Quantcast

What the U.S. military budget accomplishes

That will definitely be the case if they keep giving 100% disability to all these deployment dodgers and fakers. The new generation of military sits around in med hold barracks discussing what they can get diagnosed with in order to get a medical discharge then run straight to the VA for their percentage.
My nephew is working into becoming a lifer (air force, stationed with army special forces), and the culture of collecting supposed medical issues seems to be strongly built into the culture.

I have some medical shit, notably hearing loss, related to my "service", but I'm fucked if I'll ever talk to the VA.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My nephew is working into becoming a lifer (air force, stationed with army special forces), and the culture of collecting supposed medical issues seems to be strongly built into the culture.

I have some medical shit, notably hearing loss, related to my "service", but I'm fucked if I'll ever talk to the VA.
Lots of pilot folk flying for major US carriers that are ex-military getting 70-100% disability from the military on top of multiple hundreds of thousands/yr working as a pilot. Bootstraps and all, because they are not employable with the disabilities. So much so that the VA and FAA are working together now investigating a few that "have conditions with the VA" that would technically prohibit them from being pilots in the first place.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey JM, give me one more very good reason to not fly on commercial flights among the hundreds that already exist. Maybe one specifically related to passenger safety and is really egregious.

Lots of pilot folk flying for major US carriers that are ex-military getting 70-100% disability from the military on top of multiple hundreds of thousands/yr working as a pilot. Bootstraps and all, because they are not employable with the disabilities. So much so that the VA and FAA are working together now investigating a few that "have conditions with the VA" that would technically prohibit them from being pilots in the first place.

Thanks!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
There was a piece on NPR not too long ago about this.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There was a piece on NPR not too long ago about this.

That's related, but a bit different. The number that are claiming 100% with the VA, even with no FAA disqualifying conditions, as in they aren't concealing it on their FAA medial, is far greater. The 100% is supposed to be if you aren't employable, but the way the system works, it is easily BSed. If you are able to land a normal civilian job...then there should be no 100%?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Here is the way it works with the VA, you can get any rating all the way up to 100% and still work, The permanent and total rating does not imply a disability or disabled status obviously since so many are trying to milk the system.

SSDI (Social Security disability) is another story, if you collect any SSDI you can not work or you lose your bennies. I believe it comes out to 600 bucks a year for any earnings.

Both are non-taxed as well.

The name of the game these days is to buck the branch you served in with a medical discharge, get your 100% from the VA, and then take a new job with your veteran preference gifted via the VA.