Quantcast

What workouts should I do to prevent injury?

I just joined a health club today, and I was wondering what are some good excerises to do that would help prevent muscle rippage and all that stuff. If you dont no what excerise you to, could you tell me the muscle area and then I could find a machine to use. They also have some classes that look good to use, the have a spinning class and this overall work one. So hopefully in a couple of months Ill look like the Terminator.

Thanks

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
a big one for me is to ankle strech. If i land with my feet to far back on the pedals (aka when my ankles arent directaly above the spindle) my ankle with pull reall bad. So this i how i do it.

Put one foot back with the ankle not streched, then put ur heel down onto the floor, you will fell it strech well. I find this exersise very helpfull.

and strech your shoulders so they dont go pop. As for muscles, i dont really work out.:D i mountain bike for exersize

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Work your hamstrings and be sure to stretch them daily. After I tore my ACL jumping off the bike over the bars, I learned that tight/weak hamstrings and strong quads can tear your ACL without even touching the ground.

I'm not alone in this, I've talked to other guys that tore ACLs for the same reason, doing the same thing.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ok, here's what you should do...

Workout everything! The stronger you are overall, the better. Having a stronger upper body keeps your bike under control over serious terrain (if you're NOT like me and race and pick the perfect lines, well, don't worry about it then). Of course legs are key to get you pedalling faster and stronger.

For key muscles, shoulders for sure. If you do fall, most people stick their arms out to break their fall but can result in injuries in the shoulders. The stronger your shoulder muscles (back, sides and front), the more chance you have of your body staying in one piece when you do fall. For legs, keep your knees stabilized by making your leg muscles (quads, hamstrings) strong. Specific excersizes are easy to find for legs in your gym, if you need good ideas for shoulders, PM me.
:D