Quantcast

what the lightest, strongest wheelset/ rim,hub combo?

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Pretty broad question..

But for what its worth..

Im building up some Hope Bulb hubs onto ceramic 721's (D521) with Alpine III spokes pretty soon here. Ive ran 521's for a long time and really like them for their stregnth/weight. I dont know that much about the hubs, but from what ive looked at and experienced they seem kick ass.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
well, first of all, the strongest wheelset sure as hell isn't gonna be the lightest, and vice versa, but i'd say king hubs, revolution or supercomp spokes, and 721 rims. should be very light, and plenty strong for your weight if you don't abuse them

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by zedro
while we're on the subject, whats the smoothest, crunchiest peanut-butter and jam combo?
it's all in the application man. Ya just gotta find a skilled "spreader".

biker3

Turbo Monkey
I made that question really lame and broad my bad. I still can't decide what wheel to build or to just go with dee-max. I race a lot of DH and do some freeriding. I do decent sized stuff but i mainly want a setup that is really light yet still strong.

Im thinking maybe ex729 with king hubs
or ex 823 with kings
or dee-max with the crash policy
any other suggestions?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by zedro
while we're on the subject, whats the smoothest, crunchiest peanut-butter and jam combo?
While polymer-based, mass produced butters such as jif, peter pan, skippy etc will inevitably glide onto your average breaded surface with greater ease, loss in taste and true peanutty goodness found in the natural, straight ground variety should be your primary concern.

As far as fruit spread.....just buy anything Amish.......and pay with a credit card.

KL

Chimp
Feb 2, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Originally posted by Fulton
king hubs, revolution or supercomp spokes, and 721 rims. should be very light, and plenty strong for your weight if you don't abuse them
:thumb: I agree! I run nearly this same combo (except with burlier spokes) and love the wheels.

Kevin

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I'm running Hadley and Hopes on Rhynolites...usaully only have to replace the rim once all season...I weigh about 190....D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
If you want light, you can't beat D521 on hope bulb or CK hubs with Sapim CX-ray spokes and alloy nipples. Or D3.1 rims if you want to run tubeless.

The people know I speak the truth! :)

MxPw17_rr

Chimp
May 4, 2004
Tahoe
With out a dout the stongest wheelset is the atomlab trailpimps (little heavy) but if you build them up with hadleys they set at a decent weight, depends on what bike you put them on, but you will never bend them.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by kidwoo
While polymer-based, mass produced butters such as jif, peter pan, skippy etc will inevitably glide onto your average breaded surface with greater ease, loss in taste and true peanutty goodness found in the natural, straight ground variety should be your primary concern.

As far as fruit spread.....just buy anything Amish.......and pay with a credit card.
Skippy Chunky all the way!!!!!! I can't handle the natural stuff, it tastes like its good for you.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany

wuahahahahahaha!!!!

my opinion on lightweight and yet strong enough wheels for dh:

Mavic EX721, DT 2.0-1.5-2.0 Spokes, standard brass "nipples" and go for tune MK front hub and the Kong rearhub!

not cheap, but oh well ;)

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by biker3
I made that question really lame and broad my bad. I still can't decide what wheel to build or to just go with dee-max. I race a lot of DH and do some freeriding. I do decent sized stuff but i mainly want a setup that is really light yet still strong.

or ex 823 with kings
any other suggestions?
DeeMax with MP3 (crash program). I havea set and have no problems at all...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA

what you say about peanut butter is true, partially hydrogenated oils make for smooth spreading but the fact that they pretty much go in and never come out is kinda scary! Trader Joes or Laura Scudders PB for me please! umm I love Amish mail order jam!

http://www.amishfruitspread.com/checkout/ccbill.htm

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by biker3

or ex 823 with kings
any other suggestions?
Did you hammer your 219's because they were an OEM wheelset with cheap spokes and poorly maintained? The 219 is made of cheaper alloy than higher end Mavic rims so they butter fairly easy. I have had no issues with D321's, D521's and EX823's. My vote is for what I run.

