Quantcast

What is the proper weight lifting term?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
The Cleans and jerks are about the only gym excersize that I could do that would really get me sweating. What is the proper term for that type of weight set with the rubber weights? I believe its Olympic platform weights or something. I'm tryin to call up a bunch of different gyms to see if they have this setup and most of the receptionists don't know what I'm talking about. That and most "fitness" gyms don't have this type of equipment.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Dog Welder
The Cleans and jerks are about the only gym excersize that I could do that would really get me sweating. What is the proper term for that type of weight set with the rubber weights? I believe its Olympic platform weights or something.
What????

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Your looking for either "Flex Metal" or "Rubber Coated" weights.

Flex Metal is a High Density, High Durometer rubber weight.

Rubber Coated is obvious.

Clean and Jerk off!!!!!!!....or away.... or something.

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
couple of things, it is olympic lifting, you dont need rubbe coated weights to perform them, and i would bet that you will have a hard time finding a gym in CA that will allow/like your olympic lifting. i powerlift, and there are no real power gyms near me, and as far as getting you to sweat, take down the rest intervals between your supplemental/accesory lifts and you should find yourself soaked in sweat. I recently shortened my rest periods to help me shed a few pounds, and when im done with my workout im soaked in sweat. give it a whirl.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by bbmj
couple of things, it is olympic lifting, you dont need rubbe coated weights to perform them, and i would bet that you will have a hard time finding a gym in CA that will allow/like your olympic lifting. i powerlift, and there are no real power gyms near me, and as far as getting you to sweat, take down the rest intervals between your supplemental/accesory lifts and you should find yourself soaked in sweat. I recently shortened my rest periods to help me shed a few pounds, and when im done with my workout im soaked in sweat. give it a whirl.
Yeah I was kicked out of my last gym cuz I was doing clean's with the normal iron weights...and whenever I would drop them...well...management wasn't too excited about having dented up floors. There is a Gold's Gym relatively near by ...I'll going to check them out. I figure if its Gold's they gotta have something.

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
The Cleans and jerks are about the only gym excersize that I could do that would really get me sweating. What is the proper term for that type of weight set with the rubber weights? I believe its Olympic platform weights or something. I'm tryin to call up a bunch of different gyms to see if they have this setup and most of the receptionists don't know what I'm talking about. That and most "fitness" gyms don't have this type of equipment.
RUBBER weights? in a gym? no self respecting gym would have them. Geez, are your hands too soft to touch real IRON?

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah I was kicked out of my last gym cuz I was doing clean's with the normal iron weights...and whenever I would drop them...well...management wasn't too excited about having dented up floors. There is a Gold's Gym relatively near by ...I'll going to check them out. I figure if its Gold's they gotta have something.
you get more out of the exercise if you do them in a controlled manner. yes, dropping them might be cool if you are going for power only, but if you are lifting ANY weight of respectable value, rubber or not, they will bang when they hit the ground. i hate clowns that do that in my gym. control the weights, reap the benefits...

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by Airborne
RUBBER weights? in a gym? no self respecting gym would have them. Geez, are your hands too soft to touch real IRON?
Are you joking? Cuz if you are then that's cool. If not...do you even know what the fvck you're talking about? Have you seen the kind of weights I'm talking about and what they're used for? If you did then you'd know why they're rubber. And no self respecting gym would be without them.

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Are you joking? Cuz if you are then that's cool. If not...do you even know what the fvck you're talking about? Have you seen the kind of weights I'm talking about and what they're used for? If you did then you'd know why they're rubber. And no self respecting gym would be without them.
so since you cannot find a gym that has them around you, and none of them know what you are talking about, then there are no "self-respecting" gyms in your area huh?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Airborne
you get more out of the exercise if you do them in a controlled manner. yes, dropping them might be cool if you are going for power only, but if you are lifting ANY weight of respectable value, rubber or not, they will bang when they hit the ground. i hate clowns that do that in my gym. control the weights, reap the benefits...
Never done any power lifting eh? Training for power and explosion does in fact require EXPLOSIVE and what looks like uncontrolled movements. They are in fact very controlled and develop incredible speed and power. If you want size and strength then yes slow controlled movements are fine. In reality you don't get any more from going slowly. You get different effects with each. With that statement you insulted a whole culture of strenght and power athletes not to mention anyone training for athletic performance in football, rugby or any other sport requiring speed and power. They move very respectable amounts of weight and definately aren't clowns. :)

As for the rubber vs Iron. Who cares. a 45 pound plate is a 45 pound plate. Iron is thinner so you can put more plates on a rack but in the end unless you move a lot of weight you don't need iron. But I sure do love that tinging sound iron makes when you are doing a clean and jerk with true iron :D

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Funny thing is back home in Ontario I could never find real Iron to play with. I was always stuck with 'rubber' weights. Really frustrating because I would fill a leg press with 22 plates (11 a side) and then still need a friend to sit on top to add weight. With Iron I could have added the needed weight on the end. It was always really frustrating.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
No there are no self respecting gyms anywhere near me..they're all these 24 hr fitness places. What I mean by rubber is that they are meant to be dropped..hense the special platform area where you are supposed to be doing this method of lifting..not just anywhere you may please. A rubber 45 pound weight is nearly 3 times the thickness of a normal. The sole purpose of the rubber weight is so that it can be dropped without damaging the floor or the weight. Check out olympic power lifting...NONE of those guys slowly bring the weight down. Its an explosive movement to get the weight up and over your head...ex I can clean & jerk 225 pounds...try to shoulder press that slow and I'll bet that you'd blow out a disk. The reason why these style of weights are hard to find is that you need a perfect form to do them or you'd put yourself in a lot of danger. I'm willing to bet that 99% of the guys that work in fitness gyms do not know how to do this style of lifting properly and the lawsuits that can come out of it are great. IMO there is a big difference between yuppie fitness gyms and real gyms where you go to work out..period..not to check out how you look while working out.

I'm willing to bet that 99% of the guys that work in fitness gyms do not know how to do this style of lifting properly and the lawsuits that can come out of it are great. IMO there is a big difference between yuppie fitness gyms and real gyms where you go to work out..period..not to check out how you look while working out.
and no matter how good you are, you must be genetically able to do those kinds of movements.

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
IMO there is a big difference between yuppie fitness gyms and real gyms where you go to work out..period..not to check out how you look while working out.
oh i DID start a fire didnt i. i admit, i was pushin buttons; just playin around ("...i was just riding along when...")...

so i am sorry. i know its all good. i used to be into cleans, jerks, and other big moves in college. we did have the benefit of platforms and all, those used by the linebackers.

now though i am 25lbs lighter than those days at 147 lbs to ride and race XC better. Sure, my squats have gone from my best of 455 x 1 in the mid 90's to 225 x1 now, but endurance and power are significantly better, and those are the things I save my legs for now.

see you at the World's Strongest Man competition. but i will be watching you all from the stands!:D :devil: