Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
You don't move big rocks or cut all your trees? I guess you didn't ride WNC back in the day.
Unfortunately no, my finances didn't allow for as much travel. My home trails are pretty narrow. One area were are trying to keep IMBA out of since they have messed up other trails close by.

WNC is great but yeah you can ride side by side on a lot of it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
What's everyone's take on WTB tires?
They're great. They're not as great as Maxxis (anything), Schwalbe (anything), Specialized (anything), Bontrager (anything), Conti (anything), Michi, Kenda (are they still even a brand? either way, better than WTB), and probably some other brands that I'm forgetting.

They're about on par with those old intense marzocchi tires that weighed 8000g each and had the marzocchi M for a tread pattern. You can put them on your bicycle and ride off road with them, but that's about all you can do.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
They're great. They're not as great as Maxxis (anything), Schwalbe (anything), Specialized (anything), Bontrager (anything), Conti (anything), Michi, Kenda (are they still even a brand? either way, better than WTB), and probably some other brands that I'm forgetting.

They're about on par with those old intense marzocchi tires that weighed 8000g each and had the marzocchi M for a tread pattern. You can put them on your bicycle and ride off road with them, but that's about all you can do.
So you're saying there's a chance? :D

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

So great, like America Great again lol.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I've been running the Riddler 2.4 tough casing as a rear tire. Laced to dt471's. Running it on both bikes. I see no reason to change at this point. I have two sitting on the shelf for when I wear out the current crop.
Had to look these up cause I've never seen them in person.

What happened to all the knobs?? In all seriousness though. What bikes are you running them on? I'm on an eternal quest to find a good front tire for DS and 4X and these look interesting. Like a semi slick but without tall side nobs.

Current favorite DS front tire, a super old folding Larsen TT with that red MAXXIS stripe :happydance: but things get scary on that tire whenever there's dust in the berms.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

Just curious. When was the last time you rode a WTB tire? Cause 10 years ago they were garbage but I feel like they are coming up, they've at least passed Kenda for trail tires (still have love for my Small Block 8s though) :bonk:

It may just be a NorCal thing (since they are based out here) but I've been seeing a lot of fast dudes on WTB rubber lately.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I am running it on a steel SS and an 18' Scout. Dt471 on both. I run 28-32 psi. So far, this tire has been predictable and durable. The light casing not so much durable. Maybe if I weighed 140 pounds that could be an option. We get 9" of rain a year here.
20180621_182740.jpg

*sorry for the shit pic

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
New front tire installed today, I like'em knobbies. I've only done a quick shake down ride of no more than 3 miles on it so far but it felt pretty good on off camber rocks and in dusty corners. It feels like a slightly wider, more trustable Butcher GRID of the same size.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
New front tire installed today, I like'em knobbies. I've only done a quick shake down ride of no more than 3 miles on it so far but it felt pretty good on off camber rocks and in dusty corners. It feels like a slightly wider, more trustable Butcher GRID of the same size.

Are those supposed to be claws or something? I can't trust a tire design in which the knobs are designed to look like anything other than knobs.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
They're on the list. Just gotta ride moar so I can wear out the rubber I have :bonk:

Looks kinda like a DHF that might actually work when I pull the sissy levers instead of just doing a crazy skid dance.
I like it so far. It is def a slow roller, even in the front, but grips quite well. I think I like the TRS+ better still.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Just did my first humid/greasy ride on the HR2 double downs and I take back my previous statement of keeping them till they are worn out.... It was like riding on frickin ice. Center tread would spin out under any power and the side knobs couldn't hold any hard wet surface either up or down....

So what's everyone's take on tough 29er tires that are excellent for climbing up wet rocks and roots and also good on the downs?

The 29er WildRock'r is an option, but was wondering what may be out there that is a little higher volume and maybe 2.4-2.5 width?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Just did my first humid/greasy ride on the HR2 double downs and I take back my previous statement of keeping them till they are worn out.... It was like riding on frickin ice. Center tread would spin out under any power and the side knobs couldn't hold any hard wet surface either up or down....

So what's everyone's take on tough 29er tires that are excellent for climbing up wet rocks and roots and also good on the downs?

