Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Put MOAR fucken air in FFS!
I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Increasing pressure didn't seem to save them much. I'm beginning to suspect my rim sidewall profile is razor sharp or something.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I've had good luck (here in the loamy smoothness that is Golden) with WTB Vigilantes. But everyone knows that 26" wheels isn't even really mountainbiking, because that sh!t was around before enduro. Or even "black diamond" trails.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Hope Tech Enduro wheelset.

I also suspect I'm having a little trouble mentally adapting my lines and technique from so many years of DH tyres\tubes and suspension now I'm riding skinnier tyres and half the suspension....

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
No need for dh tires...

2.4 Hr2 in exo up front and a grid slaughter in the rear....riding the same trails he does and I rarely flat...

Some of the newer exo tires seem lighter than the old ones...stick with the 2.4 Hr2's or dhf 2.3's..work great...if you want to ride the good trails around here you're in for 3000+ feet of climbing...not really fun with 1200g tires..
That's what I'm running in the front. Same HRII front and rear. Well, 3C front, 60whatever rear.

The 1200g tires are gonna be really demotivating to climb with, I agree. I'm trying to avoid going to that extreme since I may as well just run a fucking DH tire at that point and really let it rip on the descents.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
2.35 minion dhf with full on dh casings aren't that heavy. They're just kinda small. But I ran those for years on the back of my trail bike. Mostly because my mavic tubeless rims despise tire sidewalls.

toods: I know that some rims do eat tires. I haven't gotten a flat in two years since riding different rims. (enves unfortunately)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Tomahawk 3C EXO 2.3. Tire is rather skinny, no big knobs yet weights almost 900g for 27.5". I think it's casing will be just fine.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Okay apparently the pisgah national forest located in beautiful (well, the west part at least) north carolina just eats tires.

Anyone tear one on big soft pillowy, non-threatening, coddling, poofter west coast rocks?
Mine's been fine so far. I have no idea if it does anything useful or not but for whatever it's worth, I got one of the silk worm ones.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I didn't think it felt thinner than a normal Exo, but I didn't really pay that much attention either. I was too busy looking at how much better the side knob spacing is on the 26" than the 650b ones.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
According to Maxxis, the SS is about 100g lighter than the equivalent DHF. That sounds... about right?

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
After shredding several EXO tires last season I've had much better luck with the full DH casings. Heavy as fuck...but 0 flats. And great insulation against rim strikes from rocks as well...

Intruiged by double down as I would love to shed some weight, but not at expense of durability

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Butcher Grids set up tubeless with 24/27 psi seem to hold up well enough. Much sturdier feel to the casing on flat corners too. They survived 1 ride, so that's more than the EXOs have been able to claim so far...

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Just an update on the Michelin reinforced casing. I hit a rock so hard that my 36 bottomed out and the rim made a sound like a gunshot, I fully expected my lb 35mm rims to explode into dust. Nothing happened, no flat, no exploded rim nothing.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just an update on the Michelin reinforced casing. I hit a rock so hard that my 36 bottomed out and the rim made a sound like a gunshot, I fully expected my lb 35mm rims to explode into dust. Nothing happened, no flat, no exploded rim nothing.
Those tires are the fucking best. I really want them to make a slightly smaller, faster rolling version with the same construction to use as a rear.

I know they have their new rear "enduro" tire, but the tread pattern is fucking stupid. They knocked it out of the park with the Wild Rock'r 2, they can do better

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I just can't help but think I may as well run a full dual ply at the weight of those things though. Probably be cheaper too. Still look interesting nonetheless.

I wonder if the coil shock I just put on the back of this thing will reduce some of the flatting. What a great reminder of how much air springs suck ass all around.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They're still a couple hundred grams lighter than a full on DH tire. Definitely heavier than an Exo, but definitely correspondingly tougher. Plus I really can't emphasize enough how well they corner.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Damn straight.

Still on a quest to find a coil 160mm fork in one of these goofy sixfiftybeeeeeee sizes. I also like how no two manufacturers seem to have the same offset for sixfiftybeeeeeee.