Quantcast

What's fermenting now?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
homebrewtalk.com has tons of recipes. Many are award winning. I see no reason to buy a book, unless you want something to read in the bathroom...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've made a lot of really spectacular beers using extract. I'm sure all grain is great but I'm not sure it's "the only way to go." :monkey:

Got an IPA in the bottle right now. Tried out Citra and Mosaic hops, both of which I've enjoyed in other beers. Columbus to bitter, and Simcoe along with the Citra & Mosaic to put a little resin in there to counter-balance the fruit.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
I've made a lot of really spectacular beers using extract. I'm sure all grain is great but I'm not sure it's "the only way to go." :monkey:
maybe I used the wrong hyperbole, but I've noticed a definite improvement in my beer since switching over.

either way you end up with good beer.

curious BV, have you tried all grain?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've done a full brew-in-a-bag. It was great. Haven't done enough to figure out if I'd get a substantial improvement by doing it every time - so I don't claim to be an AG expert - but sometimes people thinking about trying to brew feel like they need to jump straight to all grain with its various terminologies, and get overwhelmed.

As it is, I typically use some extract and lots of steeped grains.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I just dry hopped a pale ale last week, need to keg that soon.

I'm picking up some Amber ingredients today.

I have a Red, ESB and Porter on tap.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I just dry hopped a pale ale last week, need to keg that soon.

I'm picking up some Amber ingredients today.

I have a Red, ESB and Porter on tap.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just brewed a belgian strong ale sunday. added another 1lb of sugar last night. chugging right along.

very excited, as i've done some equipment upgrades now that i'm getting back into it. got myself a propane burner for boils, and have finally switched over to kegging. this belgian will be my first kegged beer.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
Got a berliner weiss fermenting away. my first try at souring the wort, left a pound of 2-row in the wort for 2 days at about 110 to build up some lactic acid, then boiled for about 15 minutes to kill off the bacteria, and pitched some US-05. Looking forward to this one.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Not homebrew, but I have to share 'cause I'm stoked. 6 years ago, when I started working on the packaging line at Troegs, I was homebrewing a lot of funky stuff with wild yeast and bacteria. I attempted various ways of oak aging, but never quite nailed it. When I moved to the cellar at Troegs, I got the opportunity to work with a handful of wine barrels and we put out some very good wild beers in very limited quantity. Over the years, we've built quite the collection of wine and bourbon barrels and, again, we've put out some really decent beers from them, but it was always in the background to everything else. Well, sh!t just got real. I can't wait to funk these things up! 90 hl (~2400 gal), mix of French and Hungarian oak

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Got a berliner weiss fermenting away. my first try at souring the wort, left a pound of 2-row in the wort for 2 days at about 110 to build up some lactic acid, then boiled for about 15 minutes to kill off the bacteria, and pitched some US-05. Looking forward to this one.
How did this turn out? One of my favorite styles.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
How did this turn out? One of my favorite styles.
Tart, should have stopped at 1 day. I think the sweetness before fermentation helped mask how tart it really was. Still good, but most likely too tart to share with people.

What kind of bugs/wild yeast you going to put in those barrels? I'm just starting out experimenting with such things.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
What kind of bugs/wild yeast you going to put in those barrels? I'm just starting out experimenting with such things.
We've mainly been using Brett. lambicus, Brett. bruxellensis, and Lactobacillus delbrueckii. I'd like to introduce Pediococcus to the mix. I've also been talking with the lab about seeing what we can catch at a local orchard. I'd love to introduce a local yeast to the mix to add a flavor/aroma element that is uniquely ours.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Update from me,
This morning I bottled a Rauchbier (smoked robust porter) and brewed a 50L batch of IPA. The Rauch is for me to enjoy at home and the IPA is just a hopfest crowd pleaser to put on tap at my bike shop.
Then this afternoon I dropped the finished stand I built for the new 300L fermenter into the brewery today (I'm helping to build a commercial micro brewery, building bits for it etc etc). Can't wait to get this up and running, got more than a few barrel aging experiments I want to play with (I'm going to be the assistant brewery for the Wild & Wooly brewery).
Tomorrow we have the "before" party at the brewery as in the before construction, hopefully not to many months after that will be the opening party! :D
https://untappd.com/b/wild-woolly-basilisk-spiced-berliner-weisse/582339

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Why secondary?

I'm out of beer. Want to brew but I'm super sore with this shoulder injury.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
That's awesome bikegeek. I know there are wild yeasts everywhere. I've actually been messing around with home made natural sauerkraut and kim-chi lately and those all use natural yeasts. Any time you get apples or cabbage etc that has that white powdery stuff on it, that's usually a yeast. Why not try out an experimental batch.

We've mainly been using Brett. lambicus, Brett. bruxellensis, and Lactobacillus delbrueckii. I'd like to introduce Pediococcus to the mix. I've also been talking with the lab about seeing what we can catch at a local orchard. I'd love to introduce a local yeast to the mix to add a flavor/aroma element that is uniquely ours.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
The Blonde just finished, cold crashing now. Took a sick day and did a double brew of a Cascade Pale Ale, and a Brown Ale. All 3 will be for my wedding in about 5 weeks.

Hoping they all come out well.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
On Saturday night I brewed for the first time in over a year. Did a big IPA (DIPA?) with 24lbs 2-row, 2 crystal 40 and 1lb Carapils. Ended up around 6.078... We will see what the ending gravity is, but I use a high alcohol yeast (whitelabs San Diego ale) so I'm hoping it will be around 8%.

As for the hop schedule: (10g batch btw)
4oz Citra - 60min
2oz Citra - 10 min
2oz Centennial - 0 min
3oz grapefruit and lime zest - Whirlpool

Gonna add another 4oz centennial and 2oz Amarillo into secondary.

Probably gonna call it Slick-Rock IPA since i brewed this for an upcoming trip out to Moab in early October.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Brewed for the first time in well over a year today. Also, my first legit lager with the fridge I picked up for just such purposes over 2 years ago. :think: Researching ideas for turning it into a kegerator. I've already got 2 soda kegs that I've been packing around for years, just need to pick up gas, tubing, tap handles etc. Wife is fully on board, so the battle is 3/4 over.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Lager went into secondary today. Looking to squeeze at least .008 more out of it. Fermentation is still pretty active. Fridge is resting this week @47f. Tasted pretty good. :happydance:

I need to look for another recipe. Hoping to squeeze in one more lagering session before CO winter makes my garage fridge useless.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've got ingredients for an all chinook ipa (including a full pound of homegrown hops), a session IPA, and a witte. gonna get through all 3 before switching to winter beers.

my keg of belgian dark ale is almost kicked, so i need to get something else going.