Quantcast

What is your opinion of the future of this sport?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Was curious to here from a wide range of riders, from pro's to weekend warriors as to what y'all think of the future of downhilling is. Money, sponsorships, technology, etc...

Loozinskin

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham,WA
My theory is that youth culture sports (Snowboarding,Skateboarding,Surfing,etc) usually peak simultaneously at the moment a major box office movie is made centering around the sport as a central back story detail.

so far we're safe.

...for now.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
yes, we dont have to worry about hoards of posers yet...But having the sport commercialized would be kinda nice. Either way I don't care I just want to ride my bike.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
The amount of kids starting to ride is growing but the amount of money going to pro's and getting more publicity is decreasing. Hopefully company's will start paying their riders more.

Loozinskin

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham,WA
Yeah I think it would be great to see pros paid better...publicity plays a role in alot of these things sure.
But I think what matters most to me is land access and lift access. Bikes will always be getting better, more people willl be catching on the the fun, but if the terrain is'nt there for everyone to go ride on, the sport will decline into an urban and DJ only culture which is not where I want to be.

I'm more concerned with keeping the "mountain" in MTB and making sure adults as well as kids will allways have an excuse to go play out in the woods.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
I think it is totally dependant on the relevant authorities allocating places to ride. The sport will never be high exposure, too hard to film.
It is fun, easy to start out and has the tech geeks satisfied, so it should get more popular, if people can have somewhere to ride.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
I see some similarities to skateboarding. Back when I was into skating in the late 80's skate parks were pretty much non-existent. That left skaters to skate illegally in urban areas. Of course that still happens and always will, but now there are public skate parks in many neighborhoods. With mountain biking, many of the good DH trails are not legal in part because in most areas there is no legal place to ride. But I am encouraged by the progress of the few who have been fighting for legal places to ride and by the growing number of bike parks at mountain resorts. Maybe it's time to make some t-shirts that say "Mountain Biking is Not a Crime".

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Bike improvements and the general standard of riding has FAR outstripped the progression of the tracks - certainly in the UK. Most of the races I did this year were on tracks that have been around for years and years and not really changed. Bikes have come on so much, and the courses don't seem to be changing to reflect this?

Loozinskin

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham,WA
Come take a trip to B.C.!!

seriously though, its a shame the terrain is'nt one step ahead of the riding there. The shovel swingers should chime in on this thread anytime now.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well I've been to BC, and whilst I only took one trip out to the North Shore and spent the rest of the time in Whistler, most of that was pretty easy too.

I don't claim to be the fastest guy in the world down any of it, nor to have done every crazy skinny I saw in the woods, but I don't think I found anything that I wasn't happy to have a crack at (north shore aside, I have little balance), and very little that was a challenge just to get down it!

I guess I just want more things that scare me silly. I can't remember the last time I was scared on a bike because of the terrain. Because of the speed I was hitting it at maybe, but nothing that couldn't be done easily and safely by going slowly.

Does anyone get what I mean here?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
There are some trails that would scare you, rest assured. You just haven't found your match yet. For some time I felt similar and found 28% steep 100% rockgarden dh trail in Slovakia. That scared the **** out of me(and I'm a rockgarden pimp ;) )

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
After reading some of the posts by you west-coasters, I guess I should count myself pretty lucky to live in the Northeast. There's something like 12 lift-serviced DH mountains within a 5-hour drive out here, maybe more? Rather than worry about more places opening, I actually worry about some of these cool, smaller places closing due to saturation of the market.

Anyway, regarding the evolution of the sport, I'd guess we'll see less people racing and more who are just into recreational freeriding. That seems to be the trend in this area, anyway. Back in the day, it seemed like anyone who had a DH bike raced every chance they got. Now I routinely meet riders at mountains who have sick skill but zero interest in racing. No biggie either way to me, as long as they're out having fun.

