Quantcast

Check out my new service loaner!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just love these threads. Plus you monkeys are so helpful, always.

I am shifting my commute from 20mi, suburbs to the city, to 10mi, suburbs to suburbs. I drive some wickedly twisty roads, though there is often some level of traffic on them. I need 4 doors and a back seat. A manual is a plus, but an automatic that doesn't suck will do as well. I need RWD, I will consider AWD. I do not want a FWD car. Wagon-y or hatchy is great.

Current list:
Kia Stinger
Infiniti Q50 hybrid
BMW E39, 540i or M5.
BMW 4 series GC
Alfa Giulia

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
BMW E39, 540i or M5.
buy @stoney 's ///M5 and get a new road bike?
Seriously. We were talking about this over the weekend. How new are you married to and what's your budget?

I am realistically looking at selling the M this summer. I will tell you every line item on it that has been done and what needs to be done still. The vast majority of 100-120k work is done, plus a shit ton more. New rubber as of August and I've had winters on since October. 105k for a 2002; It's averaged 8k/yr since new.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Seriously. We were talking about this over the weekend. How new are you married to and what's your budget?

I am realistically looking at selling the M this summer. I will tell you every line item on it that has been done and what needs to be done still. The vast majority of 100-120k work is done, plus a shit ton more. New rubber as of August and I've had winters on since October. 105k for a 2002; It's averaged 8k/yr since new.
what will you be looking to get for it? I would love an M5, but if I tiptoe toward that realm, it has to be relatively new or extremely well cared for. My commute will be relatively short but I can't be chasing down random battery leaks on a monthly basis. Being the commute will be what it is, that new doesn't really matter. I use my phone for nav, like having bluetooth connectivity for music or phone calls, but otherwise don't need lane departure or anything like that.

As for electric, meh. Model Ss are too expensive, model 3s are vaporware, a model X is out of the question. I could leaf it, and have considered it, but I like having fun, too. Perhaps a leaf and a 540i, so I can fwip when I want, and vroom when I need. The leaf was one of the most "meh" cars I've driven. Maybe a focus electric?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
what will you be looking to get for it? I would love an M5, but if I tiptoe toward that realm, it has to be relatively new or extremely well cared for. My commute will be relatively short but I can't be chasing down random battery leaks on a monthly basis. Being the commute will be what it is, that new doesn't really matter. I use my phone for nav, like having bluetooth connectivity for music or phone calls, but otherwise don't need lane departure or anything like that.

As for electric, meh. Model Ss are too expensive, model 3s are vaporware, a model X is out of the question. I could leaf it, and have considered it, but I like having fun, too. Perhaps a leaf and a 540i, so I can fwip when I want, and vroom when I need. The leaf was one of the most "meh" cars I've driven. Maybe a focus electric?
How about an efatbike powered by liquid H2? :brows:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Seriously?

There are a few here at work. Panel gaps look like a puzzle where someone just jammed in a piece that didn't fit. Can only imagine all the bullshit problems that you can't see.
I saw one on the road the other day, was not impressed.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Golf GTI or R?
/me will likely be getting a MT GTI when our Beetle gets dispatched.
i was gonna throw that in there too.

q50 hybrid could be fun. i've had the normal one as a loaner and it's pretty good. def not as raw feeling as my g37s, and i don't think it comes in manual, like the g37s, which could be good, as my manual has had a few issues.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
A volvo v90 (non-xc) is #1 on my list, but too many pesos and too rare to be a reality. It may be FWD, but I can deal for that interior and exterior.

I really, really don't want FWD. I don't want FWD with a haldex differential, either. I can finally drive what I would like (within reason) and I don't want a FWD car. I don't care WHO on the internet told you it's just as good.

The q50 is probably what I'll end up in. Dumb name and I'm not sold on the chubby cheeks grill, but 0-60 in 4.9 with AWD and shitty resale value is pretty nice music to a used buyer. The VQ engine is dead reliable too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just got a new Alltrack last month, and I like it so much my balls clap every time I drive it.

