Quantcast

what/who got you in to riding.

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
I'll start i use to Bmx(RIP Tom) and i was going to the skateparks everyday with my mates and one day i picked up a mtb magazine and then decided to get my self a XC bike and the rest is history.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
ukjason said:
i see i hope you reach your target
thanks.........its been a bitch trying to get past the 280 mark ive been here for a month with no lose of weight........but i feel healthier and can bike now for hours instead of 30 mins. like when i started so if i dont drop the weight but stay healthy that will be good enuff for me

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
you have to remember that muscule weighs more than fat so if it seems that the scales arn't going down it's because your are putting muscule on and in which case you may have lost more 20 ponunds in fat

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
i walk my dog about 3-4 miles a day (she has lost 10#) and then more on the days i skip riding......im trying to stay away from weight training, cause ill get back into heavy weight lifting and not burn cals like i should........so once i get to under 240 ill strat back weight lifting

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
totaly you want to keep to cardio workouts biking, running, walking,

I take it your on a healthy diet? sorry to keep asking

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
My uncle owned a bike shop and I went to a BMX race to watch my cousin race. It looked like fun so I entered the next race (at the age of 5 or 6) - and won my class. I ended up racing for about the next 7 or so years. The sport pretty much died off and I was burnt out so I quit racing.

Didn't really do much with bikes again until I was about 30 when I bought a road bike (there were no mountains in the area). When we moved to Southern Ca. the wife and I sold our road bikes after a short time and bought mountain bikes. I've been mountain biking for a little over 3 years....there is no turning back:thumb:

SCTreeHugger

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
I was the first kid in my neighborhood to get a mountain bike. That was back in 1991, 4th grade. I didn't get into serious riding until I went to UC Santa Cruz for school. This guy from my dorm introduced me to the upper campus trails and wilder ranch. I rocked a fully rigid rockhopper with bad canteliver brakes and pedal cages. I've been hooked ever since.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My "best friend" in high school sold me a bike. My "best friend" failed to tell me it was stolen though...

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
when i was 12 my parents got divorced and my dad bought me a cannondale delta v 500 as a bribe to come visit him on the weekends, the only condition was the bike stay with him. so naturally i wanted to go see him all the time, a$$ whole move on his behalf. we lived in pennsylvannia at the time and would go ride the kennerdal trails (i think thats the name) so after a couple years my mom remarried and moved to raleigh NC and i followed suit and moved, i talked my dad out of the bike and it came with me. not knowing anyone, i would just started riding my bike everywhere, i would have my mom drop me off at the local trail dunn road(RIP dunn trails any one who knows them)and it was my escape from everything and it slowly became my passion. i would go out everyday after school and wake up early and ride all weekend, this is before i knew people even raced mountain bikes. so i was practically training and dident even know it. i joined a local MTB club called carolina fats and discoverd racing. my first race was the Ace track in Ronoke rapids VA and i raced begginner men, and won by like 15 mins or somthing stupid, upgraded to junior expert and i was hooked. now about 6 years later im burned out of xc racing and moved into the freeride/street market to get away from racing and couldent be much happier.

splat

Nam I am
Well , I really got into in 83 when I went of to college. I was always Using my Roommates bikes to get around the city. The next summer I bought my Own "Real" Bike a Low end Schwinn Touring bike ( the frame is now my Fixed Gear ) , and I started riding farther and farther to Visit Family Friends , a couple of "nookie" Centuries. when I graduated College and Got a real Job , I bought a Road Racing Bike ( Trek 1500, full Ultegra , it is now my Time trial Bike ) I also Bought a used Original Stumpjumper frame and Built up a Mt bike for winter training . Met my Wife on a Road ride , and just contiuned riding all the time , and still do. Road , Mt , whatever.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Started in a local riding club/camp thing back before middle school and the rest is pretty much history -- I tended towards downhilling for whatever reason and stuck with it. I've been riding ever since. I went through a "No XC/Spandex" phase naturally, being 13-14... still against the spandex, but I'll ride pretty much anything these days, though I lack any *true* trail riding equipment. I just have to suck it up and ride my big bike or my single-speed-ed hardtail uphill all beast-like.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I started roadie-ing to stay in shape for hockey, it morphed into a little bit of racing, alot of centuries and ended up a way to meet women. Certainly the greatest reason to do anything...
Started MTB-ing because it was more fun and didnt have to be as careful with the bike!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My probation officer used to make me go to the Boys Club and coach/referee the street hockey league. One of the priest's that worked at the Boys Club was from Ireland and raced road bikes. He had a Raleigh Super Course. I saw it leaning on milk crate in the shower and just couldn't stop staring at it. I pestered him until he let me ride it. The second my feet entered the clips I was in love. The next year when he got a new bike (A smokin' Paramount) I got the Raleigh for painting a fence. I rode that bike for 10 years. I ovalised the steerer tube because I was fat.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
My dad bought me a bike when I was a kid, the rest is history!

I have been riding XC and trails since I was a kid, as for DH/FR, I met a guy at my LBS, he took me out to some trails they had built, I cracked the swingarm on my XC bike in 4 places and bought a big bike :D

ChuMaiWang

Chimp
Jun 30, 2006
I started racing BMX when I was a kid. I stopped and got older. I then wanted to add some kind of exercise to my life (never really had a weight problem, other than not enough) and remembered how much fun I had on the bike. It is hard for me to fit on a BMX now so the mountain bike is what I got. The fact that I like being out in nature helped with the decision. It is quite the stress relief.
Now...
If I could just find some actual mountains around here...

