Quantcast

What site is everyone using to buy used parts?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Looking to piece together a new hardtail. Any suggestions on a website to buy used parts from?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I search for what I want using active junky. You can compare prices at the usual suspects (Jenson, Backcountry, others) then you get 5-10% cash back as well. Seems like the best thing going right now...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
what parts are you needing @stosh ? I've been on a garage clean out mission.
I would like to put together a new hardtail. My Ironhorse MKIII is in need of a lot of work and parts so I was thinking it might make sense to build a 29er

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Parts needed for sure:
29er Hardtail Frame Size Large
29er fork
29er rims

I'll probably try to salvage the brakes (Hayes 9), gears, seat, etc from my existing Ironhorse MKIII.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Parts needed for sure:
29er Hardtail Frame Size Large
29er fork
29er rims

I'll probably try to salvage the brakes (Hayes 9), gears, seat, etc from my existing Ironhorse MKIII.
How tall are you? What type of terrain is near you? Why married to 29?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You two need to turn in your curmudgeon cards, now.
I am only moderately curmudgeonly. I was sold on 29" hardtails long ago, but not so long ago that I would ever consider owning another hardtail. I always hated FS 29"ers because they handled like tanker trucks with licorice for a steering shaft. However the last one I rode, I have to say handled rather well, even in the tighter slower stuff.

I also didn't see the point in trading fun for making trails easier to ride, but that was when I didn't have very technical trails to ride. Don't have to look far to get in over my head out here.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I guess not really, it would probably make things a lot cheaper if I went with a 26" frame.
I'm asking about 27.5 too. There are a lot of options in that realm too. How much are you looking to spend all-in? What parts do you need? I'm sure there is a RM spare (but always good) parts bike to be built around here. Everybody has something that they want to turn but can't or are too lazy to.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm asking about 27.5 too. There are a lot of options in that realm too. How much are you looking to spend all-in? What parts do you need? I'm sure there is a RM spare (but always good) parts bike to be built around here. Everybody has something that they want to turn but can't or are too lazy to.
I would really like to use parts from existing bike which is has 26” wheels fork etc...but if it’s time to go to a 27.5 or 29 then I’m fine doing that.

Here’s the thing, I had a steel framed 8x1 geared bike that was light, minimal maintenance and climbed like a goat. I loved it. I’d love to recreate something similar for ease of transport, maintenance and riding.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I would really like to use parts from existing bike which is has 26” wheels fork etc...but if it’s time to go to a 27.5 or 29 then I’m fine doing that.

Here’s the thing, I had a steel framed 8x1 geared bike that was light, minimal maintenance and climbed like a goat. I loved it. I’d love to recreate something similar for ease of transport, maintenance and riding.
I might know a guy who's selling a really badass steel 26" hardtail. :D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I might know a guy who's selling a really badass steel 26" hardtail. :D
Dude I see the frame in your Sig. that is way more frame than I need. It’s beautiful but outside of my budget.