Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah go try a newer butcher or slaughter. It's nuts. I had some 2.6s that were the best trail bike tires I've ever had. Just got a 2.3 slaughter and a 2.5 DHR2 3c. The specialized tires punch that 3c maxx terra in the pussy. I wish to god spesh made a 2.4 or 2.5.
Interesting. I do want to pick up a Slaughter, the a Minion SS is just too square. Slaughter looks better. Could try one of those Butchers too while I'm at it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Guess a question is how do the Spesh 2.6's measure compared to Maxxis 2.5's?
They're pretty big. The main reason I'm not running them is the rear rubs my rear triangle. I do like the smaller diameter too.

Maxxis is all over the place. The 2.6 butchers are bigger than a 2.5 maxxis by a good bit. The 2.6 maxxii tires are pretty similar in size.

Side note: Some guy rolled up to me in downieville last year with some 2.8 maxxis tires. I've never uncontrollably laughed out loud and pointed at a stranger's bike like that before. It was a true organic moment.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They're pretty big. The main reason I'm not running them is the rear rubs my rear triangle. I do like the smaller diameter too.

Maxxis is all over the place. The 2.6 butchers are bigger than a 2.5 maxxis by a good bit. The 2.6 maxxii tires are pretty similar in size.

Side note: Some guy rolled up to me in downieville last year with some 2.8 maxxis tires. I've never uncontrollably laughed out loud and pointed at a stranger's bike like that before. It was a true organic moment.
Oh so you were running a 2.6 Slaughter in back?

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
Every TR EXO DHF and DHRII I’ve had from maxxis in 26” would mount to a Stans rim with a floor pump and no sealant. I add sealant after seating the bead via valve stem injector.

It’s odd that the mid weight tires will not do that, I agree.

Very excited about double down Butchers!!!

I’ve yet to figure out which tire is best for sand and kitty litter, now that I’ve decided DHF is not it.
The best bone dry tire I've tired is the wild rockr'2. I personally feel the DHF is a badass bone dry tire, but it is very focused on drifting corners, not braking, climbing.... The rocker will surprise you at how well it finds traction on any hard surface both up and down even with fine sand, course kitty litter, or random rubble littered on top. At least until the center sips wear out which is pretty fast. They drift well but differently than the DHF. They are buttoned down in comparison but will still happily kick out then catch with confidence. I find I brake later coming in hot and stay hooked up when leaned longer compared to the DHF, but in spite of that I still rail better on the DHF. The DHF is the cornering king, drift master all bow to, but when you want all around traction, the rock'r is the better dry conditions tire. The rock'r hates sticky soil and even good soil you can dig into without clogging lugs. It wants it dry, real dry. It wants moon dust, silt, rocks, and wild fires.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Wait, so you ride 2.6" tires and .2" larger tires are uncontrollably laughable? Is this some kind of sawtooth function?

I need to refine my Kidwoo A.I. algorithm.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My buddy got himself some fancy wide carbon rims. They seem to like to slice up EXO casing tires.

He never had these issues when running 2mm aluminum rims.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I just replaced a non-tubeless 27.5 Maxxis HR2 EXO 2.4 with a tubeless HR2 EXO 2.3. Measured both mounted, side by side. They were exactly the same width (within the measuring error, I didn't use calipers). Aired the 2.3 up to 40 PSI to seat it, then aired 2.4 to the same pressure, on 30mm ID rims, because I couldn't believe my eyes. WTF?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I went with Butcher Grids a long time ago and stopped having the problems that started this thread in the first place. Running the newer version of them now on 29" wheels on my Sentinel and they're pretty badass. If that new casing they're advertising prevents occasional rim strikes with no weight penalty at mid-20's pressures that'd be even better, but don't see a reason to take on the extra weight just yet.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm telling you that you need to see them in person because I want to make you happy. Straight up clown tires. You will smile. Help me to help you westy. Let's do this together.

I see people on folding e-fat bikes everyday.

