Quantcast

Check out my new service loaner!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The s-type is indeed a pretty car. I love black wheels, and if we're talking about the same car, then it looks gorgeous with them. Unfortunately, FWD is right out of the question. I'd consider AWD, but honestly it's snowed two times this year, and it's February. I'll grab some snows on a RWD car.

Surprised you think the kia is funny looking. I really like the look of it, it's like a gas Tesla, but less svelte. I think they did a knockout job with it, but the price is pretty high for a kia. It's pretty well loaded even in base format, with android auto and an auto-dimming rearview. Performance is good, too, just not great. They apparently stole the head of BMW's M division, so the car doesn't handle like a kia. It was nice and flat hitting corners and over potholes as well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
well, not that anybody cares but I spent all day monday shopping for cars. My thoughts that nobody cares about:

1st gen CTS-V: Didn't get to actually drive it since the dealership is a disaster. Felt like the car had been through hell and back, despite 70k on the clock. Shifter feels like complete garbage, and despite being a 2007, the car felt like it came out of 1998. Not for me.

Kia Stinger AWD Base: Awesome car for 35k. A good mix between econo and luxury. The nav system was the best I tested. Pretty fast for such a large car and only 250hp. Not eye-watering fast, but would be fun enough. Tiny visibility out of the rear window. Trunk space is small despite the hatch- the floor is very high. Lots of rear legroom. Kia dealership was awful though- was upfront that I was test driving and they still came back with "look at what your monthly payment could be". Was clear that I won't negotiate on monthly payment. Oh well.

Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD: What a car. Big, felt solid, but didn't feel big. Handled great, very flat. Awesome interior that had some cheap touches and expensive touches as well. Nav felt good, quick response time and simple layout. Didn't feel fast despite 300hp, but it's like a 4500lb car. Loved the luxury touches like sun screens and power rear sunshade. Panoramic sunroof was cool, and the car is super quiet inside.

Infiniti Q50h: decent car, infiniti build is solid but no-nonsense. Lacks that fancy german feel when the door closes, but it also starts when you ask it to, so there's that. Car felt like it had a ton of torque off the line but then fell kind of flat. Steering feel was fine, despite DAS. Didn't get the opportunity to play with it and change the feel. More space in the rear than I remember in the g35.

Looks like the CTS V-sport I had my eye on came back on the market, so I'll make another trip to test drive that, an M35H, a q50h sport, and potentially actually test drive a second cts-v 1st gen.
I think you are going to find the same conclusions with another 1st gen CTS-V, GM really stepped up their game around the time of the 2nd gen. Wish there was an ATS-vsport with twin turbo. 350hp/tq, same wide body suspension as the V.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think you are going to find the same conclusions with another 1st gen CTS-V, GM really stepped up their game around the time of the 2nd gen. Wish there was an ATS-vsport with twin turbo. 350hp/tq, same wide body suspension as the V.
I don't doubt it, but then I'll at least have driven it. Did the ATS get the V6? I thought those came in around 300hp, which is very decent for a lighter car.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I think you'll like the q50 sport. I didn't like the feel of the steering on the base one when it first came out; later iterations have felt much better. I really like how my g37s steers/handles. I don't think the q50 comes in manual, but the auto in sport mode is pretty peppy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And I’m not sure you want a gen 1 CTS-V, those were kinda crappy 400-some HP, the gen 2 was the supercharged ~540hp model with much better dynamics. It’s on Gen 3 now (640hp).
Have you driven a Gen1? Might sound like 420ish HP isn't much compared to todays numbers, but it will whip that ass end with nannies off without issue. You REALLY don't need the supercharger, but if you have the means, WTF. I loved my buddies '05 and after we did the dual disc Monster clutch, it was insane.

My car doesn't have more than about 380hp and yet will kill you easy enough if you don't know what you are doing. Hell, my first Vette only had 300hp and look what it did. :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Have you driven a Gen1? Might sound like 420ish HP isn't much compared to todays numbers, but it will whip that ass end with nannies off without issue. You REALLY don't need the supercharger, but if you have the means, WTF. I loved my buddies '05 and after we did the dual disc Monster clutch, it was insane.

My car doesn't have more than about 380hp and yet will kill you easy enough if you don't know what you are doing. Hell, my first Vette only had 300hp and look what it did. :rofl:
my problem with the gen 1 was just how dated it felt inside. Granted, I was comparing it to cars 8 years newer, but still- seats weren't snug, power options were minimal, quality felt like GM from 2005. The shifter was the real dilemma. I expected mediocrity and was met with worse. I could barely row through the gears with the car parked and the clutch in.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
my problem with the gen 1 was just how dated it felt inside. Granted, I was comparing it to cars 8 years newer, but still- seats weren't snug, power options were minimal, quality felt like GM from 2005. The shifter was the real dilemma. I expected mediocrity and was met with worse. I could barely row through the gears with the car parked and the clutch in.
That’s what I’m talking about, chassis tuning should also be significantly better on 2nd gen. The supercharger of the V model isn’t necessary, but the Vsport and V from 2nd gen should be a much tighter package overall.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The seats are crap for sure (still made by Recaro at least), my Vette has worse seats (first thing I am doing this spring). I only drove his after we had done the clutch and pinon brace. I am a sucker for Caddy interior, though (I did DTS seats in my truck). I loved it and considered trading my C5 for one a few times. If I needed a 4 door, it would e high on the list. Mostly for the LS reliability. I drove a supercharged gen2 coupe with an auto and while it was cool, a manual was needed and I don't know if it is an option in gen2's. The Caddy is a runner and parts are cheap compared to all things euro ///M.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Anybody familiar with leasing? Is a 24mo lease at 235 a mo with 4k down good on a 46k car? This seems like a heckin deal but I've never leased before

http://www.herbchambersalfaromeoofboston.com/new/Alfa+Romeo/2017-Alfa+Romeo-Giulia-429c7e790a0e0ae844812eb167b6b6e3.htm
That’s actually really good, IMO. It implies something like a 72% residual at 24 mo assuming a reasonable discount on the cap cost, which is very inflated/a good thing for the lessee.

