Quantcast

What's a good, light "general purpose" tire for MTB?

merlynda

Chimp
May 22, 2004
Hi all,

I am looking for a kevlar tube tire (something light <500 grams) that is a cross between a "knobby" and a "slick"... you know, like the tires we had on our bikes as a kid.

The Vredenstein S-Licks are too slick as are the Ritchey Tom Slicks. I tried the Continental Town and Country ... they were the closest....but I felt like I could not turn very well with them... it was kinda hard for me to control the bike with them.

I am looking at the Panaracer TServ or Urban Max... the tread is the same on each of those tires... they are $36 a tire and I think the tread may not have enough "bite" for me...

Any ideas?? -Thanks!

P.S. What to the bike cops use on their bikes???

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Not Kevlar but $10 at GIJoes.com

Seems to me you are looking for a road bike that will work well on a DH course. Just two entirely different situations.

These tires are about trade offs. I picked up some Tioga MTB road slicks and use them for streat work. I have big knobbies WTB Motoraptor 2.4 kevlars for the dirt.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Crossroads Armidillo Tire from SPecialized. Looks like an aggressive cross tire. As agressive as they get I imagine. There is a reason slicks work on pavement and knobbies work well in dirt....and they don't cross over the best.

$29.99 810grams wire bead road/offroad tire.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The Ritchey Innovader looks to be a good hardpack/pavement tire. The side knobs may feel a bit squirrelly cornering on pavement though.

get some tioga factory dh 2.1 tires and gut off the center knobs. these are light weight, will be totally smooth in the middle, but will maintain the outer knobs for cornering. i have a 2.7 tire like this, and a 2.1. it's the best way to go for riding street, but still being able to corner

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd just get a fast rolling harder rubber XC tire like an IRC mythos, put a good amount of air (50psi) in and let them roll. I don't think you'll really sacrifice that much on pavement but you'll still have plenty of chunk for going off road.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
freeridebiker21 said:
look at the pannaracer fire XC
Yeah, the norrower and lighter version, the 1.8 Panaracer Fire XC. IRC Mythos semi-slicks, if they still make'em, Hutch Pythons, WTB Nanoraptors, and WTB makes an urban/dirt tire, don't remember the name off hand....wait a minute...WTB Allterainasaurus (sp.?). Some other options.