I am pretty much dead inside.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Correct. With a 2.6 butcher (old tread, not the stupid sawtooth stuff) on the front.

hella bitchin
Have you tried the new design? Cause it looks dumb but I have always wanted to try the butchers.

Also, anyone have experience with the current WTB lineup? I know a lot of people who really like the Convict (DHR?), Vigilante (MM?), and Trail Boss (for something fast rolling in the rear) with the "Tough" casing. I saw a little discussion regarding these tires on the DH tire thread a while back.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Correct. With a 2.6 butcher (old tread, not the stupid sawtooth stuff) on the front.

hella bitchin
How's the volume on the Spesh 2.6s compared to Maxxis 2.6s? I found the Maxxis' ride characteristics to be sub-optimal for my terrain, but the 2.3 Butchers are pretty low volume compared to Maxxis/Schwalbe 2.3s, does that carry over to the 2.6s?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Have you tried the new design? Cause it looks dumb but I have always wanted to try the butchers.
I haven't. I guess the old design wasn't holding enough mud. :rolleyes:

I think all the tires being made now are that sawtooth stuff.The big weakness of the butchers for me has been the kind of narrow sideknobs. Once they start going from wear, you have about one turn before they're just flat out dangerous. That maybe possibly could be better with the new ones. They do seem to wear really even. Kind of like a wildrokkkkkkkkR 2

How's the volume on the Spesh 2.6s compared to Maxxis 2.6s?
Pretty similar. If I had to pick one, I'd say the maxxis dhfs I've seen are slightly bigger. They both look about like 2.6s

The maxxis 2.8s look like 4.0s.

I'm running a 2.3 slaughter on the back of my main trail bike again fwiw. I don't really think they're that much smaller than a 2.3 maxxis.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I haven't. I guess the old design wasn't holding enough mud. :rolleyes:

I think all the tires being made now are that sawtooth stuff.The big weakness of the butchers for me has been the kind of narrow sideknobs. Once they start going from wear, you have about one turn before they're just flat out dangerous. That maybe possibly could be better with the new ones. They do seem to wear really even. Kind of like a wildrokkkkkkkkR 2

Pretty similar. If I had to pick one, I'd say the maxxis dhfs I've seen are slightly bigger. They both look about like 2.6s

The maxxis 2.8s look like 4.0s.

I'm running a 2.3 slaughter on the back of my main trail bike again fwiw. I don't really think they're that much smaller than a 2.3 maxxis.
Not sure about the Slaughters, but I just checked with the calipers - 2.3 Butcher has 52mm casing, 2.3 Aggressor has 58mm casing. Both on 25mm internal rims. If that holds on the 2.6s I might like them compared to the Maxxis'.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not sure about the Slaughters, but I just checked with the calipers - 2.3 Butcher has 52mm casing, 2.3 Aggressor has 58mm casing. Both on 25mm internal rims. If that holds on the 2.6s I might like them compared to the Maxxis'.
They're still a pretty big tire for a trail bike, although not by current dentist standards.

Give'em a go. I really liked them.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
So I'm looking for a good East Coast tire. The Minions are great. But sometimes you cant get a good lean angle because we dont cut all our trees down or move big rocks out of the way. So what's a good tire for the front that has some transition traction if you cant lean it over?
Edit I should say Mid Atlantic South PA to WNC
So there's something wet most the time.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So I'm looking for a good East Coast tire. The Minions are great. But sometimes you cant get a good lean angle because we dont cut all our trees down or move big rocks out of the way. So what's a good tire for the front that has some transition traction if you cant lean it over?
e13 trs+

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Also, anyone have experience with the current WTB lineup? I know a lot of people who really like the Convict (DHR?), Vigilante (MM?), and Trail Boss (for something fast rolling in the rear) with the "Tough" casing. I saw a little discussion regarding these tires on the DH tire thread a while back.
I've been running the Riddler 2.4 tough casing as a rear tire. Laced to dt471's. Running it on both bikes. I see no reason to change at this point. I have two sitting on the shelf for when I wear out the current crop.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
You don't move big rocks or cut all your trees? I guess you didn't ride WNC back in the day.