Quantcast

What's fermenting now?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Cooked up a smoked porter yesterday. Used my wort chiller and was reminded how much I hate using it....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As of yesterday I have a continental dark ale fermenting. Temperature corrected beginning specific gravity was a touch low (1.041, for this recipe starting was supposed to be 1.043-1.045, but close enough yea?) but I think it'll be ok. Fermentation is active and brew bucket is at 68°.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Right now I have three half gallon yeast starters going in preparation for next weekend's brewing. WLP840 for a pilsner, WLP060 for a brown ale and WLP002 for a braggot.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My continental dark is now bottled. Got 2 full cases + 1 ~18oz grolsch bottle. In the beer fridge right at 48°. Final gravity was around 1.02 i believe (I have it in my notes, didn't get quite the full drop it was supposed to, was this caused by not enough yeast?). Did a small taste test and even without carbonation it was pretty good. Can hardly wait until its properly ready.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My continental dark is now bottled. Got 2 full cases + 1 ~18oz grolsch bottle. In the beer fridge right at 48°. Final gravity was around 1.02 i believe (I have it in my notes, didn't get quite the full drop it was supposed to, was this caused by not enough yeast?). Did a small taste test and even without carbonation it was pretty good. Can hardly wait until its properly ready.
Down from what? Thats okay for a final but not great for most beers. Did you correct for temp?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've got a farmhouse ale in primary. It's ready to be moved to secondary. I'll do that tomorrow. I'm going to dry hop an ounce of amarillo hops, because what beer wouldn't benefit from an ounce of dry hopping?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Racked my smoked porter to secondary, added 1 tablespoon of cocoa to the carboy. I think it's going to be too smokey, so hopefuly the cocoa will offset the smoke some.

I was going to rack my brown ale as well but the gravity has stalled at 1.030. OG was 1.061. I rousted the yeast and pitched a packet of Nottingham. Even though this is a brown ale, I'll probably end up dry hopping it with some Willamette hops, just because I have four pounds of them in my freezer...:thumb:

the question is, what will I brew next?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
hey sorry I dunno the terms. Would I be correct in deducing that by stirring it up it redistributes the yeast so it can get at the remaining sugars?
That's what they tell me. I also added more yeast, just incase.

The original yeast was Windsor and it's not the best at attenuation(eating of the sugars). Nottingham was what I pitched yesterday and it does a very good job of eating sugars. So I'll probably end up w/ a dry, high ABV beer....

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Kegging my Belgian dubbel tonight! Should be ready to drink over the holiday weekend! :cheers:

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I bottled my farmhouse ale yesterday. Initial taste test = WINNAR! It's now got to bottle condition for three months. Stupid.

I've got nothing fermenting now and all the beer equipment has been put away. :(

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the amber ale that was supposed to come with my brewkit (but was backordered) finally showed up yesterday. Looks like I'm brewing this weekend :cheers:

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I had about a half-pound of special-B malts left over from the previous batch so I decided to experiment a bit by brewing a Belgian-style IPA using Hallertau for the boil and dry hopping with Cascade hops.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have a Pliny the Elder recipe merrily bubbling away in the guest bathroom.

Some notes:

- First beer I've made where the original gravity was absolutely on the money to expected value (after adjusting for temperature)

- LOL @ 17 ounces of hops. An embarrassment of riches. :weee:

- I need a better way to strain the spent hops out of the wort if I'm going to do more beers like this. The screen clogged up instantly. Maybe like a giant Frech press for the pot?

- I had a surprisingly large amount of krausen on my yeast starter, weird (my last two starters had almost none). Sure made for a short lag time, though - the airlock was bubbling after 3 hours and had a giant head of krausen after 6.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
cheese cloth? perhaps sew it into a large steep bag?
The problem is mostly that I'm fermenting in a carboy. It's not what I use to strain that's the issue, it's how. The thin neck means I can only get so big a strainer in there, and if I did a transfer via siphon into a steep bag, the bag in the carboy would get too big to pull out.

