Quantcast

What is the better dirt jumper( MTB OR BMX)

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
What is the better dirt jumper( MTB OR BMX) I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY ON THE IDEA and yet us know your idea or is there a better.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
tight jumps == bmx
wide open jumps == bmx

:D basically the only reason to ride a mountain bike is that you like it. and that's a HUGE reason, and all that's necessary.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
It's a tough call. Anytime I hit a new jump for the first time I want to be on my mtb. I'm more comfortable on it and it is MUCH more forgiving with suspension on both ends. But that suspension sometimes makes me nervous, not knowing how the jump will kick me. In the end I'd say whichever you're most comfortable with. If you don't have anything yet and are buying a bike to jump on, buy BMX and ride the heck out of it. Your skills will be better off for it, and when you crash (and you will crash) you won't have tons of expensive and comparatively weak components to worry about.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
A BMX is so much easier to jump. It's smaller and easier to move around. There are literally tons of things that a MTB is more suited for, but dirt jumping is not one of them. Basically BMXs are designed to jump, and MTBs are designed to ride trails.

Sure people have tried to make MTBs that are good for jumping, and there are some nice MTB jumpers out there, but really they are just trying to be a BMX with bigger wheels.

An average BMX rider will school an expert mountain biker on the dirt jumps. No contest.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I don't think the answer is as simple as bmx is always better. Myself, I can't jump a BMX bike, it just doesn't work. I can't get my confidence up to a level where I'd be confortable doing anything more than very small simple jumps. I would say though that there are certain jumps that simply can not be done well on a mountain bike, but I'll just leave those the the little wheel guys:D.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by Li'l Dave
I don't think the answer is as simple as bmx is always better. Myself, I can't jump a BMX bike, it just doesn't work. I can't get my confidence up to a level where I'd be confortable doing anything more than very small simple jumps. I would say though that there are certain jumps that simply can not be done well on a mountain bike, but I'll just leave those the the little wheel guys:D.

im sure if you have spent as much time getting comfortable on a bmx bike as you have on a mtn bike the story would be very different

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i think that a bmx is easier to throw around and eject from. More fun to jump too. But mtn bikes are steadier in the air due to their large wheel size. imo, that makes mtn bikes easier to jump. I still think bmx are more fun though.

like toshi said, in tight, steep rythm a bmx is better suited. i guess you can get used to it though on a mtn bike, i have. I still miss my bmx though.

peace

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
wow people like bmx. i like mountain bikes because mine is lighter then my bmx and my bmx sucks i have a vegas wow thats odd it could be i dont like that bike.

Zippy357

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Mountlake Terrace WA
I owned a GT BMX for about 5 years and to tell the truth it was pretty sweet. I learned how to jump, rythem and pump at an early age but I never really started to go big untill I bought my P2 MTB. I dont know if its just the confidence of being on a bigger bike or just that it jumps 10X better than a BMX but one things for sure, im never goin back to BMX in my life.:D

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I agree Ifelloffabike, but I couldn't even get myself to do small jumps on a bmx bike, my progression was way faster on the mtb. I still don't think one is better foresay, just different.

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
i have had a bmx bike for 2 year. how can i get more confroterble on it. i know droping big drops doesnt work as well and rock trails are hard on my rist, but if i didnt have my bmx i wouldnt flow very good at all, so i like my bmx i would like to be about to jump it bigger im just scare of it and i dont know why,b ut when im on my mtb hard tail i can fly with no fear i think its the ride, some can ride bmx good some can ride mtb good there all bikes i love them both.:monkey:

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by FlashBullit
i have had a bmx bike for 2 year. how can i get more confroterble on it. i know droping big drops doesnt work as well and rock trails are hard on my rist, but if i didnt have my bmx i wouldnt flow very good at all, so i like my bmx i would like to be about to jump it bigger im just scare of it and i dont know why,b ut when im on my mtb hard tail i can fly with no fear i think its the ride, some can ride bmx good some can ride mtb good there all bikes i love them both.:monkey:
you are doing things that generally fall in the realm of mtn bikes of course one will feel better.

Dirtjumps, skateparks, and street riding on the other hand are where a bmx bike that you are comfortable on will outpreform a mtb that you are comfortable on.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
i always used to freak out on a bmx bike when i was in the air it moved so much and was really twitchy which i guess is what you would want but i just feel a lot more stable in the air with the mtb

ckylenn

Chimp
May 7, 2004
WI
I have always been kind of a pussy and scared of jumps, i grew up riding a CW cruiser and then kind of went away from bikes when i ran track in highschool, then i tried road biking, just quit that and got a P3 and all of the sudden i am not as scared to take big drops and try new jumps. i still need to learn to build a dirt jump, so if someone wants to teach me...

Chris R

Chimp
Mar 17, 2004
North East England
Originally posted by Li'l Dave
Its all in good fun, ride what ya like and kill it while doin it. I love my Patriot, that thing kicks ass.
Damn you got taste bro! Patriots kick ass for everything :cool:
Staying on topic...
I feel more comftable on my Patriot than my BMX, probably because the suspension makes it easier and it's what I'm used to, it also feels a lot more stable in the air, and to me, makes it a lot easier to trick!

ThePirk

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Seattle Wa
Originally posted by FlashBullit
What is the better dirt jumper( MTB OR BMX) I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY ON THE IDEA and yet us know your idea or is there a better.
Its not the bike you ride its how you ride the bike... who cares as long as your having fun.

Both have their atvantages
:stupid: