Quantcast

What year bike?

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
I am thinking of purchasing this bike and am wondering if someone can help me with the year of it? It is a Specialized Allez Epic Carbon and the owner says its a mid to late 90s model. Any info and manufacture year is appreciated.

Thanks

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
My guess is that it's approximately a 95 or so. I seem to recall seeing Specialzed carbon in that color around then. My advice is to take it to a shop that knows carbon and have them inspect it very closely. The place all the early Epics broke was at the chainstays where they met the bottom bracket. How much is he asking?

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
bikeguy100k said:
My guess is that it's approximately a 95 or so. I seem to recall seeing Specialzed carbon in that color around then. My advice is to take it to a shop that knows carbon and have them inspect it very closely. The place all the early Epics broke was at the chainstays where they met the bottom bracket. How much is he asking?
The guy is asking 500 obo. He seemed unsure of components and year, so I am thinking it maybe stolen. He says it has campy compents, but doesnt know model name. I can take the serial # from the bike and go to a website to check if it is stolen right? If not I can ask my local police dept to check.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Langer said:
The guy is asking 500 obo. He seemed unsure of components and year, so I am thinking it maybe stolen. He says it has campy compents, but doesnt know model name. I can take the serial # from the bike and go to a website to check if it is stolen right? If not I can ask my local police dept to check.
There are a lot of people that have no clue what parts on their bikes. Probably bought it and never rode it.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Uh, if you're buying the bike sight unseen and that's the best picture you've got, maybe you should reconsider.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
There's pretty much nothing you can do with a bike serial number, maybe 5% at most are registered. I would be hesitant also, especially without better photos. Eventhough, you could find out what the warranty terms were back then and if it's cracked maybe get a new frame, or ride it until it breaks and then get a new frame. Perhaps this is not the most ethical course of action though.

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
Woops, I should have said it is a local bike and that I can look at it in person. Thanks for the all the helpful info about carbon cracks. I will defiantly look at all the connecting joints carefully. Anymore thoughts about this bike is encouraged.