Quantcast

What skills are you working on right now?

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
So for my homework this week :) I'm working on manualing down stairs, and hopefully having that translate to manualing over the rollers at the bmx track.

I'm also working on hitting some little jumps. And as always perfecting my bunny hop. I'll prolly be working on my bunnyhop when I'm eighty years old and in a wheel chair. :)

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I'm working on my cornering skills, jumping, and hitting drops bigger than 2 feet. Just got back from a ride at Capital Forest in Olympia, WA--shuttled up twice, so I got some good DH action in and had many switchbacks to practice on. Good times!

Manualing stairs is a great way to learn! I could be working on that now as well--I can manual down like 3 stairs, but anything after that gets scary. I suppose that would be a good way to practice my 2+ foot drops!

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Gaps and hitting the tranny from a jump which has a tabletop after it. I am finding it so hard to let go the brakes and get enough air to clear the lip because I know that landing on the in-between part is going to be a recipe for a splat!

I wish I had short sets of stairs to work on for jumps and manuals. The only set I regularly do is very long and in three sections. I suppose schools might be good for finding these kinds of stairs or urban riding?

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Manualing down stairs would be going down a set of stairs on your back tire. I have not come close to mastering it yet, I can maybe do one stair, but then my front tire comes down. However, I think that if I get it, then when I go over rollers I can do it on my back tire and it's suppose to be faster and a lot more fun.

Colleges and schools usually are great places to find short flights of stairs. I have a set of three steps by my work that I need to get out and practice on.

Ooh! I got my fullface helmet; it's a six six one, and I like it a lot! It's not too heavy, actually very comfortable.

Foxx...A flip whip is doing a backflip and tailwhip and the same time!
Its sooooooooo awesome. Try a google search under the video section to find a video of it. It will blow your mind and make your jaw drop. I just found a video and I was drooling!!!

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
sunnerbeanmtb said:
Foxx...A flip whip is doing a backflip and tailwhip and the same time!
Its sooooooooo awesome. Try a google search under the video section to find a video of it. It will blow your mind and make your jaw drop. I just found a video and I was drooling!!!
Wow, that is totally complex! So you can do a backflip now?

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
Not really working on any skills right now....just trying to ride, ride, ride. I find that just being on the DH, XC or the dirt jumping bike is the best thing to do for me. Staying off the brakes is a HUGE thing that I try to practice every ride, especially the front brake. I find myself talking to myself during a ride....off brakes, no front, need more speed, you suck :rolleyes:

I CAN'T wait for the resorts to open for riding here in Colorado! That's when I'll play on the drops and jumps more.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I, too, am working on using the brakes less on dowhill stuff, and also I'm really going to work hard on lowering my riding stance instead of sitting up stupid-straight when I downhill!

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I did it!!!!!! Last night I manualed down two steps! It took me forever, and I was getting so frustrated that I had to take a break. And when I tried it again I was talking about something to my friend and not paying attention really, and I did it automatically. I was so surprised! I don't know how I managed it, but something just clicked and I was like "oh! that's it!" Now I have to find a four step stair.

And take a picture for you all to see! :)

starrbabes

Chimp
Jun 9, 2006
Puyallup, WA
zoey said:
I did it!!!!!! Last night I manualed down two steps! It took me forever, and I was getting so frustrated that I had to take a break. And when I tried it again I was talking about something to my friend and not paying attention really, and I did it automatically. I was so surprised! I don't know how I managed it, but something just clicked and I was like "oh! that's it!" Now I have to find a four step stair.

And take a picture for you all to see! :)
Good for you! That's a great accomplishment!

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i'm working on some new drop/jump trips, along with bigger drops and going faster on rocks, and not breaking my bike..i might try learning backflips on a bmx too.