Quantcast

what's cooking for christmas dinner?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think we are gonna go w/ a bone-in rib roast. never done one of those, and it seems both very traditional, as well as damn tasty. gonna dig out a couple of nice bottles of cab to go along w/ it. probably some roasted carrots/parsnips, and some mashed taters. oh, and sauteed green beans w/ bacon and almond slivers.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Nothin' this year! The wife and I usually throw a huge Xmas Eve/Birthday bash (it's my wife and her twin bro's B-Day), but since we did Turkey Day at our place this year, we opted to do a later (6:30pm) get together and make it a dessert/cocktail party. Hopefully people will remember to eat dinner prior, and it will end up be lighter on the wallet as well! :)

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
I haven't checked with the Holiday Coordinator (stepmom) for my Christmas Dinner assignment, but she'll pick from one of my usual contributions (smoked meat, green bean casserole, or homemade bread).

I was at my sister's place last night and she's already working on the little sweets and snacky things to have out whenever we all get together.

Christmas Eve at my mother's house: I'll most likely smoke a brisket. Mom will be cooking up some shrimp too. I'm tempted to make a fudge-pecan pie, but we'll see what time allows.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Dang how could I forget Christmas morning? We all start out at our house w/breakfast, which usually includes:

Egg casserole
Grits
Bacon
Ham
Biscuits
Fried potatoes

After putting all that away, we're able to wait patiently for the mid-afternoon "dinner."

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Cooking a Ham to take to Christmas dinner at an Uncle's house. Friday night we will probably have Shrimp and Grits for dinner, Christmas morning it will be Bacon and Egg sandwiches on onion rolls.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
My parents are loving the fact I've been converted to the dark side and munch on red meat every now and then. So, for the first time in years and years, instead of the traditional fish for me and mom, and something related to ham for dad and the brother, we're making steak :D.

I'm also preparing a dairy free, gluten free, pumpkin pecan cheesecake. A dairy free, gluten free apple pie. Mom will make a big leafy green salad, and probably some taters.

:D

mmmhmmm. Oh ya, and can't forget the traditional waffles for christmas morning breakfast. Dad will eat something meaty I'm sure along with his gluten free waffles.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
hmmm...

nothing special planned. seeing as how friday is christmas eve AND friday, I'll probably get some tastey beer and drink it.
then wake up to early, hung over and eat something. probably eggs and cheese and toast.
then probably start drinking again, just because I can.

dec. 25 is just another day......

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
narlus said:
isn't dairy-free CHEESEcake an oxymoron?
It's all about the soy ;)

Besides - if it looks like cheese, smells like cheese, tastes like cheesecake, do you care that it contains no dairy? (especially when allergic to it..lol)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
We'll see how it turns out. My apple pie (no wheat no dairy) was a huge success (yayyy), but soy cheesecake could be challenging. :D At least I have the crust part down pat. ;)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
my mom is in charge of dinner this year. we are bringing cranberry upside-down cake. i will assist in cooking the rest of the meal but its all caseroles and things like that. my mom hates to cook.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I think it's Lasagne on Saturday and not sure about Christmas Eve. I bring the Cheesecakes and cranberry bread. Christmas Morning I will have homemade coffeecake to munch on while opening gifts and then probably eggs, toast, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns or something along those lines. :D

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
I don;t know what i will gonna get. :confused: My brothers gf is making our christmas dinner. And she is keeping it secret, what i will be. :( She had the help and recipes from a topchef. So it must be good i hope.

