Quantcast

What seat do you run?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
In the never ending effort to get Mrs JohnE on the trails with me, I have retroed her old Haro. I dumped her nasty old big fat gel seat in favor of a SpeedShe...which she says she hates :confused:
I tell her to ride more, and her butt will get used to it, that it makes you support you etc...
What do you gals ride...I dont want to monkey with the seat/bar/stem angles too much, because the bike was set up by a guy who fit kits, so I am assuming all is good in that matter.

Anybody help?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
First to answer your question about the seats - I have run the SpeedShe and have since changed to Terry Saddles as they are definitely more comfy for me. I have a Butterfly Ti on my hardtail, which is a great all-around saddle, I have a Damselfly on my road bike (minimal padding and much narrower), and a Falcon X on my 575, another all-around great saddle. If I had to choose just one to use on all my bikes, I would likely go with the Falcon X.

Next, some advice (warning this will be quite frank) -- is she wearing a good chamois? A bad chamois will bunch in the wrong spots and or have seams that create much discomfort and chaffing. Also, make sure she's not wearing panties under the shorts...BAD idea!!! And, if she's going to wear a chamois with a pair of regular shorts over it, go for lighter shorts with no seams in the crotch area. Seam=hurt and no nookie for Mr. JohnE ;)

If she is still uncomfortable, try getting some samples or a tube of Chamois Butt'r. If you can't find samples and don't want to get a whole tube, bag balm or even balmex/Desitin/Butt Butt'r (in the baby aisle) will work. These creams all offer a moisture barrier that make for a bit more comfortable ride. Have her put it on wherever she will contact the seat, but she doesn't need a lot either. I personally don't like the medicinal smell/feel of Belgium Butter but some of my teammates like it.

Check the angle of her seat. A slight adjustment will ease the pressure in these sensitive areas.

If all else fails, take her to a shop (I am pretty sure all Specialized Dealers do this) and have her sit bones measured. Having this knowledge, will help you to guide her to a seat that truly fits her.

You're right...over time it will get easier as her nether regions will get more used to the contact, but the above advice should make it a little more comfortable for her to get there.

Last edited:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I ran Terry saddles (Liberator on the mtn bike, Butterfly on the road bike) for a while, but found they break down within a year and a half and need to be replaced.

I now run a Specialized Jett saddle on almost all my bikes.
1) good comfortable supporting part at the back
2) cut out area in the middle so my *ahem* lady parts aren't pressed up into anything and I don't feel like I'm riding a handrail
3) comes in three widths, depending on the width of your sit bones
4) tapers sharply from back to front so that there's no chafing on the thighs

SIT/SITZ BONES
Mens' sit bones are on average between 100-115mm across. Narrower saddles work well for men. Womens' sit bones are on average between 125-140mm across. A woman on a narrow saddle will feel like she is riding a handrail.

It's not enough to have a saddle that's wide enough to accommodate the sit bones. It must also taper to the nose so that a girl doesn't chafe her thighs on the ride.

TreeSaw makes great points.
1. Chamois SEAMS
If there are seams or ridges in the padding in the chamois, make sure they are not in areas that will come in contact with seat and butt. Any time you sit on a seam or a ridge, it will be uncomfortable.

2. Chamois WIDTH
If the chamois is too narrow in the butt, it will not cover the woman's sit bones, and do no good for taking the edge off. If the center crotch area is too wide, it will bunch up, feel like a diaper, and be uncomfortable. Sugoi and Specialized make good shorts.

3. Chamois butter
This should only go where there might be chafing. It doesn't go on your butt. It goes on your legs, e.g., where your swimsuit seam would be. I like Brave Soldier.

4. Seat angle
Guys usually run their saddles straight and level. Women usually prefer theirs angled down 1°-2°. She should not feel like she is sliding off, but should not feel the nose pressing into the soft tissues when she leans forward either.

5. Riding should not be uncomfortable
There are a lot of opinions about what should make up a "professional fitting." If her seat angle bothers her, don't hesitate to change it very slightly.

If you are at wit's end, please have her talk to a woman who rides a lot. She's welcome to call me. PM if she's interested.

Good luck! :)

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I am running various Specialized saddles. They are all a bit different but they are the same size. I got my seat bones measured and went with that. A good saddle supports the skeleton, not the soft bits.

Tree saw mentions adjusting the tilt. That should usually for most women be dropping the nose of the saddle a few degrees below level.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Angled teh nose down, she took a test spin and says it feels better...now I have to get on a longer ride. Thanks all for the advice, wish me luck!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I have a specialized body geometry that I love. I went through several saddles before I found that one. And they are affordable too.