Quantcast

What scene makes the best XC race photos? (Fontana, CA)

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Gonna head to Fontana to photograph the XC race this Saturday, but have never shot a bike race before. Are there any situations that make better photos?

Here's my current take on it, but I'm just guessing:

- Climbing probably gets "grunting face" shots but not a lot of action.
- Riding DH probably doesn't convey XC racing too well.

So that leaves me thinking techinical but flat, fast sections might be the way to go. I can get some background blur with the speed, the rider is concentrating while picking his line through the rocks, the rider is pumping but doesn't look dead, etc.

What do you guys think?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
There are a lot of good shot options at Fontana. I like to see technical terrain - that's where you get some good facial expressions. There is a good singletrack section (depending on the course they use) right by the road that goes up to the DH start. Also, the backside offers some good climbing photos because there are some pretty steep little sections where people will be going slower and looking dead.

splat

Nam I am
Technical terrain. as steep as a Climb mnay be , once you take the picture , it just doens't look that sttep !

But tricky , Mud , rocks, water always make for interesting shots

go to the ride reports and look for Ashford, Dalton, Pats Peak, Great Glen or any of the Other 24 Hr races to get Ideas

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
mix it up, but the most tech spots, or natiest conditions, or anywhere there might be a good spot for passing, or a spot where riders are getting airborn.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you ask me the climbin shots suck. Most XC races around here have the photographers taking pictures on climbs or flat sections, boring. The only race where I ever wanted a picture of myself had some cool jumps and nasty berms where you were practically horizontal. The only pictures I saw were of me climbing with the "I'm taking a crap" facial expression.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I'm not afraid to hike a ways (carry all my gear in a backpack) to find an interesting spot. No point in spending the gas/hotel $ and burning a weekend for boring shots.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You don't have to hike too far at Fontana. The best shots will probably be on the front side of the course anyway. Oh, and there isn't likely to be any mud or water in Fontana!!!!!!!!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I tried to circle in red the parts that I remember as having more exciting stuff. What are all the colored dots on the map? The yellow dot seems like it's where the big hill climb was. THere is one interesting DH section after it.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I tried to circle in red the parts that I remember as having more exciting stuff. What are all the colored dots on the map? The yellow dot seems like it's where the big hill climb was. THere is one interesting DH section after it.
Thanks for the info, looks like you circled one climb and two descents. Is there access to your far-right circle through the neighborhood to the north, or is it all fenced off?

Are these also the rockiest sections?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
ha, I didn't even notice the elevation profile at the top! So the one I circled by the green dot in the middle is actually the descent after it...not many rocks, but I think that's where the little tiny drop was, and a GIANT rut always ran through after that making negotiation tricky for some people. The one by the other green dot to the bottom right is a little sidecut singletrack with a bit of switchback where you could get some good tired rider pics. The cirlce to the farthest left is where i remember some rock stuff. There wasn't a lot of technical stuff on that course really. As far as access to the far right one, I don't remember if the neighborhood is fenced off from the course.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Is the race just once around the course, or are there multiple laps? If so maybe I could shoot the first lap from one spot, then move to another spot to get everybody on their second time around.