is that 20mm is the future, an already accepted standard, and if you have the chance to get it, do.

I am speaking from a semi freeride perspective, but I XC race as well, and having one less component to worry about is something I like.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by ATN
STIFFER

20mm stops your 8 inch hayes from ripping your fork apart. It also is way more secure. My psylo needs 2 qr's undone before the axle can be unscrewed. If I needed to, I could finish a race with those qr's undone, it really is that secure. The hex lock system featured on Manitou is even more secure. The marz 20mm systems are much more confusing, as there is so many of them to get.

What it boils down to is that 20mm is the future, an already accepted standard, and if you have the chance to get it, do.

I am speaking from a semi freeride perspective, but I XC race as well, and having one less component to worry about is something I like.

its really completely unnecessary for xc riding of any sort. Its really alot like the idea of a 1.5 head tube. Its a great advancement for Freeriding but really overkill for xc

ATN

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
Burke Mountain. BC
Originally posted by Ifelloffabike
its really completely unnecessary for xc riding of any sort. Its really alot like the idea of a 1.5 head tube. Its a great advancement for Freeriding but really overkill for xc
For competitive XC, it's a no-no. I however, am I one bike guy living near the shore, riding shore style trails (not hucking tho) and having that strength is good for me. I get my XC traits from riding up the mountain.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Only disadvantage I can see for XC racing is the time needed to take the wheel off...but there are various QR solutions to this. (At least Marzo found a decent one for 03...)

The hubs can be lighter, even if the axle is heavier...

It might not be a necessity, but it doesn't hurt.

MD

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by MikeD
...but there are various QR solutions to this. (At least Marzo found a decent one for 03...)
:confused:

Have you used the '03 QR20 setup? There is nothing quick about this setup, but it is better than the Rock Shox Tullio QR20.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, I was comparing it to the 02 QR20+, which is the least convenient way to get around the 'incovenience' of a traditional setup that I've EVER seen...and it doesn't require any tools now...

MD