Quantcast

What tires are best for Syracuse dirt?

crashdwn22

Chimp
Jan 3, 2007
I go to school at Syracuse (I'm a minute's ride from skytop) and I was wondering what the best FR/DH tires are for the conditions? Not for winter riding, I mean, but for spring and fall. I'm a freshman and so I haven't been up here too long so I'm not sure which tires are best suited for it. During the Fall it was wet and usually pretty slick. Should I drop some swampthings on it or is that gonna be too much? (I'm only slightly concerned about weight). thanks

and if you can show me where to get em cheap, that'd be nice too...

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Hey man I just graduated from E.S.F. and am actually going there this weekend, to bad for the snow because I always love an excuse to ride skytop. Trust me ride there as much as you can while you are there, it rocks. I ran hutchinson octopus 2.3's while I was there was well as maxxis highroller 2.35's and both seemed to work well for the rocks which are all over the loop and the clay pit as well. I'd probably reccomend some hutchinson barracudas mrc medium compound, they will be lighter then the octopus...they dont come cheap though. The highrollers worked fine, and you can get them pretty cheap and new on ebay but the ones I had were doublewalled so they were heavy as heck. Go 'Cuse.

crashdwn22

Chimp
Jan 3, 2007
Hey, thanks for the info. It is too bad you're coming up in the snow (although as it stands right now I couldnt go riding anyway as my bike is currently in parted form). Greenfishsports.com has some cheap octopi (2.3 and 2.5, low and med compounds) and I found a couple places with high rollers for like 20 bucks more each. Is the roller that much better or should I roll on the octo's? I was thinkin 2.3 medium on the rear, 2.5 low on the front. I assume that will keep me pretty firmly planted.

what kind of bike did you run while you were here? I'm setting up a hardtail FR bike.
Go Orange(men)

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I liked the octopus better then the high rollers personally, they seemed to be good on those rocks for whatever reason. You might want to ask around too and not just take my word for it. While I was there I had a giant AC and it worked really well for that kind of riding. Once it gets nice again I'll definately be heading back there a couple of times to ride, from what I hear there has been a bunch of new stuff built since I rode there last in like september.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
The trails are pretty rocky there so it dries out fast. I've ridden there with everything from xc to dh to slick tires (grew up in Fayetteville so I got to ride it lots). Doesn't matter much in my opinion. Rock it once for me!

JYETI

Chimp
Dec 14, 2005
I would recommend a 2.5 front and 2.35 rear both super tacky and dh casing. I used high rollers and they could take a hit without a flat and still pedal well. Check cny dirt on the internet it is a group that organizes rides in that area. Syracuse has many hidden areas that are great riding.

crashdwn22

Chimp
Jan 3, 2007
thanks for the info, monkeys. i think im gonna go with some hutchinson octopi. on sale at greenfish. now i just gotta worry about getting my bottom bracket, crankset, pedals, stem, handle bars, and cassette...heh