Quantcast

Check out my new service loaner!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
For a new car? Hell, even 43K these days isn't really luxury car money, the germans strip the cars out at that price-point so you have to add the shit that you'd normally expect to come on such a car, which usually puts them closer to 50K. 33K is just normal honda accord territory. Accord EX-L with the 2.0 turbo starts at 33K.

I remember when you could get a nice new car in the 20s. Those days are long gone.
:stupid:

I was reading the new sedan shootout of 600+ HP 4 doors ranging from $80k for the CTS-V (budget luxury) to the $170k Panamera. The new ///M5 crushed even though it isn't offered in a manual, but I think price as tested was $125k. The article was talking about both the price as well as the HP. 10 years ago 600hp was supercar territory, not 4 door grocery getter. :rofl:

https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2018-bmw-m5-vs-cadillac-cts-v-mercedes-amg-e63-s-porsche-panamera-turbo-comparison-test-2018-bmw-m5-page-5

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Don't tell that to @stoney
It's stupid. Better 0-60, 0-100 than a current model Ford GT. 99.99% of owners will never use that car to capacity. Shit, I'll never use mine to limit and it's nowhere near that level.

The e39 M5 (99-03) was a slap in the face to the concept of a super car. BMW no longer was making the M1, so they didn't have a super car; just the 8-series grand touring. They wedged a V8 race engine into the 5-series body and had their race division design the suspension (back then M was still the race division). You can see it in the reliability and cost of repair, because you are fixing effectively a near super car. On a side note, when you adjust for inflation, the e39 was $105k is present day dollars.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Eh, the Alfa I was looking at was 35k after incentives. It's not luxury but near luxury, while the bolt for 36.5 is a penalty box. So that's a of money for a mediocre car.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Eh, the Alfa I was looking at was 35k after incentives. It's not luxury but near luxury, while the bolt for 36.5 is a penalty box. So that's a of money for a mediocre car.
A guy at work bought a used Volt with like 20k miles on it for like $18k or some crap. Work was giving $1k on used EV's, he loves it. But he is a nerd, not a driving enthusiast. Like this one:

https://www.carrchevrolet.com/used/Chevrolet/2014-Chevrolet-Volt--b49d3ec70a0e0aea64fea8f0de3d452e.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtOLVBRCZARIsADPLtJ1bIUyc7Djatj6elQnFs7CI6Wk7Jh2Hid4QM89LW4if5g6wyUkgh28aAulFEALw_wcB

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A guy at work bought a used Volt with like 20k miles on it for like $18k or some crap. Work was giving $1k on used EV's, he loves it. But he is a nerd, not a driving enthusiast. Like this one:

https://www.carrchevrolet.com/used/Chevrolet/2014-Chevrolet-Volt--b49d3ec70a0e0aea64fea8f0de3d452e.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtOLVBRCZARIsADPLtJ1bIUyc7Djatj6elQnFs7CI6Wk7Jh2Hid4QM89LW4if5g6wyUkgh28aAulFEALw_wcB
Great commuter if you can play the long game and get panels installed on your house. If you can pay out of pocket and get all of the govt discounts, it breaks even usually in 7-10 yrs on electricity alone. Saved gas probably drops that down as well.

Will your soul die some because you gave up a part of it though? Yes. Will it ever forgive you? No it will not. Don't be a bitch and drive a car*.

*Bolt can be replaced with Camry, Prius, Civic, Fusion eco, etc.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
After 11 years I am thinking it is time to retire my old GTI so I too have started down the "what car should I buy" path. I would like something fun to drive, manual transmission and can easily stuff my bike in the back for when I need extra security. I figure there is a good chance this could be the last car I have with a gas engine and possible manual. Anyway I have explored all the options and I think I will end up with another GTI. I could do a Golf R but can't justify the extra money for extra HP I will never use in Seattle traffic. Pretty exciting stuff, a new version of my old car that looks almost identical except for fancier lights.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
After 11 years I am thinking it is time to retire my old GTI so I too have started down the "what car should I buy" path. I would like something fun to drive, manual transmission and can easily stuff my bike in the back for when I need extra security. I figure there is a good chance this could be the last car I have with a gas engine and possible manual. Anyway I have explored all the options and I think I will end up with another GTI. I could do a Golf R but can't justify the extra money for extra HP I will never use in Seattle traffic. Pretty exciting stuff, a new version of my old car that looks almost identical except for fancier lights.
Audi QS5

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I got it becomes it only comes in manual.

28618711_10101402861606288_4095888797953680453_o.jpg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I got it becomes it only comes in manual.

