Quantcast

what was your first DH bike?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I would have to scan some photos to post my old bikes.

GT LTS with a Judy DH and a Rock Shox disc brake then Yeti DH6 with a 151 Boxxer. I had so many problems with the bushing pivots on those bikes.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Will have to scan a pic of it, but my 1st weapon was back in 93-94.
GT RTS2 with 80mm Judy DHs, RaceFace Turbine LP cranks,Magura HS22 brakes,AC hubs,Mavic 121 ceramic rims an other bits and bobs
A whole 2.5" of "plush" rocker tuned suspension:D

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
gt lts-semi DH Bike
norco vps, marzocchi red-black triple monster, hope, mavic/picture not mine but similar
and gt dhi.

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
My first real DH bike was a Giant ATX 990 with Judy DH and Magura rims brakes. And yes, in those days this was a real DH bike...

That was followed by a GT STSDH.

Those were the days. 3-4 inches of pure DH travel!

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden

My first real DH bike. Cyclepro Octagon DH.

- 151 Boxxer up front, RS Super D Pro on the back (it kept blowing up).
- Magura Gustav hubs and brakes.
- 46 tooth ring on Roox cranks.
- Gazza tyres, etc.

What a brick that thing was. :)

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Haha. Not really. I remember Mountain Biker mag rating the GT as one of the top 4 DH bikes at the time. Brian Lopes rode them and he also had 2 sets of Boxxers on them when apparently there were only 4 sets in existence (Stick will be able to correct me if I'm wrong). I got it when a GT-sponsored rider came across the line at a race swearing and throwing the bike around. The GT rep promptly went up to him and took it off him. I bought it for a pittance off him then and there. I had one of the nicest/flashest bike around at the time! It had the Rockshox DHO forks, not the Boxxers. Pretty much exactly the same as in the pic above, but with an AC chainguide and Formula disc brakes.

The Giant 990 was sweet! Loved that bike. The GT not so much.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
My first real dh bike (I tried to trash my ellsworth joker Xc but that wasn't really a dh bike) was Rock Machine Adrenaline 7000 (yes, I know ;) ). It looked cool and I still wish I kept it.

Here is some oldschool no visor style (crashed and smashed, not on purpose ). I know it doesn't really show the bike but that were analog times ;)

This is the stock look but i didn't have the cash for the fancy shiver and I hated the seat.

big dan

Chimp
Oct 12, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
jeez damo, some memories there.

My first proper DH rig (as opposed to an xc bike with club roost riser bars which was the standard in 1995) was a 1996 Turner afterburner DH......so hot! 4 inches of travel!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think there are some older similar tread like this but I will play along.

2001 Kona Stab primo

Stupid seat and crappy tires but the rest of the package was solid and it was a real DH bike.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
1995 Marin Indian Fire Trail

A few years prior I almost bought a POS first generation full suspension bike - was considering the GT RTS (mentioned above) or Sworks FSR but luckily I bought a Specialized Sworks M2 hardtail instead. Sold it off for money and eventually bought the cheaper Marin linked.

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Cully's 92' IronHorse Verlicchi DH bike (if 3" travel works for ya) was my first legit DH bike. It was his backup of his backup, tioga psycho tires, marz fork and air shock. Sick

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Man, those were the days. I remember it as if it were yesterday. I met a guy who raced on Trek bikes and he hooked me up with a good deal on my first dh bike, an '09 Session 88 I picked up in October 2009. And to think, it's almost 2010 already....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
1998 Yeti DH-8 with a ZZYZX fork. Replaced the fork with a Boxxer within weeks.

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
2003 iron horse sgs sport bought online. Frame should not have been released to the public and the fork was a rock shox phylo sl. But it was a "dh" bike and I had fun with it.

dest

Monkey
Aug 1, 2006
NYCity
2005 iron horse sunday world cup my first dh sled when i first discovered DH....i wish i would have started in the late 90's but wouldnt have been able to afford it anyway...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
2000 Kona Stab Primo. This wasn't actually mine - it was the shop DH bike. It spent so much time in my garage that I may as well have bought it though.

2003 Marin Team DH. Once again, didn't buy it - it lived in my garage when I was working for Marin Bikes.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
cant find pics of my first DH bike with its initial spec :mad:

it was a 1998 Nicolai Virus (100mm travel) with Magura HS22 rim brakes, on some Mavic Ceramic XC rims on Shimano XT Hubs with a White Brothers XC90 Fork.

the pics show off it's second life as a DH bike in 2001.
Rock Shox Judy 100, Magura Louise brakes and Mavic 321 (now 729) rims :D

Attachments

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
My first REAL dh bike......it was on sale at Supergo.com

Loved it. This pic isnt my bike, but the one I had looked just like this.....only with a Mr.Dirt Chainguide.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Started on a Cannodale ridig bike, first real bike that was actually made for abuse was a KHS fr1500 frame with a, upgraded rear shock<Van rc> and a z150fr fork.

Here is a shot of teh khs, it has the 66 on in this shot

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I see that a lot of us started DHing in 2001. Mine was a Santacruz Super 8 (still have the frame) with that candy red Boxxer seen above. The rear shock bolt was a loose fit in the bushing. With nearly a 4:1 ratio there was like a half inch of movement at the axle:(

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
first "dh bike" was a raleigh canada smokin dh from 2001, the black and red single pivot. I was told it had about 6" of travel but never really found out. by the end of its 2nd season the swingarm had so much flex it helped it around corners, it also was 14 1/2" to the bottom of the bash gaurd and had a 2002 jrt, the 7" 30mm stantion regular dropout super flex forks

first real dh bike, bighit: the carbons in the corner were a grand find