Quantcast

What song would you like played at your funeral?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
How about Doc & the Medic's Spirit In the Sky???

The Last Song You'll Never Hear....
Yahoo! | Thu Mar 10

LONDON (Reuters) - Robbie Williams has topped the UK funeral music chart, leaving Mozart trailing in his wake, according to a survey Thursday.

Williams' "Angels" was the record most Britons would like played at their funeral, with Mozart's "Requiem" coming in at five in digital broadcaster Music Choice's poll of top 10 British funeral songs.

Frank Sinatra's "My Way" was second, just ahead of Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."

The rest of Europe favored a more soft rock approach.

Queen's "The Show Must Go On" topped the European chart, with Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" and AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" in second and third place.

Over 45,000 music fans from across Europe were polled, with 20,000 Britons taking part.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
just to be a contrary f*cker, i'd have 'em play this:

http://www.thenewblockaders.org.uk/RRR100.htm

edit - it's a lock groove seven inch record w/ 100 different songs, if no one read the text of the web page. it would be funny to see the poor bastard who had to keep getting out their seat every 20 seconds to lift the stylus and move it to the next song. and i use the term "song" very loosely.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Grateful Dead Black Peter

All of my friends come to see me last night
I was laying in my bed and dying
Annie Beauneu from Saint Angel
say "the weather down here so fine"

Just then the wind
came squalling through the door
but who can
the weather command?
Just want to have
a little peace to die
and a friend or two
I love at hand

Fever roll up to a hundred and five
Roll on up
gonna roll back down
One more day
I find myself alive
tomorrow
maybe go
beneath the ground

See here how everything
lead up to this day
and it's just like
any other day
that's ever been
Sun goin up
and then the
sun it goin down
Shine through my window and
my friends they come around
come around
come around

People may know but
the people don't care
that a man could be
as poor as me...
"Take a look at poor Peter
he's lyin in pain
now let's go run
and see"

Run and see
hey, hey,
run and see

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
-BB- said:
Grateful Dead Black Peter
Good call -BB-, I was thinking Stella Blue.

"All the years combine
they melt into a dream
A broken angel sings
from a guitar
In the end there's just a song
comes crying like the wind
through all the broken dreams
and vanished years

Stella Blue

When all the cards are down
there's nothing left to see
There's just the pavement left
and broken dreams
In the end there's still that song
comes crying like the wind
down every lonely street
that's ever been

Stella Blue

I've stayed in every blue-light cheap hotel
Can't win for trying
Dust off those rusty strings just
one more time
Gonna make em shine

It all rolls into one
and nothing comes for free
There's nothing you can hold
for very long
And when you hear that song
come crying like the wind
it seems like all this life
was just a dream
Stella Blue"

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Angel Of Death

For my funeral I want to arrange for many kegs. Because I wouldn't want people to cry and mope around. It's depressing.

So to arrange for hasty drinking, I'll also have the funeral place pipe out any Phil Collins song, perhaps Genesis "I can't Dance" or something where people will have to drink to drown out the sounds..

Come to think of it, I'd rather not have a funeral. Just set me on fire and float me out to sea or something. Or just throw me in the woods.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Definitely some bag pipes, as I'm a small part Scottish, and dammit, bagpipes are cool. Also, Social Distortion: Ball and Chain, This Time Darling, and Ghost Town Blues. Maybe some Split Lip Rayfield: Never Make It Home.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
When my wife's best friend (and our old roomate) passed away several years ago, her father played Amazing Grace on the pipes at the funeral. I have no idea how he kept it together. One of the most emotional expierences I've ever had.

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
"And Some Ya Lose" by One Minute Silence

"You're not gonna like it
but it has to be said
One day you're nobody
Next day you're nobody DEAD"

The Cheese

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
Agreed...as long as my friends can celebrate the good times we had when I was alive, and not mourn the loss they feel....like any of 'em actually feel loss anyhow.....
bastards. :P

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, no need to keep it somber or angry. let some levity in!

how about something energetic and over the top, like Albert Ayler's version of "when the saints go marching in"?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just want everyone to let off an air horn and do a shot of bourbon everytime someone said my name in the eulogy.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Steve walks warily down the street,
With the brim pulled way down low
Ain’t no sound but the sound of his feet,
Machine guns ready to go
Are you ready, are you ready for this
Are you hanging on the edge of your seat
Out of the doorway the bullets rip
To the sound of the beat

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Hey, I’m gonna get you too

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dh girlie said:
Hey...not to veer off topic here...but have you heard a band called Killswitch? I heard em on XM radio last night and the singer sounded JUST LIKE Mike Patton...I've only heard that one song, but damn that guy sounds like him...
No I haven't heard of em, any good? If he sounds like Patton there's potential there.