Special K

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
CT by way of Beantown
I am making Italian cream cake from a cooking light magazine my mom gave me, a filet mignon with potatoes, roasted veggies and soup -- it will be a small dinner, as their is only me, my mom and dad and brother

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Special K said:
I am making Italian cream cake from a cooking light magazine my mom gave me, a filet mignon with potatoes, roasted veggies and soup -- it will be a small dinner, as their is only me, my mom and dad and brother

mmmmmm, what kind of soup?

my cranberry upside down cake came from cooking light. i love that magazine.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Christmas in Japan is a bit of an exercise in making do as they don't have anything here that you usually associate with Christmas food wise. About the only thing that is easy to get is whole chickens and only at this time of the year. Luckily the internet has come to my rescue and I was able to order some good stuff from an American guy in Nagoya who runs a butcher shop. We got a nice turkey breast as well as a boneless leg of lamb. When it arrived today I had a good laugh when I discovered the lamb had been imported from Australia, actually from my own hometown (I even know the butcher- good friend of my dads works there). At least I know it'll be nice lamb, just coming off spring time in Australia. Beautiful. So lamb, turkey and chicken for Chrissy here. My sister is here too and she bought some mince pies and Christmas cake from England where she lives as well as a boneless Chrissy ham which I've been tucking into in the last few days. Unfortunately the ham won't make Christmas Day but be assured that that pig died for a good cause.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i got the 3 rib-in roast from the store today...it took me about 80 minutes to get out of my car and back into my car. the place was nuts. hopefully it will be worth it.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

We had raclette again this year - my absolute favorite way to eat!

A reasonale description of the experience can ba found here: http://www.jill.net/recipes/recipes/raclette.html

We tend to use whatever we want for raclette, not just the traditional Swiss ingredients. Lots of fun, as everyone gets to eat what they want and the cooking action happens at the table, so everyone gets to sit around and interact. I love mkaing raclette as it takes no time to prep and is always delicious.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
we got iced in for x-mas, so cooking the whole dinner was up to me. we had turkey tenderloin with a dijon (sp?) cranberry sauce, mashed rhutabagas (sp?), corn bread, and baked butternut squash. lucky for me, i had all this food around the house so i didnt have to get out and go shopping yesterday. ag.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
on christmas eve we got lazy and just went out to chinese lol it was really good thought. for christmas my aunt is suppose to be bringing a turkey and my mom is makeing sides right now but its so unorganized i doubt well be eating for a while. lol thats my family lol

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
i got the 3 rib-in roast from the store today...it took me about 80 minutes to get out of my car and back into my car. the place was nuts. hopefully it will be worth it.
LOL, I dealt with that at Costco the other day when I bought my 15lb prime rib :p

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Turkey, mashed potatoes, yams, stuffing, rolls, squash, green beans... it's like Thanksgiving all over again!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
oh man....mom bought a **** load of jerky and dried sausage from the meat market. ohhhhhh man, i am in heaven.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
LOL, I dealt with that at Costco the other day when I bought my 15lb prime rib :p
holy crap, 15#! how do you grill such a large piece of meat? do you slow cook in the oven first, or is all over the coals? i'm assuming you can't use propane for such a beast.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I cooked a 8.5 lb prime rib on my out door grill eeeemmmmmmm! so good. How the hell do you get a 15lb prime rib in the oven? Crazy!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I made a huge beef stew with about 6 pounds of meat, two bottles of wine, roughly a gallon of beef/mushroom stock, and a pile of carrots, onions, garlic, turnips, parsnips, herbs and other deliciousness...simmered for about 7 hours...damn that was good and I've still got some in the fridge...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the 9 lb bone-in rib roast was awesome. did a recipefrom the boston globe and it was delicious. one the best pieces of meat i've ever cooked. and the cold leftovers tonight were great too...w/ leftover gravy, carrots and potatoes (ate all the green beans and sauteed spinach).

would do this again in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive (not to mention heart-clogging).

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
holy crap, 15#! how do you grill such a large piece of meat? do you slow cook in the oven first, or is all over the coals? i'm assuming you can't use propane for such a beast.
I BBQ the whole time, you can't use direct heat so propane wont work. I'm still a firm believer in the Weber kettle grills, it takes betewwen 2-2.5 hours to cook.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
the 9 lb bone-in rib roast was awesome. did a recipefrom the boston globe and it was delicious. one the best pieces of meat i've ever cooked. and the cold leftovers tonight were great too...w/ leftover gravy, carrots and potatoes (ate all the green beans and sauteed spinach).

would do this again in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive (not to mention heart-clogging).
That sounds like a good recipe, I'll have to try it. I hear you on the $, mine was $98:eek: