Quantcast

Check out my new service loaner!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
this.

would have gotten if i still lived in colorado....

really wanted VR6 passat 4motion.....hard to find nice/used....
Yeah, I normally do not buy new for sure, but VW is blowing out their '17 models like crazy. This car was on the lot in Charlotte sitting at $8500 off of MSRP, and I used my USAC license to knock another $500 off. $9000 off on a car that I really wanted, I had to to jump on it. It is good luck most Americans do not like wagons.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Yeah, I normally do not buy new for sure, but VW is blowing out their '17 models like crazy. This car was on the lot in Charlotte sitting at $8500 off of MSRP, and I used my USAC license to knock another $500 off. $9000 off on a car that I really wanted, I had to to jump on it. It is good luck most Americans do not like wagons.
they had just come out when i was looking a year a go i think.....just ended up getting a 2014 5 cylinder jetta wagon w/big fucking sunroof....fan of no car payment...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I may be able to convince my wife to let me get a BMW. I do not need convincing not to get an Audi. Would love a RWD, manual GC, but an auto would be cool. I just don't need awd for where we live.
If you get 8spd GC, you have to get the adaptive cruise control, worth it’s weight in gold. Recently tried the Toyota version, it’s a joke. the bmw is better than the subie version I’ve tried too.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I may be able to convince my wife to let me get a BMW. I do not need convincing not to get an Audi. Would love a RWD, manual GC, but an auto would be cool. I just don't need awd for where we live.
Use this to sell. It will totally work. Hahaha.

In all seriousness, if there is a semi-open budget, the Q50 Red Shift is fucking amazing. I took one out for an extended test drive and damn near traded in the M and the Subaru right then. It's not the M by any means, which is a god damn brute, but fuck it's nice and smooth and the Wifey liked it. Plus she wasn't terrified to 1) be in it, 2) be in it, 3) have the girls in it, 4) think about driving it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you get 8spd GC, you have to get the adaptive cruise control, worth it’s weight in gold. Recently tried the Toyota version, it’s a joke. the bmw is better than the subie version I’ve tried too.
The Infiniti version as of 2013 is nice, but turns off at 0 mph. I'm not sure what the newer versions do.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Personally, I think a 4-wheel vehicle should be utilitarian. A sporty car is such a waste of resources. If you want to have fun driving, get a 2-wheel vehicle. then you can really have fun. and they're cheaper and better on gas. then you can get an EV and do the right thing for the planet. Fun, functional, and virtuous... all in one (or two)!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Personally, I think a 4-wheel vehicle should be utilitarian. A sporty car is such a waste of resources. If you want to have fun driving, get a 2-wheel vehicle. then you can really have fun. and they're cheaper and better on gas. then you can get an EV and do the right thing for the planet. Fun, functional, and virtuous... all in one (or two)!
I prefer to have fun even when I am not expected to during daily mundane routines, therefore having a small lightweight vehicle that I can toss around and that gives me at least some utility (like getting a bike to a trail head) is absolutely a life saving thing for me. Wifey drives the utility vehicle, I don't need two. Motor bikes are super impractical things I don't have time for anyway.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Not that the OP's priorities are anything like mine, but like Jeremy I jumped on a deal recently: Leased a 2018 Ford Fusion Energi Platinum with a net cap cost a cool $12k and change below MSRP. On the other hand the residual sucked, but if I do decide to buy it at end of lease term it'll have been equivalent to buying it for $12.xk under, financed at 0.5% APR.

2" hitch, check. Ski pass-through, check (and I'll put Nokians on it). Electric quietness around the city, check. Whale penis stitched leather dashboard, check. Enough headroom for my big noggin, check.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Not that the OP's priorities are anything like mine, but like Jeremy I jumped on a deal recently: Leased a 2018 Ford Fusion Energi Platinum with a net cap cost a cool $12k and change below MSRP. On the other hand the residual sucked, but if I do decide to buy it at end of lease term it'll have been equivalent to buying it for $12.xk under, financed at 0.5% APR.