--JP
P.S. Seb, next time you make the trip to North America, try and do a weeklong road trip in the Northeast if you want some stuff that will 'scare' you. I did one this past summer and enjoyed it as much or more than my annual trip to Whistler.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
a lot of spoiled kids (ages 12-15) are getting into the sport now. all they really care about is the whole "huck" (i hate that word) scine and having the best bike out there, and their parents are buying everything for them. i have found on the east coast kids who pay for their own stuff tend to be a little more level headed vs the kids who have everything handed to them. how bad is it on the westcoast?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I Enjoy riding, I'll continue to ride. That's the future of the sport, at least for me.
Absolutely BEST answer!

I got a better bike this year, more for the way I ride, and had a better season and improved 100% (For me anyway)

But this is the first year I was able to ride whatever I wanted and not worry. I still have to improve by leaps and bounds, but, I had a blast!!!!!

I did remember seeing you in the parking lot across the lift smiling most of the time...:thumb:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
bike technology will be off the hook, places will start loosing alot of buisness and racing is declining every race. (northeast coast)

NOOP

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
I think downhill racing is just an awesome sport. I don't think it will ever be as popular as some sports, but it will become more popular than it presently is. I also think that lift-assisted riding *is* becoming more popular and it will only grow - again, not to epic proportions, but more people will ride, in general.

So, I don't think the industry will "blow up", but more people will ride mountain bikes... they already are.

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
a lot of spoiled kids (ages 12-15) are getting into the sport now. all they really care about is the whole "huck" (i hate that word) scine and having the best bike out there, and their parents are buying everything for them. i have found on the east coast kids who pay for their own stuff tend to be a little more level headed vs the kids who have everything handed to them. how bad is it on the westcoast?

totally agree with this, and totally agree with matt. i will be taking my bikes to the grave with me. not goingto be off a bike for a long time in the future

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Seems to me the Mid-Atlantic could use some love from a nationally recognition perspective......Quite frankly the east coast is hurting for more action and recognition......

Loozinskin

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham,WA
I see the younger kids more doing the DJ scene attitude to death out here.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i think the future of me in the sport will be me doing more photography for the biking industry as well as my skills inproving. new bikes and publicity would be grand but im not going to be disapointed if it dosent happen.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Unfortunatly, I do not think there is much of a Future for DH, ther just Isnt enough publicity and money involved. Riders dont get enough pay, sponsers cant televise well enough, not that they dont want to, its just the terrain involved. Part that kills me is that there really needs to be a bigger professional following, and without being able to pay Pro riders more money, it just isnt going to happen.

As far as the self sponsered, weekend woraior riders of the sport, there here to stay, the recreational side of DH will be around forever. And on this note the future really depends on people just going out and riding, thats what is pushing the bike technology, the fact that we as riders want it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i think the bike industry needs to have a serious shakedown. prices throughout the whole industry are simply too high for those without "bro deals". combine this with the lack of lifts (outside of the NE, apparently, as john p points out) and you have a recipe for staying a niche activity, like longboarding or flying kites, perhaps. :D

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
i think the bike industry needs to have a serious shakedown. prices throughout the whole industry are simply too high for those without "bro deals". combine this with the lack of lifts (outside of the NE, apparently, as john p points out) and you have a recipe for staying a niche activity, like longboarding or flying kites, perhaps. :D
I agree, the industry also needs to become more dependable and consistent. This "2 week" bull**** will never fly with the mainstream consumer.

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
im sure its gonna grow a lot more. this sport hasnt been here very long like skateboarding, bmx, skiing and other popular sports. you just need to give it time.
i see it constantly growing.
also its true, this sport is really expensive and that is a reason why some people cant get involved in this sport.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
more racing in one weekend. ALA g3 x3 i think would rule

rally style dh racing with 6 stages run 2x in two days.

make it an attrition race not a pot luck gamble in one run.

that is the future i think, i hope!

cshewmake7

Chimp
Aug 7, 2007
Centennial, CO
Sol Vista (and resorts like it) are the future of this sport. Bike parks that are accessible to the masses. Affordable riding opportunities for all riding levels will help this sport grow. I realize it's going to take more than just having the resorts open (ie making the sport seem "cool" to kids, marketing), but places such as Sol Vista Basin in Colorado are going to help a lot. Thats what I think.

