Quantcast

what rubber are you rolling?

Nov 8, 2006
Del Mar
my bike needs new tires, i live in san diego, and you guys know how often it rains here :disgust: so i ride around poway alot, lake hodges every once in awhile, and this really sandy but nonetheless decent trail near my house. i was thinking schwalbe muddy marys, but i'm not sure yet. I mostly ride dry dirt conditions, and occasionally rock gardens, so i need a tire that has strong sidewalls, and good traction in dry conditions. can anyone recommend anything? thanks

i ride a 2.8" Michelin DH32 up front and a 2.5" DH24 in the rear and ride the same exact conditions as you and so far, they have been the most magical pair ive ever ridden down here... they are also really strong and made of a good compound rubber for riding S.D.

only problem is that theyre just as pricey as Maxxis...

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Maxxis High Rollers OR Mobster's if you can find them.

I've been using a 2.7/2.5 combo and it works out great. I could probably do 2.5 f&r and still be fine. They seem to hold well with the rocks here and such.

Anything with a open void design should do good in Socal. The specialized chudder's, the barracuda's, and the Nevegal's all seem to be what you see out on the trails (along with Maxxis/Michie) stuff.

hbfrdh

Chimp
Mar 23, 2004
I'm running Kenda Nevegal 2.5/2.35 on my small bike and 2.5/2.5 on my DH. I love how these perform. I ride many trails with lots of rocks, and many loose/silty/sandy spots, and I love how they keep a straight line on steep chutes. You can get them in either DH casings or folding beads.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hutchinson Octopus or Barracudas! Seriously dude, I've ridden the old Hutchinsons from 2 years ago, which sucked, tires from Intense and Maxxis. But none of them have compared to the traction and control I get from the NEW Octopus' or Barracudas. I have ridden Kendas, and those are really good also. I recommend the NEW Hutchinson Octopus or Barracudas.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
:thumb: Intense 909 (50) FRO's 2.7/2.5
Super strong casing, super sticky rubber, just don't corner too hard on asphalt or you'll have gravel stuck in the nubs. The 50's have lasted almost 2 months and 2 races. The 60's and 70's use the same tread pattern, just a bit harder compound.