Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I saw that and have been reading reviews nearly constantly. I love the interior. Great that it has a manual RWD option, but the 2.0t is a bit of a pig in the stinger, so I expect it to be similar in the genesis. I would love a stinger, just a matter of waiting for the right time.
If the 2.0 w/ MT can do 0-60 under 7.5s, that's good enough for me. I just loooove MT too much.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If the 2.0 w/ MT can do 0-60 under 7.5s, that's good enough for me. I just loooove MT too much.
I think the stinger is between 6.5 and 7.5s, depending on reviewer and AWD/RWD. I would imagine the g70 will be pretty close to 6.5.

I think I will either end up holding out until I can afford a real car, like a stinger or alfa (heh) with a nice auto box, or get an older car with a manual. I can't imagine driving a manual every day in the miserable traffic around here. In the summer, when traffic is light, it would be great to rip through a six speed parked behind a nice TT i6 or V8, but the newer automatics are really pretty amazing. They shift faster than you or I could manually and they're generally very very responsive (ie not upshifting) to user inputs. The Alfa has an autobox that feels like an SMG- it's lightning quick and does what you want it to. I'd rather have easy driving through traffic (50% of driving around here, if you're lucky) and then slap the paddles on the backroads.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I think the stinger is between 6.5 and 7.5s, depending on reviewer and AWD/RWD. I would imagine the g70 will be pretty close to 6.5.
Really, those times are slow compared to a 328i which is mid 5 seconds with a 2.0T.

I think I will either end up holding out until I can afford a real car, like a stinger or alfa (heh) with a nice auto box, or get an older car with a manual. I can't imagine driving a manual every day in the miserable traffic around here. In the summer, when traffic is light, it would be great to rip through a six speed parked behind a nice TT i6 or V8, but the newer automatics are really pretty amazing. They shift faster than you or I could manually and they're generally very very responsive (ie not upshifting) to user inputs. The Alfa has an autobox that feels like an SMG- it's lightning quick and does what you want it to. I'd rather have easy driving through traffic (50% of driving around here, if you're lucky) and then slap the paddles on the backroads.
I agree, I'm just about done with the 6MT in my Golf R. My commute traffic isn't that bad but I do live in the city with a lot of stop and go. It's just that the 6MT is not very good, and frustrating to deal with on a daily basis where the opportunities to open it up and have fun are so limited. It really hinders the car's performance compared to the available DSG transmission. My next car will have an automatic of some kind; every decent modern auto outperforms a manual in every way.

I'm currently debating between a new Golf Alltrack or few years old 3 series wagon as a replacement.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Really, those times are slow compared to a 328i which is mid 5 seconds with a 2.0T.

I agree, I'm just about done with the 6MT in my Golf R. My commute traffic isn't that bad but I do live in the city with a lot of stop and go. It's just that the 6MT is not very good, and frustrating to deal with on a daily basis where the opportunities to open it up and have fun are so limited. It really hinders the car's performance compared to the available DSG transmission. My next car will have an automatic of some kind; every decent modern auto outperforms a manual in every way.

I'm currently debating between a new Golf Alltrack or few years old 3 series wagon as a replacement.
yeah the 0-60 times are pretty disappointing... 0-60 in 6.4: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/stinger/2018/2018-kia-stinger-20-first-test-review/

I actually started hesitating on the manual the second I left the lot in a CTS-v. Beastly car with loads of horsepower, and absolutely terrible to drive. I couldn't picture the kids in such a thing. The automatic takes 90% of that danger out of the picture. A real car with a legitimate manual transmission would be a different story, but you'd still sit in traffic moving 5ft at a time, if you're lucky.

No comment on the 3 vs alltrack. you know what you're doing around a VAG. Not sure I'd want to pay for one these days!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I personally am on the hunt for a surplus humvee since my new digs are 8 miles off the asphalt, have a fresh LS motor sitting on the shop floor ready for the swap out of that crappy 6.2-liter diesel
how about tesla power for stupid fast?

