Quantcast

What shock would you pair with this suspension curve?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You already know the answer to 'what shock should I use for a bike obviously designed for an air shock?' right?

My turner rfx has a similar silliness and I like the float x2s on there.
well yeah, it's clearly designed for an air shock, but are we back on air shocks? i thought it was coil on enduro, air on DH now? Was also curious whether a coil with some small air chamber (a la Sunday) would match up well.

thank you for the tip on the float, will search those out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Overall it’s mildly progressive, but at the end it goes regressive to counter air-shock behavior. Unless you are going to get an extra big bumper put on a coil, I wouldn’t go there. When it comes to this stuff, I’d go with the tuner recommendations, they generally won’t sell a coil if it doesn’t work.

Of course, I heard one time about this technology for position sensitive damping...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
well yeah, it's clearly designed for an air shock, but are we back on air shocks? i thought it was coil on enduro, air on DH now? Was also curious whether a coil with some small air chamber (a la Sunday) would match up well.

thank you for the tip on the float, will search those out.
Every coil made has some sort of gas chamber to compensate for oil displacement. An old boost valve RC4 would be fine on that frame. (and does have position sensitive damping like Jm mentions)

I also rode two different push 11-6 shocks on my RFX that blew me away with how progressive they made that bike. That's the only coil I've ridden on a falling/flattening rate bike like that that didn't feel like a bandaid. But those are fuggin expensive and really heavy.

dh bikes aren't any different than trail bikes......tons of each with versatile (or not) leverage curves. I don't know where the 'air for dh' is coming from.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dh bikes aren't any different than trail bikes......tons of each with versatile (or not) leverage curves. I don't know where the 'air for dh' is coming from.
it was a bit tongue in cheek as many enduro riders are switching to coil for more consistency, while many DH bikes are featuring the x2 float to lose weight and gain spring rate tunability.

interesting on the 11.6. It is WICKED expensive though, and I'm not surprised by the weight.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I don't see anything wrong with those curves, smooth progression with steepest part at start of curve means they'll play well with any modern air shock. I find the Float X2 good and the Super Deluxe seems decent too. Maybe a DPX2 with the smaller can would technically mate better, but I like the Float X2 at the start.

In conclusion, a Vanilla DH would be the best for that curve:

You should also read the previous thread on this topic.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah I got ahold of a few from the KHS team way back to replace the romic on my old box frame DHR that couldn't take a reservoir shocks. Sold one with the frame and kept one. I put it on my dw dhr for a while. I really really liked those shocks. They have a bigger eyelet than normal so you have to make or get reducers made.
weren't the dhr's the only frames those were made for? or am i forgetting something else?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
weren't the dhr's the only frames those were made for? or am i forgetting something else?
Nah I had one from an intense m1, and one from a khs whatever the hell they were called back then. Race team stuff, but I think they were an option at one point from intense.

Fox made some remote resi DHX5s for turner. Those are probably what you saw. I actually liked the dh ones with the silly ava chamber better. They were a precursor to the DHX and eventually the RC4s, just bigger and more exaggerated versions. As progressive as the old single pivot dhrs were, that shock worked incredibly well on those frames.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
I don't see anything wrong with those curves, smooth progression with steepest part at start of curve means they'll play well with any modern air shock. I find the Float X2 good and the Super Deluxe seems decent too. Maybe a DPX2 with the smaller can would technically mate better, but I like the Float X2 at the start.

In conclusion, a Vanilla DH would be the best for that curve:

You should also read the previous thread on this topic.
MMMOOOAAAARRR SSSHHIIIIMMMMZZZZZZ

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think some of those came on old Kona frames.

Does the x2 come in frame specific tunes, or is it more general like the ccdb?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
That old Vanilla DH was on the Stab Primo.

MRP has their new coil shock coming out with progressive springs for frames that like air shocks. They're 650 plus 50 or so for a spring. Dayyuum. Crazy how things have become so expensive.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fascinating. What's the back story?
It was on the 3rd rebuild from Romic. First time, if I remember right, it started pissing oil at the rebound adjuster. At first they were throwing the "we've never heard of that before!" for the well known problem, and it lasted no more than 2 weeks after the first rebuild. This happened a couple more times and the last time it simply fell into 3 pieces. Supposedly something blah blah glide ring on the piston bad, blah blah.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Jm took a picture of his bike in 1973 when he bought a crooked frame that broke his romic shock.

he's going for 1 million posts of that picture before 2020. Help him reach his goal!
Almost there

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
People forget Darin from PUSH was one of the founders of Romic. I still remember while at Sea Otter, Darin telling me my new Romic leaking shock was still working fine.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I liked my Romic til it blew up and felt like it hand sand mixed in the oil. On second thought, maybe it did?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Advice on ccdb air vs float x2? I'm a heavier guy at 200lb nude (how is that for imagery) and while I know the air spring in the x2 is better, the cc offers the same adjustability at a much lower cost.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
X2 every day of the week. The CCDB air has be designed before big negative air chambers were a thing and has therefore a poor spring curve...