Quantcast

Check out my new service loaner!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
They aren't particularly inspiring, sporty, fuel efficient, or have a lot of fun gadgets, but if reliability is at the top of your list they are a good bet. All in all they are a solid vehicle that should keep on ticking.
Seems under powered like my old Tacoma. I also test drove a Tiguan and another Acura today. I am looking at a Honda Ridgeline also. I know everyone hates Acuras, but I like them...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Only in 'Murica does everything need to accelerate like a 500ci big block muscle car and do 85 up the steepest grades.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just put a deposit on a very blue Golf R. Should probably have just gotten a base GTI, but fuck it.
Are you going to follow the manufacturer's recommended long intervals for oil change using the expensive VW oil, or are you going to go with a different regime?

I don't trust them. The small superturbocharged 4 bangers need fresh oil often IMHO.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Are you going to follow the manufacturer's recommended long intervals for oil change using the expensive VW oil, or are you going to go with a different regime?

I don't trust them. The small superturbocharged 4 bangers need fresh oil often IMHO.
I followed the 10k mile change interval on my old GTI. Always used the recommend synthetic. Would drop in some seafoam a day or two before a change.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i wish they came in two door models......i wish you could get the leather/plaid seats.

I am actually looking forward to getting a 4 door again. I don't think the two door looks good on a golf and not having a huge barn door will be nice in tight city parking.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yep, and pretty darn light. It should go from 0-stuck in traffic in mere seconds.
The germans tend to quote the wheel horsepower, then when put into tests with cars that have "similar" horsepower, they tend to kill it with their low rpm torque and what it actually sends to the wheels. That's what makes some of the higher HP german cars so impressive IMO.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The germans tend to quote the wheel horsepower, then when put into tests with cars that have "similar" horsepower, they tend to kill it with their low rpm torque and what it actually sends to the wheels. That's what makes some of the higher HP german cars so impressive IMO.

Not only does it have good low end grunt, but the torque curve keeps rising almost to redline. A lot of small turbo engines seem to lose motivation at higher revs.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I do. I hate when Karla eats my sardines and smoked oysters.

My 07 Tacoma king cab with the 4.0 and 6 speed manual is one of the funnest vehicles I’ve owned. Mostly because the 6 speed. I drove it today in traffic, that sucked. I don’t normally have traffic.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not only does it have good low end grunt, but the torque curve keeps rising almost to redline. A lot of small turbo engines seem to lose motivation at higher revs.
You sure about that? The dyno sheets for stock Rs show flat torque that tapers off at higher RPMs, opposite of what you are saying. And that's exactly what I'd expect to see based on how they design turbo engines these days. Area beneath the the line is what matters with torque and making full torque at lower RPMs generally makes for a fast car. Modern turbo tech with hot-V sections, twin-scrolls, DI engines and such can allow for fairly fast turbo spool and lots of torque down low, the long-sought after goal has been to give turbo cars decent torque at low RPM, so being able to make full torque from 1500-1700rpm and throughout the range has been an absolute boon for the turbo audis, bmws, mercedes, vws, and so on. Their "curves" these days are generally flat through the range.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
did it come standard with cinder blocks in the trunk for when it falls apart around you and you need something to rest it on in your front yard in 5 years when you part it out?
We aren't going back to the 80s with the T-top no matter how badly you want it. We are full on headed back to the 50s right now...