Quantcast

What to strip powdercoat with?

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Hi. So, I want to polish my frame. I've looked at all the paint srippers at the hardware store, but none make any mention of stripping powdercoat. A guy at an autoparts store said I'd need aircraft-grade stripper. Is this true? If so, where might I come across the stuff? If anyone has any experience repainting their frames, I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks.
:confused:

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Colin
Hi. So, I want to polish my frame. I've looked at all the paint srippers at the hardware store, but none make any mention of stripping powdercoat. A guy at an autoparts store said I'd need aircraft-grade stripper. Is this true? If so, where might I come across the stuff? If anyone has any experience repainting their frames, I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks.
:confused:
I believe that most chem strippers will work. I use Jasco Gel Paint Remover, it paints on and stays there, bubbling off the finish.
It actually will dissolve any plastic or paint but not organic materials, hence being able to use it on wood. It even takes paint off of leather.

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
You can get Aircraft paint remover at Advance Auto parts, PepBoys, Auto Zone, etc.. It's in a spray can and works great. I use it on all my repaints and polishing jobs. If you want to polish you frame and get into all the little and tight areas, check out Eastwood Co. for all kinds of buffing heads, pads, wheels, and compounds. I do a ton of custom H-D work and this place has top quality stuff at decent prices.