Quantcast

What to do...

Fokker

Chimp
Mar 13, 2003
A-Town Oregon
I'm currently riding a Bruiser 1 that has seen some extensive changes in the time I've been riding.

I'm (hopefully) getting a Zebdi to replace it and will be pretty stoked once I get a real trials bike built up.

If I could get opinions about a few of the parts I have on, and will have on in the future, and perhaps any other general info about what works where and why I would be very appreciative.

What now:
Kinesis Max Light fork-->Picked this up from checking out Jeremy Vanschoonhoven's bike, as it's the only dedicated trials bike I've seen around here in Southern Oregon

WTB Lazer Rim on LX front hub-->don't know if I should just add a heavier Rhyno Lite with Ritchey hub or not, weight worth the added strength here?

Femmco rear rim (stock on Bruiser 1) with a cheap sun hub and a Kujo 2.35" tire-->changing the rear wheel to a CK hub and probably a Mavic 521 rim, but am unsure of what rim would really be the best to put on the back, what about other tire options, is a 2.35" really necessary?

Truvativ Hussefelt Trials cranks and bashguard-->I don't know if anybody else has had extensive chainline problems with this set-up, or if it's just that I'm still new enough not to get chain tension correct, but I've been consistently bumping the chain off while pedaling and riding in my smaller cogs (with more chain slack), not to mention I'm not the smoothest yet, what might be a good replacement set-up for my cranks?

Cheap Truvativ bb-->have a Race Face Evolve FR bb to replace it with 'cause I don't know if I'll even be able to get the old bb out of the Bruiser frame when I switch everything over

Running a cheap road mech and cog set in the back-->which I'll most likely keep unless there is something I should be specifically looking out for

Mix 'n Match brakes with an Avid Arch Rival in Back and a cheap Shimano V pulling duties in front-->Don't see myself going over to hydraulics any time soon, but have thought about getting some mechanical Avids, any un-biased thoughts about discs? Anybody else able to dial in their v-brakes and get them to lock up really well without tarring the rim?

Kona clump stem with Crow Bar handle bars-->I tried a longer stem and now have a shorter stem because I felt it easier to manual (not that I can do it very good) and also to get the front end up when hopping up stuff, better to go long or short with the stem, and I figure strong bars are better than some light weight XC bars

So what kinda set-ups do any of you guys like to run, and what's the inside info on the good equipment out there. I'm sure that anybody who might come along and read this thread would be interested to know what everybody is using and why...

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Hey man..

Good choice on the PX Zebdi. There are a LOT of very good trials riders in my area, and the Zebdi is by far the leading bike. It is good for every aspect of trials.

The Kinesis fork: A great lightweight fork. Not especially strong, but very light. Just keep an eye on it.. should be fine.

Front wheel: I like having a Rhyno Lite for the added width so my front tire doesn't fold on natural terrain. Not really a big deal though, narrower rims work fine too!

Rear wheel: Chris King hub is definitley THE hub. I like the Alex DX32 rim because it's insanely wide, so your tire will not fold over on rocks. The 521 is a great rim also.

Rear tire: It's really personal preference, anything from 2.1 to 2.5 is pretty good for trials. My next tire will be the Hot S 2.1 in the rear.. may be a little small, in which case I'll go with the Comp24 2.2. Basically, 2.2-2.3 is the norm.

Crankset: I've never used the Truvativ but they look like a great deal. I run Bonz trials cranks, love em. As for the chain jumping off.. if you can remove a couple links from the chain, do it! I've never had a problem with my chain coming off. I run it quite short, so the derailleur cage is at about 45 degrees, forward. I also never shift, and don't even have a shifter :)

Road derailleurs are the best, as are road cassettes.

For brakes: V-brakes are great news. The Plazmatic CRV pads are by far my favourite pad for them. (The ones with metal backing plates). The key to getting V-brakes to work great is getting good levers - like XTR or the nice Avid speeddials.

Avid mechanical discs are sweet.. but I only would run it in the front. Discs have a lot more modulation. On the front, it makes you look and feel smoother... but on the rear, it feels less precise and a little scary. If you are very smooth and don't rely on your brakes too much, a rear disc can be a great asset. But the on-off feel of a rim brake is really nice for 90% of us!

I like the feel of a trials specific bar/stem myself, but that's just a personal preference. Longer bikes are more suitable for 'real trials' moves like sidehops, back tire moves, etc. Shorter stems are nicer for street moves. Just run whatever's comfortable, but dont be afraid to try different setups!

My Personal Setup:

mk4 Zebdi
(soon) Brisa fork
Monty bar/stem
Bonz cranks
King rear hub, DX32 rim
(soon) dual Hot S 2.1's
HS33/RB lever rear brake
Avid/DX vee front brake

blong

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
San Diego
i run truvativ trials cranks. i had my chain fall off to the oustide occasionally, so i took a 32t chainring, ground off the teeth, and ran that in the middle ring position. keeps the chain on the small ring. one of these days i'm going to bolt a piece of aluminum to the inside of the small ring to keep the chain from falling off to the inside, but that's not a big problem.

it really is nice having a wide rear rim. i run a PX BMF.

i run tioga 2.3s front and rear

Fokker

Chimp
Mar 13, 2003
A-Town Oregon
Today after posting the initial thread here the mailman showed up at my doorstep with my Zebdi! I was so stoked I ran off to the shop to build it up immediately (much to my manager's annoyance).

It's up and running and is a world of difference over the Bruiser 1 I was using. I want to say that using a real trials frame makes riding so much easier. The Zebdi kicks some serious arse.

Funny thing I've noticed too, rode the Bruiser to the shop and dropped the chain twice on the way back to my house for some left behinds to put on the Zeb, and after building up the Zebdi I didn't drop the chain once. Coincidence probably, but I did run the chain pretty tight.

I hear the Middleburns are really nice, and wouldn't mind checking out a pair of 'em.

Also has anybody here checked out some of the other Alex rims, specifically their rim called the MT34? Where is there a US dealer that can order the full Alex line-up? One of my friends at the shop has been looking for the Supra Sigma rims to build up a wheel set with but he was unable to find a US distributor.

rBGH

Chimp
Apr 8, 2002
Boston
I've got last year's zebdi & truvativ trials cranks, and have minimal problems with losing the chain - maybe twice, to the inside. Have the chain pretty short but could take out another link or two, presumably that will eliminate the problem altogether.

Fokker

Chimp
Mar 13, 2003
A-Town Oregon
After putting together the Zebdi I scored from Bonk I have had no chain problems. I don't know what it is, either the bike lets me be that much smoother, or the chainline is just way better.

Anyway, a thanks to Bonk is in order for getting me hooked up with a "real" trials bike.