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
yeah the 0-60 times are pretty disappointing... 0-60 in 6.4: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/stinger/2018/2018-kia-stinger-20-first-test-review/

I actually started hesitating on the manual the second I left the lot in a CTS-v. Beastly car with loads of horsepower, and absolutely terrible to drive. I couldn't picture the kids in such a thing. The automatic takes 90% of that danger out of the picture. A real car with a legitimate manual transmission would be a different story, but you'd still sit in traffic moving 5ft at a time, if you're lucky.

No comment on the 3 vs alltrack. you know what you're doing around a VAG. Not sure I'd want to pay for one these days!
I've seen the G70 0-60 times mentioned 4.4-6.0s, depending on the drive train. If the 2.0T does it in 6, it is moar than enough.
I hate slush boxes and paddle shifters. I need a manual clutch and a stick to be happy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've seen the G70 0-60 times mentioned 4.4-6.0s, depending on the drive train. If the 2.0T does it in 6, it is moar than enough.
I hate slush boxes and paddle shifters. I need a manual clutch and a stick to be happy.
yeah the v6 tt is pretty epic. test drove a stinger with that and awd. It's a blast. Miserable economy for a 2018 car, but ear to ear grin. I would doubt you'll get 6s with the 2.0t, but maybe!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Be suspicious of AWD cars getting 5 second 0-60 times. If it’s rwd, you know it’s the engine, if it’s AWD, it’s clutch drops and revving way up while holding the brake. I think a 2.0T is plenty when the torque comes on down low, but AWD is misleading, much less power up high due to drivetrain loss.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Warranty just ran out on my X3. Now I'm torn between trading it in for a new X3 M40I (hard to justify spending that much), a new RDX (seems like a lot of technology that could go south...much more reasonably priced tho), or just keeping the X3 and dropping money into new suspension and wheels.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Warranty just ran out on my X3. Now I'm torn between trading it in for a new X3 M40I (hard to justify spending that much), a new RDX (seems like a lot of technology that could go south...much more reasonably priced tho), or just keeping the X3 and dropping money into new suspension and wheels.
Have you driven the new RDX yet? They say it is a lot like the 1st gen one that I loooove. SH-AWD is great.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i'm thinking of buying a 2004 bmw 545i with the smg transmission. whoopee doo!
There is nothing wrong with those engines. Those cars are cheap to fix too. Pretty much exactly like a honda civic. You will be able to live with the comfort of knowing how little you paid for such an awesome car and how stupid everyone else is.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Test drove a 2003 M3. Cool car.
There is a brand new M3 with a Brazzers license plate frame illegally parked in my neighbors handycapped spot, the urge ti deposit one of my dogs giant steaming turds on the windshield is strong.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
There is nothing wrong with those engines. Those cars are cheap to fix too. Pretty much exactly like a honda civic. You will be able to live with the comfort of knowing how little you paid for such an awesome car and how stupid everyone else is.
It’s a tarp!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Be suspicious of AWD cars getting 5 second 0-60 times. If it’s rwd, you know it’s the engine, if it’s AWD, it’s clutch drops and revving way up while holding the brake. I think a 2.0T is plenty when the torque comes on down low, but AWD is misleading, much less power up high due to drivetrain loss.
Did you vote for Trump?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
There is a brand new M3 with a Brazzers license plate frame illegally parked in my neighbors handycapped spot, the urge ti deposit one of my dogs giant steaming turds on the windshield is strong.
How do I get a Brazzers license plate frame for my M3 if I decide to buy it?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
thinking about buying a bmw e60 545i with the SMG transmission sight unseen off of ebay, then driving it back to the house. Sounds like a good idea, right?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
thinking about buying a bmw e60 545i with the SMG transmission sight unseen off of ebay, then driving it back to the house. Sounds like a good idea, right?
Definitely, especially if the drive home is at least 500 miles.

I bought my allroad sight unseen in Chicago after flying there and drove it back to Pittsburgh with no issues.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It’s only 150 or so. I’m glad you had safe travels with yours. This seems like a great deal, but it’s also a 2004 545i with the smg