2" hitch, check. Ski pass-through, check (and I'll put Nokians on it). Electric quietness around the city, check. Whale penis stitched leather dashboard, check. Enough headroom for my big noggin, check.
Damn. Two new cars inside of 6 months?

You've spent more time in Germany than me. I'll take your word for it.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
When did you become a dentist?

On a serious note I would do the Beemer 4 GC. Nice f'ing cars.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble getting on top of this discussion. You need a tin box with four doors and four wheels, two of which provide directional control, and which is going to succumb to rust in roughly a decade. You're going to drive on paths filled with fools in similar tin boxes who will impede your journey, and some of whom will turn on flashy lights and charge you money if you drive with any joy.

Fuck the bling, get the minimal vehicle which will get you from point a to b and back, and spend the rest on bikes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm having trouble getting on top of this discussion. You need a tin box with four doors and four wheels, two of which provide directional control, and which is going to succumb to rust in roughly a decade. You're going to drive on paths filled with fools in similar tin boxes who will impede your journey, and some of whom will turn on flashy lights and charge you money if you drive with any joy.

Fuck the bling, get the minimal vehicle which will get you from point a to b and back, and spend the rest on bikes.
Dad? Is that you? I thought you were dead?

:D

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

one might say the same about a bike...do you not own a relatively high end mountain bike because it gives you enhanced smiles in the woods when you could be riding the same trails on something that cost a lot less? same for a better-equipped, funner-to-drive car, especially if it brings a bit of pleasure to something you have to do every day anyway. i’ll show myself off your lawn now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Infiniti version as of 2013 is nice, but turns off at 0 mph. I'm not sure what the newer versions do.
The Toyota shut off below like 25mph or something. The Subaru my parents have turns off when you stop. My BMW will stop itself for 3 seconds, then it will remain with the brake on. You an also engage while stopped, then take your foot off the brake, and it stays there. You do have to press a button on the steering wheel when traffic starts moving again, but basically any time it keeps moving at any speed or stops for 3 seconds or less, you don't have to do anything and if it's more than 3, you just have to hit the re-engage. Nice coming back from long rides hundreds of miles away when you hit traffic.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Toyota shut off below like 25mph or something. The Subaru my parents have turns off when you stop. My BMW will stop itself for 3 seconds, then it will remain with the brake on. You an also engage while stopped, then take your foot off the brake, and it stays there. You do have to press a button on the steering wheel when traffic starts moving again, but basically any time it keeps moving at any speed or stops for 3 seconds or less, you don't have to do anything and if it's more than 3, you just have to hit the re-engage. Nice coming back from long rides hundreds of miles away when you hit traffic.
Current Toyota, Legacy-based Subarus, and a bunch more including Chrysler and Ford act like your BMW. Stop and go capable dynamic cruise was one of my must have features for this latest vehicle of mine.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Close to perfection would be 2004-7 Subaru WRX wagon with current 2.0 (268hp) turbo engine mated to 6spd transmission, 17s with the 4-pot brembos, stage 1 suspension setup, LED lights, modern ergonomics and electronics such as USB, modern cruise control, info-center, etc. Ultimate mtb car.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Current Toyota, Legacy-based Subarus, and a bunch more including Chrysler and Ford act like your BMW. Stop and go capable dynamic cruise was one of my must have features for this latest vehicle of mine.
I rented Toyota one a few days ago, had to be at least a '17 since rental companies never keep stock more than about a year, it had the ACC, but it was a watered down version of what I was used to. My parents got the subie less than 2 years ago too, similar thing, at zero it kicks off (and the car starts rolling forward under it's own power, surprising if you were expecting it to stop). With the subie though the lane-keeping is more aggressive and tends to work better, but that's not a feature I'd have or use (my BMW didn't have it anyway).