Quantcast

what side do you run your pegs on?

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
I'm planning on building my BMX cruiser into an urban assault bike. I've already got the disk adapter for the back, and plan on putting a D-street 24 fork and disk brake on the front. My delima is, do I run pegs on the drive side or put them on the left, and risk damaging the disks?

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
if you don't have a side you're already comfortable with I'd say put them on the right so that you can save your rotors. eventually you can switch your bike to left side drive if you want and you'll have the right side wide open to grind on.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
According the Section 1.82a of the Street Riders Manual; the proper side to run your pegs on is the right side. Unless you are uncomfortable with grinding on that side in which case you can run you pegs wherever you want. I pefer to run my pegs in my back pocket and slide accross the ledge on my ass.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Figure out which way you turn easier and then put the pegs on the other side. e.g. I spin counter-clockwise (to the left) so I run my pegs on the right side of my bike.

With that said...if you run the pegs on the left side you will destroy your disks be very sad...course on the right side you'll just destroy your chain and drivetrain....pick which one you like more and put the pegs on the other side.:rofl:

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
skurfer333 said:
if you don't have a side you're already comfortable with I'd say put them on the right so that you can save your rotors. eventually you can switch your bike to left side drive if you want and you'll have the right side wide open to grind on.
don't you think the rotor will get in the way of the rear sprocket?

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Why don't you just not put discs on it and run your pegs on the left if that's what you're comfortable with...

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
You should really look into getting a P.Street. Specialized is closing them out, and you should be able to get one cheap. I got one last week, and its sweet. It comes with a djstreet.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
formermtboarder said:
^^^ very cool, but if ur a weight bitch dont buy one , its like 40lbs, th efork alone is prob 12 lol

it is a very cool ride though
I weighed one at 47 pounds, I **** you not. It was on a shop scale w/ pegs and everything on it.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
Bicyclist said:
I weighed one at 47 pounds, I **** you not. It was on a shop scale w/ pegs and everything on it.

We have one is stock, and it weighs more then my Iron Horse SGS. I really like the bike, but its 15lbs too heavy. My twofortythree is 17lbs lighter (but my EP on my fork was more then cost on the PStreet)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Depends which way you turn. Go to a mini ramp, ride around on it, see which way is more natural. Put pegs on the outside.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Bicyclist said:
Mines bone stock and has pegs, and does not way 47 pounds. It is heavy, but I guess you'll just have to get stronger....

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
scottjustscott said:
According the Section 1.82a of the Street Riders Manual; the proper side to run your pegs on is the right side. Unless you are uncomfortable with grinding on that side in which case you can run you pegs wherever you want. I pefer to run my pegs in my back pocket and slide accross the ledge on my ass.

I just got a new 2006 copy of the manual, and they revised the chapter on pegs to say that if you have to ask what side, or how many to put on your bike you should probably not be using them anyway.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
escapeartist said:
Mines bone stock and has pegs, and does not way 47 pounds. It is heavy, but I guess you'll just have to get stronger....
Then Supergo's scale was jacked. They weighed it for me there.

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
I just thought of this today, while I was out tooling around on my bike. This is kind of a general question, but anyway. when I ride my right foot is my trail foot. that makes it easier for me to move the back of the bike to the left. so ideally I would want to run pegs on the left side of the bike correct?

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
In what direction do you feel most confident turning?

Put them opposite. If that doesn't feel good, and you're not just getting used to grinding for the first time, then switch them. I wasn't aware that people had to run them on certain sides.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You are riding at an imaginary hip jump. Does it slope away to the left or the right? If it slopes to the left, pegs probably want to be on the right.

ScarredShins

Chimp
Apr 19, 2006
If it's a 24" bmx just leave it as a bmx, but set it up for street riding. There is nothing wrong with sticking to the roots of street riding, and that way you don't have to worry about all the problems brought on with disc brakes and what-not. SS, rigid fork, pegs... the way street should be. BMX will never die!

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
madbob said:
I just got a new 2006 copy of the manual, and they revised the chapter on pegs to say that if you have to ask what side, or how many to put on your bike you should probably not be using them anyway.
:rofl:

I run one on each side of my rear wheel so I can give my friends rides.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
madbob said:
I just thought of this today, while I was out tooling around on my bike. This is kind of a general question, but anyway. when I ride my right foot is my trail foot. that makes it easier for me to move the back of the bike to the left. so ideally I would want to run pegs on the left side of the bike correct?
Yes generally that is true. But some people actually turn towards their back foot, so it is clearer to say put them on the outside of your spin.