Quantcast

what would have prevented this, if anything?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
I was racing this passed sunday and i hit a rock w/ my eggbeater and i heard metal on metal (not the nice metal on rock sound, well i guess that was there too) i feel my foot getting more movement so i figure the cleat came loose/ broke, and i'll fix it on the top of the climb i was on. I got about halfway up and my foot slips out entirely, i look down, and the part of the pedal you clip into (cage i think) is totally gone, so i slip it back on the spindle and pedal like that for a while, foot slips again, this time the cage (?) is nowhere to be seen, so i finish the last 5 miles with just a spindle.

the pedal was starting to get a little sloppy, would overhauling it have prevented this?

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
So nothing but the spindle was left? Was the end of the spindle broken off or just the nut missing. If just the nut is missing then if you had serviced it, as you said it was loose, you might have prevented the failure.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The bolt on those pedals are quite small and can not be that strong. I found mine to be loose the first time I overhauled them. A loose bolt is prone to breaking or just falling out. It seems at some point all the bolts on my bike like to come loose. I have started using blue loctite on everything except my cranks.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by Westy
The bolt on those pedals are quite small and can not be that strong. I found mine to be loose the first time I overhauled them. A loose bolt is prone to breaking or just falling out. It seems at some point all the bolts on my bike like to come loose. I have started using blue loctite on everything except my cranks.
yeah i just started using loctite too. i figured it was the screw b/c nothing looked damaged.

hey westy, was that your GTi there, i looked for a silver superlight there and at walnut creek, found the bike at walnut creek but not you. are you goin to patapsco this weekend?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
yeah that bolt on those pedals is something to watch, this isn't the first time i've heard of this happening. were you able to go back and find the pedal?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by indieboy
yeah that bolt on those pedals is something to watch, this isn't the first time i've heard of this happening. were you able to go back and find the pedal?
i went back and looked, but couldn't find it. I/m back in my old SPDs for now.