•King ISO Hubs
•Mavic D3.1's (EX823's)
•DT 14/15 Black spokes
•Alloy 12mm long nipples

This is a quote from me from a previous thread on this topic.

The last time we had a thread on this topic I stated my opinion, and I still feel the same and since then I have logged a lot more miles/usage on my wheels. Here's my opinion.

D3.1's or EX823's are a great rim for all purpose use on a mid travel trail bike. Especially for guys who like to jump and do mid sized drops etc. I DJ and hit drops on mine just fine(so far). Probably not the best rim for DH or hardcore freeride, but okay for DH race runs. They do seem to be "softer" than the hard ano 321/521's...Here is my current XC/Freeride wheelset on my damn near exactly 30lb. Kona Bear Dee-Lux:

-EX823 32h
-King ISO Hubs (QR)
-DT Competition 2.0/1.8 spokes
-DT Alloy 12mm nipples

Total Wheelset Weight=approx. 2150gm.
(including valve stems and nipple buckets, from weight weenies, actual weight)

-Mavic DeeMax UST wheelset
(Same rim but weaker overall due to 4 less spokes per wheel)

Total Wheelset Weight=2425gm.
(From Weight weenies, actual weight)

That is a 275gm. (well over 1/2lb) weight savings and an increase in strength over DeeMax. In fact CrossMax XL's with 24 aluminum spokes and smaller/lighter rims weigh 1850gm. I know my rims are way stronger than that and only 300gm. (2/3lb.) more! I am running Michelin Wildgripper Hot-S 2.5's front and rear at 785gm. ea. I also run a minimal amount of stan's sealant in each tire casing. I lose very little air, pretty much can't get a flat, my rims are virtually bullet proof for anything but super gnarly DH runs, although I do take them down rocky trails often. I have huge tires get tons of traction (28-30psi front, 32-34psi rear) and massive versatility, I have never been happier with an overall wheelset. And that's out of more than a decade of wheelsets. Including 321's, 521's, Tioga DH's, Sun Ryno's/Mammoths/singlewides(bitch to mount tires!), lots of Mavic XC rims(317/517), etc. I am bummed that some people are having a hard time with the rims but I love them and highly recommend them as do a lot of my friends, including two of my friends who have them on Bullits w/Z150's and beat the crap out of them (XC/Freeride) about 5 days a week, no joke! Buy some and see what you think, if you can find them anywhere:D
and after another month of hard riding I still, still feel the same;)

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by punkassean
Did you hammer your 219's because they were an OEM wheelset with cheap spokes and poorly maintained? The 219 is made of cheaper alloy than higher end Mavic rims so they butter fairly easy. I have had no issues with D321's, D521's and EX823's. My vote is for what I run.

•King ISO Hubs
•Mavic D3.1's (EX823's)
•DT 14/15 Black spokes
•Alloy 12mm long nipples

This is a quote from me from a previous thread on this topic.

and after another month of hard riding I still, still feel the same;)
DUUUUDE! how did you make those cool dot things?:D

oh ya, thats a good wheelset too

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Eh, I'm riding rhynolite XL/XT disc wheels, while there not too Chi Chi I've yet to have any real problems with the strength and while they aren't XC rims they aren't too heavy to pedal either. With a lighter hub they'd be pretty okey dokey for guys like me. Getting tires on and off is a pretty big chore though, my next rim will be a 521/721 just because they have the deeper profile.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
Originally posted by Kornphlake
Eh, I'm riding rhynolite XL/XT disc wheels, while there not too Chi Chi I've yet to have any real problems with the strength and while they aren't XC rims they aren't too heavy to pedal either. With a lighter hub they'd be pretty okey dokey for guys like me. Getting tires on and off is a pretty big chore though, my next rim will be a 521/721 just because they have the deeper profile.
well, having had both rhynolyte/ditchwitch and 521, the difference isn't huge, it's easi-er to get tyres on but still not easy. regarding my MOFOs at least. 521's definately seem to be a good rim.

My shop has some XYs in so i'm gonna pick em up before i can't anymore. they're a tad wider than 521s but should be just about the same design, and they're 24" so they should build up nice and light.