View attachment 128328

Fun fact: In installed some CNC machines that made brake calipers for the 3rd gen Camaros. We had problems getting sober operators. In their defense I would have to be drunk to live in Dayton. Anyway I had to deal with all kinds of "operational issues". One day I notice parts coming off the line had cylinder bores 0.010" over spec. I notified the manufacturing engineer, he shipped them anyway.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fun fact: In installed some CNC machines that made brake calipers for the 3rd gen Camaros. We had problems getting sober operators. In their defense I would have to be drunk to live in Dayton. Anyway I had to deal with all kinds of "operational issues". One day I notice parts coming off the line had cylinder bores 0.010" over spec. I notified the manufacturing engineer, he shipped them anyway.
Yeah, pretty much the same frustration my professor that used to be the head of GM Ergonomics would convey to us in class. He knew how to fix many of the issues that plagued the cars, but there was no hope in actually getting corporate to do it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
A few problems:
I have a mortgage in Seattle, too spendy
No manual transmission
I am not a real estate agent or a trophy wife, I have no need for a luxury compact crossover SUV
It would be fast...

And won’t your hand fall off usIng a manual shifter?

Stop clinging to the past. That might also make your hands fall off.

Can you find a manual 5 series bimmer wagon? The middle console was pretty nice, and would nicely cradle a freshly shod hand.

I ogled one for a while before I came to my senses and got a kickass soccer mom grocery getter SUV. 260 horses pulling me straight to pickup the kids from daycare. With AWD, I might add.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It would be fast...

And won’t your hand fall off usIng a manual shifter?

Stop clinging to the past. That might also make your hands fall off.

Can you find a manual 5 series bimmer wagon? The middle console was pretty nice, and would nicely cradle a freshly shod hand.

I ogled one for a while before I came to my senses and got a kickass soccer mom grocery getter SUV. 260 horses pulling me straight to pickup the kids from daycare. With AWD, I might add.

AWD? You must be able to really load up on milk and bread when it snows you rugged sonofabitch.

Didn't you get a Mitsubishi?

I've looked around for something more on the used scale but most things worthwhile have too many miles for my taste. I have a 50 year old Volvo for sitting on jack stands.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
A few problems:
I have a mortgage in Seattle, too spendy
No manual transmission
alltrack......room for your pooch/bike.

would have gotten one but did not want a car payment....got used jetta sportwagen with auto/5cylinder instead....

the salesman thought it was odd that i folded down the back seat to so that i could lay down in the back comfortably.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
more worthless updates:

test drove a 2004 330i ZHP in arrest me red the other day. What a fun car to drive. Some power on tap, not enough to immediately wrap your car around a tree, and great handling. Unfortunately, the car had a history of like 9 owners and it showed. I'll keep my eye out for a stock one, maybe a low mileage example will turn up. There's also a local 335i in 6s/rwd that would be fun, but I'd prefer to have a lower mileage car.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
///M a 2nd or 3rd gen wagon

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
^ Volvo with a turbo? Them things can move and sound the business. Plus they are pretty funny to hear go chooching by with a whistling turbo, with a dog in the back like its normal.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
AWD? You must be able to really load up on milk and bread when it snows you rugged sonofabitch.

Didn't you get a Mitsubishi?

I've looked around for something more on the used scale but most things worthwhile have too many miles for my taste. I have a 50 year old Volvo for sitting on jack stands.
Yep. She’s a sweet rig. I got some dirt on it once.

I saw an older V70R over the weekend. It was manual, AWD and probably fast. They’re probably hard to find, but gosh they’re nice.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
When I graduated high school a Wrangler was one of the cheapest cars on the road that you could buy. It cracks me up that today people pay close to $40K for the modern equivalent which has changed very little.
More, even. A couple years ago I rented a Wrangler in Utah (from a company that actually let you take it off road) to drive around and camp in for a week. It was certainly capable off road, but got about 15mpg, and keeping it straight on a highway at 85mph was a chore. Road and wind noise were awful, and it rode like shit.

Looked it up, that thing (4 door Rubicon with leather and shit) retailed for something like $46.5k. :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ooh, they just moved the red rwd giulia from the crappy dealership to the one near me with great lease deals...hmmm, maybe RM will be able to make fun of me //After all.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
More, even. A couple years ago I rented a Wrangler in Utah (from a company that actually let you take it off road) to drive around and camp in for a week. It was certainly capable off road, but got about 15mpg, and keeping it straight on a highway at 85mph was a chore. Road and wind noise were awful, and it rode like shit.

Looked it up, that thing (4 door Rubicon with leather and shit) retailed for something like $46.5k. :rofl:

To be fair, it is an FCA product so actual sale price is probably discounted a good 5 digits.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
How easy is it to test drive a vehicle a Carmax dealer already has at the site?

I don't want to spend hours there and then get pestered for weeks afterwards. Local dealer has a variant of a vehicle wife and I would like to try out.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it was pretty easy. Walk in an ask to test drive it, schedule an appointment and test drive it. My dude was pretty accomodating, he sat in the back seat with my 11mo while I drove the 425hp cadillac. He was cool.

You might get pestered about it though. He wasn't bad (like the kia guy) but he did let me know when repairs were done and the car was ready to go again.