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
I want to see gravity mtb racing change from DH, 4x, and Super D as separate events; to having it as one event. A timed qualifying run puts you in a quarter or semi-final heat of 10+ riders depending on class size. Have an award/prize for pole position(DH). Faster qualifiers get a better start gate pick. The faster half of each heat would move on to the next round(Mountaincross). A race course would be 5+ minutes long and be 6 or more feet wide most of the way down for passing. And have 1 or 2 short flat/climbing/low speed sections to bunch riders back up(Super D). Practice and qualifying could be on saturday and a short practice then racing on sunday.

You would race the track 2-4 times at 5 minutes or more per race. More racing per weekend is a better value for racers and sponsors.

edit: I also like the rally style event BCD suggests. Every good MTB park has 6 race worthy trails, so no need to cut a new track. In the end we need more racing and less practice.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
bike technology will be off the hook, places will start loosing alot of buisness and racing is declining every race. (northeast coast)
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine!

I think the biggest problem for a lot of people is the "buy-in cost" to come to the game. One of our riders Ryan is a pretty good example of this. Bucket loads of natural talent, 6' tall at 13 years old, but riding a P2 for his DH bike in places like Massanutten and Snowshoe. His bike would get nuked, his body would get slammed, and it would be a lot of work to get him back out there. He'd get real mad, yelling at his folks for not "buying him a bike like the other kids." He was getting beat by kids with 1/2 his talent just due to technology.

I think that for there to be a long term future there is going to have to be some sort of "entry level" for this sport that doesn't have people mortgaging their souls to get into the sport.

And if we can get half clothed, DD stacked beer maids in white fur bikinis at the end of every race, that would help a lot.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I think that DH racing may benefit by the publicity that can be gathered by slopestyle events. I know these are 2 different disciplines but I believe ss will bring more people to Gravity MTB(people will get interested in ss and then seen there is more) as it is muche easier to advertise and much more apealing to a casual consumer. It's probably the easiest to show on tv, it's easy to impress with such stuff. If ss event's came out of MTB community and hit some big ex sports fests like X or Gravity(yea I know most of you don't like the idea but that could help) the sport would be spoted by 100x more people that it is now. That would give us more sponsors and more riders(lower prices, not in a sense that we want more riders just for the sake of it). That is imo the only way I see a major braketrought in gravity MTB and DH as well in short time. If it doesn't go that way, well it will be probably still just steady evolution. Which is not bad and recently got kinda faster to the market boom but not as fast as it would get with the 1st idea(rich kids really help the sport, and rich kids dig tricks and hucks - look at snowboard)

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Dh racing will NEVER be mainstream in the USA as long as usacycling is running the show. They DO NOT promote the sport in the least. (sending postcards to racers for a race series is NOT a promotion campaign).
Mtn biking needs a fanbase to grow, & until some TV ads show up for the Nat's (at least) it will never happen...

Ever see tv ads for Any DH racing event? ever? How will the public watch them if they don't know they exist?? If the public doesn't watch, the pros don't get raises. period.. Personally i think they deserve one.

Boycott usacycling. maybee they'll go belly up & a real racing league will take over.. I truly feel that they hurt our sport with their lack of promotion. For the price they charge, I want more!

I'll be supporting Diablo's races next year because they don't use usacycling. & any other mtn in the northeast that doesn't for that matter.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
I think the biggest problem for a lot of people is the "buy-in cost" to come to the game. One of our riders Ryan is a pretty good example of this. Bucket loads of natural talent, 6' tall at 13 years old, but riding a P2 for his DH bike in places like Massanutten and Snowshoe. His bike would get nuked, his body would get slammed, and it would be a lot of work to get him back out there. He'd get real mad, yelling at his folks for not "buying him a bike like the other kids." He was getting beat by kids with 1/2 his talent just due to technology.
This kid needs to stop bitching, I was in the same situation 2 years ago but i didn't yell at my folks and cry about my race times. If you really like what your doing it doesn't matter you just ride. If you have to drag him to races try leaving him behind and see how much fun he has not racing on his hard tail.