Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Tranz NZ?
If so I would like to offer my humble apologies for the post stage beers selection.
When I saw the riders were being offered Double Brown and Tui I was horrified!
Texted a few brewery owning mates to get them to step up and sponsor it next year.
Yep, thats the one. Mate after those days, any beer was welcome (although that Monteiths Pilsner was actually awesome). On the final day I got straight into the beers and forgot to scan my timing chip back in so I had to slink back the next day and do it to get my times.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
For a race of that profile, would a DHF not be a better choice? You can get it lighter (in a 2.5 EXO), and it rolls a heck of a lot better. I don't feel it drops that much in traction (though that is very much condition dependant - there is no doubt the Magic Mary performs much better when it's wet and goopy out, which I hear can happen from time to time in Squamish...)
The DHF is definitely still my go-to for gravel, sand, dusty and dry conditions, but I'd bet that unless Squamish has had an unseasonably hot month leading up to the enduro that its still gonna be wet roots, loam and slate. Ideally, you could take both and decide after practise which would work better. IMO, the DHF rolls a decent bit better, but Squamish isn't likely to have long speed-tuck straights.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The DHF is definitely still my go-to for gravel, sand, dusty and dry conditions, but I'd bet that unless Squamish has had an unseasonably hot month leading up to the enduro that its still gonna be wet roots, loam and slate. Ideally, you could take both and decide after practise which would work better. IMO, the DHF rolls a decent bit better, but Squamish isn't likely to have long speed-tuck straights.
I'm definitely the weirdo (or one of the few) who doesn't ride DHFs around here (Sea to Sky Corridor). I should just experiment to get re-acquainted with a DHF 2.5 exo maxxgrip and see how it goes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm definitely the weirdo (or one of the few) who doesn't ride DHFs around here (Sea to Sky Corridor). I should just experiment to get re-acquainted with a DHF 2.5 exo maxxgrip and see how it goes.
Having now experienced the magic Mary after running dhfs for a few years I can say they (dhf et al) are an acquired taste. You have to like the drifty space, and enjoy slamming into the wall of cornering grip. The magic Mary is much more even across all lean angles...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Having now experienced the magic Mary after running dhfs for a few years I can say they (dhf et al) are an acquired taste. You have to like the drifty space, and enjoy slamming into the wall of cornering grip. The magic Mary is much more even across all lean angles...
I don’t like slamming into much.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Do the DHR II's also have the "drifty space"?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
^ Yours or @kidwoo ?
I know he has talked about teh cutz.

Any comment regarding the differences between them and Mary / DHF - ifin ya got the experiene?
(Both stock and cut - I would be down to cut if it makes a big difference, would not be the first time.)

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
^ Yours or @kidwoo ?
I know he has talked about teh cutz.

Any comment regarding the differences between them and Mary / DHF - ifin ya got the experiene?
(Both stock and cut - I would be down to cut if it makes a big difference, would not be the first time.)
that's the kids pic.
i just mounted a dhr ii on the front and have 1 ride on it. i plan to give it a few rides stock then do the cut to compare. i've never ridden a schwalbe tire but have lots of years on the dhf, just not recently. i've been on butchers for the last several years.
based on today's ride and my aging rememory the dhr ii definitely brakes better and has a smaller 'window' at the transition point to the side knobs. i went back and re-read kidwoo's review after my ride today and it's pretty spot on with what i experienced in stock form. granted i'm in dry and looooose over hard everywhere i ride which is where i'd expect this tire to perform at its best.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
that's the kids pic.
i just mounted a dhr ii on the front and have 1 ride on it. i plan to give it a few rides stock then do the cut to compare. i've never ridden a schwalbe tire but have lots of years on the dhf, just not recently. i've been on butchers for the last several years.
based on today's ride and my aging rememory the dhr ii definitely brakes better and has a smaller 'window' at the transition point to the side knobs. i went back and re-read kidwoo's review after my ride today and it's pretty spot on with what i experienced in stock form. granted i'm in dry and looooose over hard everywhere i ride which is where i'd expect this tire to perform at its best.

Cheers!

Have used Mary's recently, not been on DHF's for years.
Lately have been using the Wild RockR'2 which I really really like in the dry or loose over.
However, with the lower center knob depth I have issues when the clay dust gets really deep mid / late summer.
With no sign of a downhill version, I'm thinking of either DHR II or back to Mary for when the dust gets deep.

