Quantcast

what should i do?

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
a few days ago i got my wheel warrantied from specialized because i craked a hub and stuff. they sent me an ex 721 on a stout hub. i got it back and i have been riding on it for a few days and did a snow race at alyeska(and won) and i never noticed any diffrence, but i was showing my little sister my bike and she pointed out that the whole rim is offset to the left side by about a quarter inch! the rim is perfectly straight, but the knobs on the tire are about 2 millimeters from the frame on the non drive side, and the tire had about 3/4 of an inch of clearance on the drive side and i was wondering if this could be a problem? and i checked to make sure the axle is in correctly, and it is.

thanks

Oct 9, 2006
Sounds like the wheel is out of dish. Have your LBS re-dish the wheel, shouldnt be more than $15-20 as it does take a little while to do properly.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Quite a few of specialized bikes have "zero dish" rears(big hit, p-bikes...) and the wheels have to be offset to fit. That is probably what you got.

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
i guess that makes sense about the dish thing and all, but i guess the only problem will be putting on a bigger tire, but i dont really think i need anything bigger than a 2.5.
thanks for answering my question!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Specialized wheels for the P bikes are offset by 6mm.

You can redish it, but the wheel is dished correctly (for a Specialized).

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
Tighten all the spokes on the side furthest from the frame by one full turn. If it's not enough, losen the oposite side 1/4 turn and make one more full turn on the other side.

All you're doing is pulling the wheel back over to the other side. Just make sure that you don't over tighten the one side and have the other side loose. And make sure you turn equal on all spokes per side.