If one is interested in a more performance, the Alltrack's engine is seriously de-tuned so as not to compete with the GTI. One can pick up an extra 70 HP, a MT would require an upgraded clutch.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If one is interested in a more performance, the Alltrack's engine is seriously de-tuned so as not to compete with the GTI. One can pick up an extra 70 HP, a MT would require an upgraded clutch.
modding a VAG product always goes well. I'm sure it's only detuned to not compete, not because the engine would grenade in 300 miles and leave a trail of pistons, water pumps, and noxious fumes in its path.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yep, I just came from a '15 GTI with a MT. I loved the GTI and had no issues with it at all, but I live in a state with absolute $hit roads. The Alltrack has incredible ride quality, and is still fun to drive. Mine has the DSG which I really like as well. Jeeze, I never thought I would be one of those VW guys, but I love the way they drive.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've driven an e39 540i with a manual a bunch. They're comfy and certainly not slow, but feel just a bit big and heavy to really be super fun or exciting with the power they have on hand. The M5 is a riot though. If I was in the market for a semi-largeish sedan (which I very much am not), it would be on my short list. But I'm also a single guy with no kids, multiple vehicles, and I like working on cars. If I were you I'd be looking at something newer.

I know it fails on your FWD thing, but I love the current generation GTI, and I haven't had anything FWD in a long time. Go drive one, just to see. If you don't like it, I'll shut up, but to my mind they're a pretty great compromise of fun/practicality/price while still having a decent interior and not feeling like a farm implement (looking at you, WRX).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
modding a VAG product always goes well. I'm sure it's only detuned to not compete, not because the engine would grenade in 300 miles and leave a trail of pistons, water pumps, and noxious fumes in its path.
The alltrack engine is simply a detuned version of the GTI engine. Same block with a shorter crank, smaller turbo and doesn't have the fancy variable profile exhaust cam. It is also tuned to run on 87 octane instead of 91. With a shorter crank and fewer parts it is probably more reliable. A tune simply allows for similar boost pressures as the GTI engine and will require higher octane gas. With the smaller turbo you just get the torque earlier and it dies off earlier in the RPM range.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The alltrack engine is simply a detuned version of the GTI engine. Same block with a shorter crank, smaller turbo and doesn't have the fancy variable profile exhaust cam. It is also tuned to run on 87 octane instead of 91. With a shorter crank and fewer parts it is probably more reliable. A tune simply allows for similar boost pressures as the GTI engine and will require higher octane gas. With the smaller turbo you just get the torque earlier and it dies off earlier in the RPM range.
what I am hearing is sequential turboz?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I just got a new Alltrack last month, and I like it so much my balls clap every time I drive it.

this.

would have gotten if i still lived in colorado....

really wanted VR6 passat 4motion.....hard to find nice/used....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
4GC is good for practical usefulness with the hatch, all 4-door cars should have this IMO. Stinger is a few inches bigger in most dimensions. Avoid 4 series X-drive like the plague, x-drive suspension sucks. If you want sporty suspension AND awd, you need to buy the Audi or the new 550 m-sport. 3 and 4 series BMWs have progressively sucked more to drive with each generation/evolution.

Thought S4 avant- was finally coming to US?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this.

would have gotten if i still lived in colorado....

really wanted VR6 passat 4motion.....hard to find nice/used....
All Passats should be W8 and all Phaetons should be W12. Your local VW shop owner will thank you.

4GC is good for practical usefulness with the hatch, all 4-door cars should have this IMO. Stinger is a few inches bigger in most dimensions. Avoid 4 series X-drive like the plague, x-drive suspension sucks. If you want sporty suspension AND awd, you need to buy the Audi or the new 550 m-sport.

Thought S4 avant- was finally coming to US?
Sadly I understood all of this acronym-speak.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I may be able to convince my wife to let me get a BMW. I do not need convincing not to get an Audi. Would love a RWD, manual GC, but an auto would be cool. I just don't need awd for where we live.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
what I am hearing is sequential turboz?
The GTI has a fancy dual profile exhaust cam that fills in the low rpm torque gap. The Golf R actually has less HP than the GTI below 4500 rpm or so. In theory the GTI has a better power curve for most driving unless you are looking for a track car.