Hell I may just go right off the rails and try and stuff some Cush-core and Exo 2.4 WT DHR II's on a set of 25mm internals.:panic:
From what I hear that just may take me the 6 weeks left until the lift opens, or maybe the frustration would be worse than cabin fever? o_O

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
minimized. as i said above, the transition window is just a bit smaller than i recall on the dhf but it's still there to a degree.
Thanks. I would like to try the DHR II. I'm fine with the DHF (the old school 2.35s that are more like 2.1s and newer 2.5 maxxterra both in 26") but I'm not that skilled at laying the bike over and absolutely railing flat corners so I'm also ok with a more gradual transition to the side knobs. Currently trying a 2.3 wtb vigilante (26") dual compound on the front. Seems ok so far based on a couple of rides.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
as I recall, wasn't it some sort of hot butter knife? As in a specifically designed heated knob cutter (for off-road applications).
It's all coming back to me now!! It was something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-KnobbyKnife-Heated-Tire-Cutting/dp/B00H3QJ5PA

Although with all the crying about rubber compounds that goes on around here I'd be worried that the heat might change the structure of the rubber and alter the softness/hardness :disgust:. Any materials science monkeys on hand to confirm or dispel my fears?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
What do you guys think of the original 26" high rollers? I'm thinking of replacing the high roller (60a, 2.35 that is more like 2.1) on the back with a dual compound wtb vigilante (not the stickiest rubber) because it has more volume and I'm using a hardtail again. No experience with the wtb on the rear and I'm currently trying one on the front.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Your tire's on backwards.

sorry

It had been a few months. I got quotas you know.
I sense you are not the biggest fan of Schwalbe thread designs. To my excuse, I bought a pair for $20 and only use it on my winter bike, for which it performs amicably.

PS: The tire is not on backwards.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
OG hr Corners good. It will drift if you brake while cornering and won't brake as well as other tires.
Solid for a cheap rear DH tire imo. It really rails when paired with a Dhf up front and doesn't give out as quick on the corners as a hrii. Hrii is far better in every other element though.
How is it compared to a dhf as a rear tire?
I agree with the cornering aspect. I'm not that skilled at flat corners but I don't remember the HR sliding out except on shiny wet hardpack clay (like floorwax) during the rainy season where no tire does well to be honest.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What do you guys think of the original 26" high rollers? I'm thinking of replacing the high roller (60a, 2.35 that is more like 2.1) on the back with a dual compound wtb vigilante (not the stickiest rubber) because it has more volume and I'm using a hardtail again. No experience with the wtb on the rear and I'm currently trying one on the front.
the Vigilante does not roll anyewhere near as well as the OG Highroller. I ran a OG HR for a trip to Sedona once because it was the only tire at the time that came in a DH casing, had decent rolling resistance, came in a 2.3, and was reasonably light enough to be run for trail riding (I think it came in at around 1100g). I was able to run it tubeless on a Flow EX. In a sense, IMO, it was the precursor to current enderpo tires (except the lizards stopped making them in freakin' 26"). I'm not sure what kind of terrain you're riding on, but If I were you, I'd look at what Maxxis offers in 26" with a DD casing: there's the Minion SS (of which I have one for sale on Pinkbike buyn'sell), the Aggressor (great all rounder), HR2, DHF, DHR2.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
the Vigilante does not roll anyewhere near as well as the OG Highroller. I ran a OG HR for a trip to Sedona once because it was the only tire at the time that came in a DH casing, had decent rolling resistance, came in a 2.3, and was reasonably light enough to be run for trail riding (I think it came in at around 1100g). I was able to run it tubeless on a Flow EX. In a sense, IMO, it was the precursor to current enderpo tires (except the lizards stopped making them in freakin' 26"). I'm not sure what kind of terrain you're riding on, but If I were you, I'd look at what Maxxis offers in 26" with a DD casing: there's the Minion SS (of which I have one for sale on Pinkbike buyn'sell), the Aggressor (great all rounder), HR2, DHF, DHR2.
I can probably go with an exo casing because the trails I ride on are not rocky. The next municipality about 10 km away has lots of rocks but I don't ride there anymore.