Quantcast

What The F**k!!!!!!!!!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i guess you have nothing of intangible value in your life?

I know nothing about you, but suppose you were married... what would your wife say if you took off your wedding ring and spit on it?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Does anyone know what heppens in the ceremony where you become an american citizen? Do you have to "Pledge" to get your papers?

If so, what would she do?

Oh... is she a citizen already?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by LordOpie
i guess you have nothing of intangible value in your life?

I know nothing about you, but suppose you were married... what would your wife say if you took off your wedding ring and spit on it?
There are tons of things that have intangible value in my life. But I don't assign that value to the symbols that represent them. I assign that value to the things themselves.

If my wife spit on her wedding ring, then that would in fact indicate that she had a problem with OUR marriage. The fact that she had a problem with OUR marriage could definately lead to the ending of OUR marriage. But it wouldn't effect anyone else's marriage nor marriage as an institution. Just our marriage. Everyone else's would be exactly as it was before.

Some girl turning her back on the flag or some yahoo burning it has absolutely no effect at all on the things that it represents. Today, is there some right that you are missing that you had before she started the protest? Has some ideal or value that this country was founded on been damaged? Mine are exactly as they were. I would be more worried about the government (an entity that does that the ability to trample my rights) than I am her.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DRB, I think you and I are arguing apples vs oranges, or perhaps road vs Mt.biking :)

I don't think anyone's suggesting that her actions affect anyone elses rights, values or priviledges. And you're right, just cuz some yahoo turns their back doesn't change what the flag means to others; however, it is disrespectful to everyone that believes in what the flag symbolizes. Just because you've somehow attained enlightenment that allows you to not be affected doesn't mean it's wrong for most others to be upset.

Suppose you're religious, tho I'm guessing from your enlightenment that you aren't, but suppose you are... how would you feel if someone burned a bible or some religious instrument you believed in?

Hmm, i don't think that analogy will work either.

I think I understand the problem. You can't empathize with people who think differently than you.

:D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
DRB, I think you and I are arguing apples vs oranges, or perhaps road vs Mt.biking :)

I don't think anyone's suggesting that her actions affect anyone elses rights, values or priviledges. And you're right, just cuz some yahoo turns their back doesn't change what the flag means to others; however, it is disrespectful to everyone that believes in what the flag symbolizes. Just because you've somehow attained enlightenment that allows you to not be affected doesn't mean it's wrong for most others to be upset.

Suppose you're religious, tho I'm guessing from your enlightenment that you aren't, but suppose you are... how would you feel if someone burned a bible or some religious instrument you believed in?

Hmm, i don't think that analogy will work either.

I think I understand the problem. You can't empathize with people who think differently than you.
Enough with the analogies already......

Aren't you guilty of exactly the samething you accuse me of in regards to this young lady. Not empathizing with her being so upset with the government's policies that she feels compelled to turn her back on the flag. Think about what it would take to drive her to such an end. She obviously thinks differently than you do.

I am guessing by your statement taking pot shots at whether I am religious or not, that you must be. Shouldn't you be looking to forgive her for what she has done or turning the other cheek or not judging her or even looking to see what maybe you could do to help her out.

I thought we were all big boys and girls here that could stand on our own two feet but since you might need a little empathizing..... The point of all of this was to provide you with the thought that maybe you don't have to be so hurt by what she has done. Maybe you could find solace in the fact that the ideals of our country (the ones that the flag represents) are going strong by the fact that she was able to make her protest without getting hauled off into a dungeon somewhere.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
nope, I'm not that religious, not really all that political, not hurt in the slightest... just like arguing :)

how about this...

if her turning her back on the flag should not affect everyone else, then why is that if you call a black person a n!gger, the rest of the community gets all pissed off?

I'm in an analogous mood :p

PS: I'm a jew, we don't have to turn the other cheek :devil:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
nope, I'm not that religious, not really all that political, not hurt in the slightest... just like arguing :)

how about this...

if her turning her back on the flag should not affect everyone else, then why is that if you call a black person a n!gger, the rest of the community gets all pissed off?

I'm in an analogous mood :p

PS: I'm a jew, we don't have to turn the other cheek :devil:
Who knows? I wonder the samething myself. Or why were you so worried to use ! instead of i? Folks are funny.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Originally posted by Silver
Turning your back on the flag is a powerful gesture. There are still a lot of people who are angry at Tommie Smith and John Carlos for their raised fists at the Mexico City Olympics. Making a statement that involves the flag in some way seems to be an action that raises powerful emotions.

I have trouble understanding why. There are no inherent freedoms that the flag grants, those are in the bill of rights and the constitution. And recent governments have had no moral issues with ignoring those when it suited them. The flag symbolizes the original 13 colonies and the 50 states. To me, it also symbolizes the diversity of people and opinions that live in those 50 states.

I guess it comes down to this: If you believe in freedom of speech, you will defend what this woman is doing. If you believe in freedom of YOUR speech, you won't.
Do you know how tough it was being a Black man or woman in 1968 :dead: :dead: :dead: ,in those times life was tough for the wonder ful Blacks of America ,and at the Olyimpics we used them cause when they came home they where shunned ( and it had nothing to do with their defiance ,just cause they were black :eek: :rolleyes: ) enough ,I think we should deport the byatch and her stinky family back toward the sudan desert ,fricking POS ,and get of you high camel ;)