Quantcast

What we're tired of seeing in bike videos.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
As per jonKranked

The start of the video being the rider pushing their bike uphill.

Continue...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
-pushing uphill
-slow motion panoramas of scenery
-time lapse shots of clouds, rivers, etc
-working on bikes
-drivetrain closeups waiting for someone to "drop in"
-driving places to ride
-taking a ferry someplace to ride
-complaining about soundtracks instead of just pressing "mute"

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
un-necessary drifting around 1 mph tight corners
whips over 1 ft root gaps
jumping over shit and hopping around just to do so
goggles being put on
pumping nothing
rain drops in puddles
derailuers that wont shift right
drones over top of trees showing forest
POV cameras
bikes in videos
videos in videos
videos
people bitching about videos
people not bitching about videos
tires that wont mount on rims
26" wheels
manuals
wheelies
stoppies
no footed can can
superman seat grab
high fives

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Shitty turns for maximum roost.
Dramatizing the mundane (goggles, wrapping hands on grips, dragging your ass out of bed at first light).
Whistler.
Infomercials.

Basically anything but vital RAW.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
- Rider waking up and cooking breakfast
- Slomo on the rider putting his goggles on
- Rider on the computer/phone keeping in touch with the fans via Instabook
- Too much slomo
- No audible bike noise
- Forced product placement (e.g.: rider casually holding an energy drink can while concentrating on his upcoming race run)
- "Profound" and philosophical thoughts from rider on how the real meaning of life is just "being out there riding your bike with your mates"

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Shitty turns for maximum roost.
Dramatizing the mundane (goggles, wrapping hands on grips, dragging your ass out of bed at first light).
Whistler.
Infomercials.

Basically anything but vital RAW.
I've watched that last 12 minute Vital RAW vid a few times now. I'd be perfectly okay if it was twice as long.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
bro its just all about this bro, riding bikes with my bros, wait, hold on i have to update my instagram to get my sponsors some exposure, but bro it's totally all about just hangi....wait, I got a few likes and comments I must respond to, where was I? oh yea, bro I mean it;s just to real to be real and ride bikes for the pure love of *ring ring* yeah? Oh, cool, they have the production crew signed? Ok great, and how much will i get for my next rad vid? Ok, I thought we talked about more than that? ok, thanks manager guy.

Anyway bro, it's like so rad to just stoke the smile on the faces of my homies while we all shred the gnar and get rad for the love

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
probably a sign of crotchety & jaded old age, but i've got no tolerance for anything but the short raw edits these days. no interest in tedious & pretentious big budget flicks like unreal & their ilk. the brannigan / masters-potter / brayton ripper segments work for me, however. and the vital raw dh bits, or course.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
- "Profound" and philosophical thoughts from rider on how the real meaning of life is just "being out there riding your bike with your mates"
Reminds me of the Claw on WTTE. His insightful, profound voice over lines have so less in common with his 19yo speech when he's riding it's hilarious.

One minute he's like "... And we knew this was just the beginning of our journey yaddayaddayadda" and the next one he goes "yeah dude that was like totally sick Bro!"

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
My big complaint is when the chick looks at the camera...just totally screws up the vibe for me.

Oh...wait...bike videos. Umm, I don't like when they don't care about what I like in bike videos. I will probably watch most of them anyway (albeit, with the mute on in most cases).

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I hate when riders spend half the video picking out their bikes from their ridiculously dialled garages full of cool stuff, that's because I'm prone to jealousy though.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Slow-motion.. Stop with the fvcking slow motion.
Completely matched kits (clothes, bikes, goggles, helmet, sox) you are not always that fresh GIVE ME SOME MISMATCHED COLORS
Not steep stuff

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Good riders in terrible enduro videos.

Twice I've fallen for this rubbish, last time was one of Hill and Barel, and one recently of Vouilloz. These are multiple DH world championship winning riders!
What a waste of talent.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Hah! I totally nailed that Vouilloz video. Was about to click on it and realized it might be a trap to make me pissed about how shitty enduro is to watch.

I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Anyway, aside from the obvious "slomo sucks" I'll point out that there are a few videos that aren't vital raw that are pretty good.

Eddie Masters has produced some good ones, there was that one of Brannigan in New Zealand, and pretty much everything Kovarik touches turns to pure gold.

Anything that shows how balls out fast somebody is going is awesome. Anything that is not that, is also not awesome. Thus, things like putting on goggles, slowmo, talking about how you were feeding off the boys, is not boring, and something I don't want to watch.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
The relatively new prevalence of video equipment and "ability" has kinda ruined action sports videos for me. Every videographer and rider is constantly spewing out some kind of shit resulting in too fucking many videos to sift through for gems.

At least Vital RAW is the shit

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Spastic zooming/panning to try to make the rider look fast as they stupidly pump over small features in the terrain. Fast riders will look fast even if the camera is holding steady zoom/pan. Makes it look like a tweaker got a hold of the camera otherwise.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
helmet cam
donkey shuttles
making tea
sleeping bags
holding bike over head
high fives
puddle splashes
frame cam mount angles (of pedaling, cassette rotating, erratic steering/fork compression)
floppy chain slo-mo

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Drones will get old fast too. Just saying...

Thanks to those who want to have some fun. Others just take shit too seriously!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
-Showing the same jump from 15 different angles just to get the desired 3 minute video.
-Mediocre music. I get along with rock, metal, hiphop, hell, even electronica. But it has to be a good tune.
-Most DH riding of non-WC pros.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
donkey shuttles

Pssshhhh

You started it.

The earth based kickout still cracks me up. Because no one does it if they don't think they're being watched. There's a kurt sorge video around with long stretches of helmet cam on him........not once. The fool does it like 3 times in every shot when he knows the camera is pointed AT him though. It's like the mountain bike version of truck nuts. When you see it........you just know they're out to impress :rofl:

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Helicopters filming helicopters that film drones while filming riders.
(Isn't there a Xzibit meme around for that :D)

DH-riding of WC pros on japanese vulcanos.