My big favorite right now is The Mars Volta, I've been listening to that lot lately. Simply awesome band.

Back on subject:
I'd like to be buried in a simple wooden coffin and NO mortician screwing with my corpse. Let me rot like the dead piece of meat I'd be! (They use formeldehyde & other nasty stuff that poisons the earth)

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
dh girlie said:
Hey...not to veer off topic here...but have you heard a band called Killswitch? I heard em on XM radio last night and the singer sounded JUST LIKE Mike Patton...I've only heard that one song, but damn that guy sounds like him...
You mean Killswitch Engage? I don't know if I hear much resemblance to any Patton stuff, but they're pretty cool. East coast hardcore/metalcore stuff. Perhaps there's another band with a similar name? Mike Patton rocks, I've been listening to an EP he did with Dillinger Escape Plan called Irony Is A Dead Scene. The song "When Good Dogs do Bad Things" would be an interesting funeral number.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Zark said:
No I haven't heard of em, any good? If he sounds like Patton there's potential there.

My big favorite right now is The Mars Volta, I've been listening to that lot lately. Simply awesome band.

Back on subject:
I'd like to be buried in a simple wooden coffin and NO mortician screwing with my corpse. Let me rot like the dead piece of meat I'd be! (They use formeldehyde & other nasty stuff that poisons the earth)
The song I heard was ok...the guy definitely sounds like Mike Patton so much I thought it might be him.

just a simple wooden box? I want some slammin sparkley baby blue with flames and flowers coffin...with a crushed blue velvet lining! :D

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Enginerd A2 said:
You mean Killswitch Engage? I don't know if I hear much resemblance to any Patton stuff, but they're pretty cool. East coast hardcore/metalcore stuff. Perhaps there's another band with a similar name? Mike Patton rocks, I've been listening to an EP he did with Dillinger Escape Plan called Irony Is A Dead Scene. The song "When Good Dogs do Bad Things" would be an interesting funeral number.

That was it and I've only heard the one song...and I have been a HUGE mike patton fan for many, many years and this guy sounded so much like him I honestly thought it was him.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Zark said:

Back on subject:
My corpse will be cadaver-bound, hopefully to a medical school and NOT military weapons testing, followed by cremation, if necessary. I don't really see the point of cemetaries.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
dh girlie said:
That was it and I've only heard the one song...and I have been a HUGE mike patton fan for many, many years and this guy sounded so much like him I honestly thought it was him.
You do have what I consider to be THE Faith No More album, Angel Dust, right? RV is another good funeral song, as is the last track (I can't rememer what it's called). I heard he also did some vocals on the new Bjork album, too.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Enginerd A2 said:
You do have what I consider to be THE Faith No More album, Angel Dust, right? RV is another good funeral song, as is the last track (I can't rememer what it's called). I heard he also did some vocals on the new Bjork album, too.

Of course...I have all the fnm albums...one of my all time favorites. The song I heard is called The End of Heartache...

heh...I refer to those big white water birds as faith no more birds...the kind of bird like the one on the cover of that cd!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Enginerd A2 said:
My corpse will be cadaver-bound, hopefully to a medical school and NOT military weapons testing, followed by cremation, if necessary. I don't really see the point of cemetaries.
I want my bodies nutrients to return to the soil and life cycle in an easy fashion. I'd rather it not be a cemetery, maybe off to the side of a nice trail and plant an oak tree over me. Call me sentimental if you like :D

Ohh yeah Patton kicks arse, listen to Tomahawk and Phantomas if you get the chance, good stuff.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
dh girlie said:
The song I heard is called The End of Heartache...
QUOTE]

Yeah, that's Killswitch Engage. An older KsE song worth a listen is Fixation on the Darkness. I'm not sure that The End of Heartache is really an example of their sound, but I haven't really listened to their new album. Hijack over. Are any of y'all organ donors?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Enginerd A2 said:
dh girlie said:
The song I heard is called The End of Heartache...
QUOTE]

Yeah, that's Killswitch Engage. An older KsE song worth a listen is Fixation on the Darkness. I'm not sure that The End of Heartache is really an example of their sound, but I haven't really listened to their new album. Hijack over. Are any of y'all organ donors?
I am...course they may not want any of my organs...I'm diabetic so my pancreas is outta the question...I try to keep myself in good control so hopefully my eyes, heart and kidneys'll still be in good condition by the time I die!

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
narlus said:
i'm an organ donor. i'm w/ you on the cremation bit too.

actually, a flaming pyre sent out to sea would be cool.
Viking style! Now we're talkin'. Zark has a good point about returning yourself to Mother Nature, though. I just think the concept of a grave plot and marker is ridiculous. One should be remembered for one's achievements and/or in the memories of loved ones, not by a rock with your name on it.