Quantcast

what makes a frame more "comfortable" than another?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've been looking off and on all summer for a road bike, but couldn't find anything that I liked well enough to buy AND that I could justify the price of.

I'm not looking for someting super high performance - comfort is a bigger concern for me. I rode a Specialized Allez... nice bike, but it felt very harsh. Am I just spoiled by my 6" full squish mtn bike? I've read that aluminum is very harsh feeling, and carbon fiber inserts (especially in the seat stays) help quite a bit... but most of the bikes with CF seat stays are out of my price range.

Should I be looking at steel frames? Any tips for a comfy ride?

Thanks.

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
What you are looking for in a road bike is something that you can sit on all day with out various body parts going numb. This comes frist from geometry and the bike fitting you properly. Second is frame material, nothing is going to feel like your full squish Mt. Bike. The best you can hope for is less vibration over rougher roads. If you are looking for cheap and comfortable look at steel frames or Aluminum with carbon forks.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
Also some bike shops pump up their tires to 100psi+ and that may have effected your ride considering most roads arn't made of marble. Here in Toronto I can only stand, at the MOST, 80psi or my "choda" will start getting numb after about 30min. I have both a steel and alu with carbon fork. I enjoy the steel much better but the alu one is still very nice.
What price range are you looking at?

-B-

Chimp
Materials have a lot to do with the way a bike feels, there is also geometry and wheels and tires. First thing you need to figure out what you goals are for riding a road bike and how much you are going to ride. Then you can plan on a budget accord ling don't for get to factor in accessories (shoes , shorts, etc) As for fit I can not stress enough to get fitted properly. Try out lots of different bikes male sure to do a short sprint, climb and a tactical high speed corner, wear what you would normally ride in for clothes and shoes. Brands to look at for great value for the money Fuji, Jamis, KHS, and Rocky mountain.

Now for the materials (I'll stick two basics) Al is a lot better than it use to be it can now afford you a compliant ride if the geometry and tube selection is done correctly. Steel can be made as light as an Al frame now and be a lot more comfortable for the all day ride. CF rear ends add the advantage of vibration dampening, lighter weight, and a resilient ride, on either steel or AL.

Wheels can also play a big role in how a bike rides ask if you can try different types on bikes a full spoked wheel (32 or 36) will give the most comfort.

Olyroller

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
Olympia, WA USA
-B- said:
Steel can be made as light as an Al frame now and be a lot more comfortable for the all day ride.
Wheels can also play a big role in how a bike rides ask if you can try different types on bikes a full spoked wheel (32 or 36) will give the most comfort.
Yeah - what he said.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Just a thought, but have you considered a cyclocross bike? Might be something to think about for several reasons:

1. Better tire clearance. Most road bikes I've seen look filled with a 25c tire, vs. my cyclocross bike which can fit up to 40c's or so. If you're not training hardcore, it might be better to run 28cs at 80psi, vs. 25c's at 110 psi.

2. Might be cheaper than a road bike. Now I haven't priced road bikes, so I could be way off on this, but I got a CX bike for $1100 with 105 drivetrain, and a decent component spec.

3. Geometry/handling generally in between a road bike and mountain bike. Slightly more relaxed, etc.

4. Versatility. Throw on the 35c cyclocross tires, and go ride it on same tamer trails. Throw on 28c slicks, and go run with a road group.

Cyclocross season is now underway, so you might be able to pick up a used frame/bike at a decent price soon. If you got one soon enough, there' s a race Nov 7th in Greene.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
chriskaiser said:
Also some bike shops pump up their tires to 100psi+ and that may have effected your ride considering most roads arn't made of marble. Here in Toronto I can only stand, at the MOST, 80psi or my "choda" will start getting numb after about 30min. I have both a steel and alu with carbon fork. I enjoy the steel much better but the alu one is still very nice.
What price range are you looking at?
80 is way to low im 120 pounds ans i rida at the same PSI

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Nate at RIT said:
Just a thought, but have you considered a cyclocross bike? Might be something to think about for several reasons:

1. Better tire clearance. Most road bikes I've seen look filled with a 25c tire, vs. my cyclocross bike which can fit up to 40c's or so. If you're not training hardcore, it might be better to run 28cs at 80psi, vs. 25c's at 110 psi.

2. Might be cheaper than a road bike. Now I haven't priced road bikes, so I could be way off on this, but I got a CX bike for $1100 with 105 drivetrain, and a decent component spec.

3. Geometry/handling generally in between a road bike and mountain bike. Slightly more relaxed, etc.

4. Versatility. Throw on the 35c cyclocross tires, and go ride it on same tamer trails. Throw on 28c slicks, and go run with a road group.

Cyclocross season is now underway, so you might be able to pick up a used frame/bike at a decent price soon. If you got one soon enough, there' s a race Nov 7th in Greene.
Definitely a good suggestion. I have a cross bike and love it. Tires make a really big difference. Seat, post, bars, tape, tires and wheels make a lot more of a difference than frame material if you ask me. Frame material can help but I wouldn't put too much stock into it. I ride an Al bike with an Al fork but it feels pretty freakin soft with 28s or 31s on it.