:rolleyes:

Edit: It also helped me quit smoking tobacco

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Started riding 'off-road' on a 15 speed bike back when I was about 10 I think, then I got into BMX, then I got a Marin Bear Valley SE when I was about 13, used to ride with a local MTB club on weekends, also went through about 6 BMXs component by component (droputs, hubs and pedals didn't last long back then) then my Bear Valley got stolen (I was gutted) so I rode BMX a lot more for the MONTHS (seemed like forever) until the insurance coughed up a Orange Clockwork. Then I got into MTB quite a bit for a while till my friend built a miniramp and dirt jump in his backyard. Eventually I went off to University and built/bought my first ever totally brand new BMX (S+M Next Gen Dirt Bike) and eventually a Kona Pahoehoe and then a Giant AC. Moved to the US and got my Revell, then got to NZ and bought some more BMXs. Now 18 years later I ride street and BMX mostly.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
As far as mtn bikes, my uncle Fran's old Raleigh or Bridgestone sitting in his beer keg shed in PA.

I've never not had a bike of some sort.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i got into it a few years ago beacuse of robbie bourdon and Xtreme freeride :devil:

seriously, in about 1989 or so it after losing my license for 3 months and about 400 dollars in fines... lost it for 'leaving the scene of an accident', 'dangerous driving'... long story... basically, i hit a car in a carpark and left... it was a small knock about the size of a quarter... low on the door of a toyota celica... we were leaving the indoor vert skatepark and my vehicle was parked next door in a KFC carpark... drive thru' clown sees accident, tells manager... manager owns car, calls cops... cops eat KFC everyday and therefore i get reamed... thanks a$$holes..

anyway, the good thing that came out of it was that i needed to get to university and work so i picked up a new shogun trail breaker 3... it ruled and i ve been addicted ever since...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
My (then boyfried now) husband got me into riding. It wasn't easy...I hated it at first because a) the trails were quite technical b) bike was too big c) my husband is crazy fast on 2 wheels and who knows what other excuses I had at the time. Now, I love it, we bike together and apart and we're still happily married :love:

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
TreeSaw said:
My (then boyfried now) husband got me into riding. It wasn't easy...I hated it at first because a) the trails were quite technical b) bike was too big c) my husband is crazy fast on 2 wheels and who knows what other excuses I had at the time. Now, I love it, we bike together and apart and we're still happily married :love:
Good to know. We're past the "I hate it!" stage but now dealing with a) and c)....(yep, I've got her fooled that I'm fast.)
(She loves her new Turner Burner so b) isn't an issue)

Hard to say for myself. I've had a bike nearly as long as I can remember and it's been both a recreational toy and a major (or only) source of transportation over the years. So I guess you could say I got myself into it. As a kid, I never understood what was going on with football or baseball games on tv so I usually made my way out to the garage to teach myself how to pack bearings and what a Coaster brake looked like inside.
My first bike was of the bmx style that my parents' friends wanted $12 for. I talked them down to $9, and had to shovel horse sh|t for two weeks to earn the $9.
Funny to compare that to how much my current xc/trail rig ran me and how fast I came up with that cash....
I had a road bike all of my middle school years and just as mt. bikes were making it on the scene, I was destroying my Univega World Sport by doing too many bunny hops, jumps, and off road spins.
So, enter full rigid, yellow Specialized Rockhopper. Yep, it had Biopace.
$350 I think? Sold it for $300 my freshman year at university. Then bought a Miyata Elevation 450 for as many dollars. Galbraith mountain eats bikes and riders and that was the first and last bike I bent a set of forks on. When it was time to retire that steed, I figured I'd buy another full rigid but a Rocky Mountain this time.
I was surprised to find they didn't sell them that way any more. So that was my first foray into suspension bikes and I don't even own a hardtail anymore.
One of my next bikes will be a Rodriguez. (A bit of a legend here in the "Emerald City".) All steel hardtail, maybe full rigid, set up for being a single speed....
....wow that's a ramble...and I've only had half a pint....

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
well......lemme see..... I started racing when I was six, did that for a while, then mainly skated from 6th to 10th grade, Got an XC bike for my 15th birthday and rode the crap outta it (still have it too) Then I got into rode riding, logged a obscene amount of miles....and I quit that to become a Downhilling punk......Goodtimes

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My dad's car got totaled by a teenager in late 2001. He owned a business in the tech sector post-9/11, so moneys was tight. He bought a Trek 4500 to get to work and back. I rode it, and came to realize the glory that was riding a non Wal-Mart bicycle. It went seven million times faster than my 45 lb. cromo sporting goods monster that I neglected to ride for that very reason. I saved my money working lawnjobs, and bought a KHS Alite 1000 a German dude in AZ had cobbled together with spare parts for $400. Started racing XC, raced marathon/enduro, moved to an icy wonderland (Logan) and didn't ride much for almost a year, then I moved back to SLC for school and I ride like a fool again. DH, XC, DJ, whatev, it's all good...