I think the french press idea is genius, actually, and I may try to fabricate something.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The problem is mostly that I'm fermenting in a carboy. It's not what I use to strain that's the issue, it's how. The thin neck means I can only get so big a strainer in there, and if I did a transfer via siphon into a steep bag, the bag in the carboy would get too big to pull out.

I think the french press idea is genius, actually, and I may try to fabricate something.
don't sew it like a sack, sew it like a long tube - kind of like a sock. so that its narrow enough to be pulled out.

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA

You can put the hops in hop bags or nylon paint strainer bags and actually boil them that way. There are a bunch of pics with how people try and do this. I have done it a few ways. The easiest, use a clothes pin and pin it to the handles of the kettle. A friend just put holes in the top of the bag and put a wooden handle through it and sits that on top of the kettle. There are more involved ways... PVC pipe with bag attached to it and a handle going through holes in it. I've seen one that actually had it hanging via a clothes hanger... Lots of options. Sadly the bags are a pain to clean but you will keep all that crap out of the fermenter.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You can put the hops in hop bags or nylon paint strainer bags and actually boil them that way. There are a bunch of pics with how people try and do this. I have done it a few ways. The easiest, use a clothes pin and pin it to the handles of the kettle. A friend just put holes in the top of the bag and put a wooden handle through it and sits that on top of the kettle. There are more involved ways... PVC pipe with bag attached to it and a handle going through holes in it. I've seen one that actually had it hanging via a clothes hanger... Lots of options. Sadly the bags are a pain to clean but you will keep all that crap out of the fermenter.
A fine idea, but it won't allow me to go to Home Depot and play in the hardware section :rant:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
i was thinking false bottom too.
I'll take a picture of mine tonight but I've got a homemade version of a bazooka screen in mine that I made with some copper pipe and the braided stainless jacket from a dishwasher hose.

Mine is similar to this but I have a T after the threaded portion and my filter is circular.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No, it's just a regular 5-gallon stock pot.

Is the implication with that cylindrical filter that you screw the filter into the bottom of the pot, and the hops go into the filter?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
No, it's just a regular 5-gallon stock pot.

Is the implication with that cylindrical filter that you screw the filter into the bottom of the pot, and the hops go into the filter?
Nope, with my system you drain the kettle through a ball valve installed at the bottom of the kettle. The strainer sits inside on the bottom and hops are added directly to the boiling wort. When I'm finished boiling I connect my counterflow chiller to the outlet on the kettle and open it up, the strainer inside the kettle catches most of the trub. If I were really concerned with it I could filter the rest through cheesecloth before it goes into the fermenter.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm bottling my brown ale today. It's about 3% ABV. FAR short of the 6+ I was shooting for. My first "failure"? meh...:)

this is what it looks like now....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
3%?? Yeesh, I'd be really careful with that. Might end up with bottle bombs if the fermentation decides to start back up in the bottles.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
well, it is now down to 1.020, so maybe I won't get bombs...

However, just in case, I wrapped the bottles in a plastic bag.

tasted good while bottling, fwiw.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wow how did this thread drop down so far?

just racked into secondary fermenter... bavarian style heffe-weiss. about 5% abv after primary fermentation (2 weeks)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I JUST pitched yeast into my ale.

1 pound of vienna
1 pound of Rauch (smoked grain)
1 pound of crystal 80L
9 pounds of 2 row

2.5 ounces of hops in the boil. mostly Willamette with 1/2 ounce of Amarillo.

Nottingham yeast.

Should be good.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well my last batch was a complete slam-dunk. Have been getting absolutely rave reviews about it and I think it tastes stellar.

Gotta decide what to do next, though. Last two beers have been IPAs but I really like IPAs. Considering a brown sugar ale, a rye pale ale, or maybe something completely different.