Also, good idea to lease and not buy such a thing.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I just spent the day in a 2016 Acura MDX. I really liked the motor in it. Plenty of power. Handles nice for what it is. AWD. Comfy and great sound.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There are better shooting brakes, but do not dislike.

Really want all the hot wagons that are in Yurp, S4, RS4 Avant, RS6 Avant, etc...

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Anybody familiar with leasing? Is a 24mo lease at 235 a mo with 4k down good on a 46k car? This seems like a heckin deal but I've never leased before

http://www.herbchambersalfaromeoofboston.com/new/Alfa+Romeo/2017-Alfa+Romeo-Giulia-429c7e790a0e0ae844812eb167b6b6e3.htm
The Alfa's are a smoking lease right now, they are pushing hard to get cars on the road. Not the best car to buy because of long term reliability and resale but you are looking to lease so who cares :headbang:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The Alfa's are a smoking lease right now, they are pushing hard to get cars on the road. Not the best car to buy because of long term reliability and resale but you are looking to lease so who cares :headbang:
thanks for the tip. the leases are crazy and since I'm now in a position where I won't put a ton of miles on the car, need professional maintenance (ie no brakejobs on a hill), a lease could make sense. I just know nothing about leasing so it's always been buy for me.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I just know nothing about leasing so it's always been buy for me.
It's pretty simple, take care of the car like an adult and like you would if you owned it. Don't put any money down if you can swing the larger payment. If you total it 3 weeks after you lease it you're shit out of luck on the cash you put down. You can probably get lease car on one of those for $30-$45 more a month which will cover small scratches, dents, dings, worn out rubber at lease end, maintenance and usually a set of brake pads. There is probably a $400-$500 lease disposition fee at the end of the lease.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
two calls and two emails from the kia dealership already. the floor manager just called me with "great news". ugh, I need a shower.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
If you want the Kia you have to play them and not let them play you. Give your self 2 or 3 color options that are at local dealers and tell them what you are willing to pay for the car and what you want for your trade in. There is no reason why you can't do everything over email and the phone other than take delivery of the car and sign paperwork. Have pictures of your trade in and the VIN, send it to the dealers and ask them to make it happen. Tell them they have one shot at your business and that you are shopping all the local dealers on the same car.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you want the Kia you have to play them and not let them play you. Give your self 2 or 3 color options that are at local dealers and tell them what you are willing to pay for the car and what you want for your trade in. There is no reason why you can't do everything over email and the phone other than take delivery of the car and sign paperwork. Have pictures of your trade in and the VIN, send it to the dealers and ask them to make it happen. Tell them they have one shot at your business and that you are shopping all the local dealers on the same car.
This. When we bought my MIL car I told them that I had sent emails out to all of the local dealers that had the specs that I wanted. I wasn't married to a specific car, just a range of specs and each of them had that range. I was going to go with the best price and that was it. I told them that I was out of state and would be handling everything for her, even setting up the appointment for when she would come in to finish the paperwork, the rate we were going with (perfect credit, I knew what rates and deals they had around rates, etc) and never talked to a person until I accepted. She walked in with my wife, who was in CA and made sure that everything was square, they signed the paperwork and done. They got her for a service plan, but that was a little add on for somebody who realistically needs that structure. We got the lowest price by a few thousand and that was it.
Don't tell them what you are willing to pay, tell them what you want you can be extremely specific or "these three colors, this engine, these two interiors, these two wheels, etc" just know the website price for them and any deals they might have outstanding for them. Let them fight over you.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks dudes. I'm not sure I'm ready to buy the kia yet. I want a RWD car, all the ones on the market are AWD, and that option adds $2g to what is already an expensive car. I have to wait for the RWDs to come out, and then play the game, if I'm still in the market. The car hasn;'t been out long enough to really haggle yet, either. I'm looking at some cars that have been on the lot since October, that makes them easy pickins for negotiating. I'm just cheesed that this is how they started the process.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Thanks dudes. I'm not sure I'm ready to buy the kia yet. I want a RWD car, all the ones on the market are AWD, and that option adds $2g to what is already an expensive car. I have to wait for the RWDs to come out, and then play the game, if I'm still in the market. The car hasn;'t been out long enough to really haggle yet, either. I'm looking at some cars that have been on the lot since October, that makes them easy pickins for negotiating. I'm just cheesed that this is how they started the process.
I agree. Hold out and get the Porsche.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, there are some good AWD cars, but you'll dump a bunch of money into them trying to make them feel like RWD. These companies have wised up and they will try to sell you AWD if you live in Georgia, because one time, every few years, it will snow, and everyone knows what you need when you can just wait it out for a few hours, is AWD all of the time, because there's more profit to be made by selling you this option. You absolutely do not want BMW 335/340/435/440s in AWD, they are horrible handlers that way. Best just to wait it out and get the RWD like you say. Tell them to shove their AWD up their ass.