The 29er WildRock'r is an option, but was wondering what may be out there that is a little higher volume and maybe 2.4-2.5 width?
DHR2, 3c if you dont care about rolling resistance. 2c if you do. Good for wet but still hard. Packs up with mud easy though.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
DHR2, 3c if you dont care about rolling resistance. 2c if you do. Good for wet but still hard. Packs up with mud easy though.
So is something different about the Maxterra compound between Maxxis tires or OEM/Aftermarket spec?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
So is something different about the Maxterra compound between Maxxis tires or OEM/Aftermarket spec?
Maxterra is the fastest but less gripping of the 3c, the center tread are harder. Unless stated or things changed a lot of OEM tires are DC.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I am running it on a steel SS and an 18' Scout. Dt471 on both. I run 28-32 psi. So far, this tire has been predictable and durable. The light casing not so much durable. Maybe if I weighed 140 pounds that could be an option. We get 9" of rain a year here.
View attachment 129432

*sorry for the shit pic

Where is that? I would like to ride a bicycle on it.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Just did my first humid/greasy ride on the HR2 double downs and I take back my previous statement of keeping them till they are worn out
Just run them in the rear for dry stuff. They roll fast on hard pack and drift reliably in dust. Plus you won't feel bad doing sweet skids on tires you're trying to kill any way.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Where is that? I would like to ride a bicycle on it.
I'm glad you asked, as its a little known gem called Glendo State Park. 75 miles east of Casper Wyoming. There is camping and 75 miles of rocky as fuck terrain. Its been built by/for the MTB. That was on the climb up to the Feather Rim trail.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm glad you asked, as its a little known gem called Glendo State Park. 75 miles east of Casper Wyoming. There is camping and 75 miles of rocky as fuck terrain. Its been built by/for the MTB. That was on the climb up to the Feather Rim trail.
Nice. I was just looking at a job in Lander/Riverton area and was trying to figure out if mountainbiking occurred around there or just rock climbing and further wilderness designations. Looks good and rowdy.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Nice. I was just looking at a job in Lander/Riverton area and was trying to figure out if mountainbiking occurred around there or just rock climbing and further wilderness designations. Looks good and rowdy.
Glendo is a lot like Phils in Cortez, no sustained climbs/descents. Lots of 2-300 ft rock garden smorgasbords. And some buffed out pedally stuff along the lake shore. I need to get back and explore more of it. Jackson area isn't a far drive from Lander either.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Has anyone used a Hillbilly GRID for dry, loose, rocky?.

It doesn’t look like a pure mud/wet condition tire, to me.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Am I the only one using an Aggressor as a front tire? 29×2.5 Double Downs on both ends and love'em. They're like the WTB Breakout Tough Casings but with better side knobs. I've got the TRS+ and TRSrace tires that came with my bike and figured I'll put one of those on the front if the Aspen BME is too loose for the front Aggressor. However, I'm worried that their casings don't seem as tough.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Am I the only one using an Aggressor as a front tire? 29×2.5 Double Downs on both ends and love'em. They're like the WTB Breakout Tough Casings but with better side knobs. I've got the TRS+ and TRSrace tires that came with my bike and figured I'll put one of those on the front if the Aspen BME is too loose for the front Aggressor. However, I'm worried that their casings don't seem as tough.
When Aggressors first came out I ran them front and back. It was good, real good. They were the 29x2.3 DD's, so a little skinny. And did manage to flat the rear a couple times. I think because of too low psi. This was before CushCore and before they came out with the wider size.

I just really like minions up front, they just do everything well. But aggressor is a great tire too, front or back. IMO.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
That's GLENDO?!? What the fuck? Just drove by Glendo TWICE in the last 2 weeks, and I had always heard that it was buff XC stuff around the lake.

Fuckers must have been lying to me... :think:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
That's GLENDO?!? What the fuck? Just drove by Glendo TWICE in the last 2 weeks, and I had always heard that it was buff XC stuff around the lake.

Fuckers must have been lying to me... :think:
Well, it is buff xc around the lake. But then head down by the power plant and go ride feather rim plus the other dh oriented trails around it. Rugged as fuck!