Quantcast

What is the deal with Salsa Cycles?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Originally posted by Squeak
They have changed hands alot lately. Who owns them now?

I think they're now one of the in-house 'boutique' brands for QBP (along with Surly) now.

Lessee. There was the 'original' Salsa with whats-his-name. Then the 'bought-out' Salsa which some employees moved up to NorCal. Now Minnesota, eh?

On the one hand, it's too bad all their nice frames are made in Asia, probably right next to the Giants and Mongeese. On the other hand, hell $400 for a Scandium frame?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
all the aluminium frames are kineisis built, dunno who exactly build the steel bikes. Ross Shafer was the founder of salsa, he bailed, the company floated, QBP snapped that **** up and now the minneapolis mob is all over that compan like flies on hurl everstone.
I might buy a kinesium cross frame from them. it's cheaper than the redline "scandium frame"

all in all i miss the old salsa, but the new salsa is chee-eep

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
QBP? I will look them up.

Too bad, Salsa's A la carte was a frame on my list. I could not get past the down tube cable routing though.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I'm bored today so I think I'll start a suspension debate....

What's the point of putting the pivot above the rear dropout on a 4-bar frame? Doesn't that just make it an unnecessarily complicated single pivot?

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by ghostrider
I'm bored today so I think I'll start a suspension debate....

What's the point of putting the pivot above the rear dropout on a 4-bar frame? Doesn't that just make it an unnecessarily complicated single pivot?
The point of such activity is so you can make a falling rate or rising rate or whatever type of suspension design but still have the single pivot ride characteristics. You can do so by playing with the linkage and shock position. you really don't have that kind of freedom with a true single pivot.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
That frame IS a 4-bar. The links are used to actuate the shock in a specific way that a single pivot might not be able to do. Also might remove some stress(side loads) from the shock.

The HORST has the link on the Chain-stay... the other "single pivot" ones have it on the seat-stay.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Squeak
QBP? I will look them up.

Too bad, Salsa's A la carte was a frame on my list. I could not get past the down tube cable routing though.

nothing is wrong w/ downtube routing.