Quantcast

What to look for in a new bike?

jumpergirl

Chimp
May 28, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Hi everyone. Newbie here. I mountain biked only once before and fell in love with the rush! So I went today to buy a bike and I'm so overwhelmed with all the details! I originally went in with the intentions of getting a women's specific bike, but now I'm not sure if that's totally necessary.

I'm looking in the $1000-$1500 range. For that price, what should I be looking for in a bike? The guys at the different bike shops we went to were talking in a complete foreign language (bike talk). Here are the two I was looking at (but don't even know if these are good/bad bikes).

1) Women specific Trek Fuel EX 7

2)Specialized FSR XC--Men's small

The catalogue lists the specifics for each, but I have no idea what any of it means.

Are there any women out there that have an opinion either way on the women specific thing? I'm 5'4", weigh 123 pounds.

Thanks!
jumpergirl

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Get the bike that fits you and what you'll be riding best. There's no point in getting 5" of travel if you don't see yourself riding anything but singletrack. (ie. no drops, stunts, etc.)

What are some of the specifics you're confused about? Post 'em and we can help explain.

EndoKing

Chimp
May 29, 2005
Glendale, CA
jumpergirl, I recently went looking at bikes with a girl who is 5'2". What I found about the women's specific bikes is that the frame is slightly different than a men's frame. For one thing, the seat position is closer to the handlebars. That is because a woman will have a shorter upper body and longer legs than a man of the same height. At your size, you should at lest take a look at a women's specific, it can't hurt. You mentioned the Specialized FSR XC in men's small, I know Specialized also makes that bike in a women's specific.

I also found that at least the Specialized bikes have lighter suspension fork, because women are generally lighter. This will give a better, smoother ride. I myself am a small guy, weighing about 125. On my bike I had to change out my front shock springs, because the bike came set up for a rider weighing 160 - 180. When you look at bikes, ask about the front suspension. FYI - usually, the rear suspension is adjustible for weight, but you can ask about that too.

Look at a few, see what fits you, notice the differences, and then get the one you like the best. Good luck, and have fun.

What my suggestion is;

Go back to those bike shops, take a few hardtail cross country bikes out for a test ride from entry level to high end. Then take out a few full suspension bikes from entry level to high end. What you need to do is find the bike that you feel comfortable on. Don't listen to these idiots telling you that "you need 5 inches of travel".

What I am trying to tell you is that when it comes to riding bikes, IT IS ALL ABOUT PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Nobody can tell you what bike is better for you than your own body. Once you ride these bikes from entry level to high end, then is when you are going to start understanding all the "bike shop lingo" and the componentry differences. You may not be able to repeat them back to someone but you will know what the componentry difference feels like when you ride it. AND THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.

Good Luck!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<PURA VIDA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<RIDE HARD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You might post this in the Mud Hunnies forum. Many women surf there, and there aren't as many "Dude you need a 5 inch bike" posters.

I was sales manager at my shop, and one critical question I ask is what kind of bike have now and how much riding you do. It gives me a better idea is which bikes you should be looking at.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Good call. Def. go with the Specialized Womans FSR XC. That bike is awesome. But yet again, which ever you feel most comfortable on is what you should go with just like what everyone explained in here.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, my bad. I reread your post, and I see you have only ridden once before.

If your budget can afford it, I would not worry too much about the specifics. Both bikes are very nice, and you will not be able to get a good answer from our site about fit. For example, if you are arms are particularily long or short, that would have an effect on your fit. Or if you had a back or neck problem.

I would probably focus on the shop which you bought it from. Do they treat you well and do you have faith in their mechanics. And obviously the price is the final word.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
a few notes on WSD, the frame geometry is specifically tweaked for a "typical" or average female, who would have longer legs and a shorter torso.In addition, you might find shorter cranks, narrower handle bars and a w saddle. If you are NOT this body type WSD may not be for you.

Components. WSD bikes typically have less options and levels of componentry than a similar bike that is not WSD.

WSD is a great concept IF you are the correct body type. I know a gal with long legs and short arms who loves her Juliana. However, I fit best on a men's bike, my torso and legs are about equal. I have a longer back than "average".

I really hate how shops assume that you want or will fit a WSD just because you are female. It's a starting point is all.