Quantcast

What's fermenting now?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
My beer usually stays in primary for 4 weeks. My suggestion to you is to make more beer. :) I try to brew at least once a month, if not twice. Time is your friend when it comes to brewing....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
need some feedback from all you verterans:

a buddy is brewing a stout. he went to bottle last night, flavors were rather "off". not sure exactly how. i was trying to help him trouble shoot. FG only got down to 1.023, and that got him to 4.7% abv. Come to find out he only left it in primary for 2 weeks, and no secondary. He seems to think that 2 weeks is plenty long for fermentation. One of his responses:

"Ok mr. Expert, unless you're dry hopping, going HG, lagering, or adding fruit, 2 weeks is fine and secondary will only get you a clearer beer and less time bottle finishing."

thoughts? should he have let it go longer, and/or done secondary?

edit: come to find out he also double pitched

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I am no veteran but I find longer always equals better.
...also the more you move your beer the more apt it is to get an infection &/or oxidized. I only do a secondary if I need the space.
Maybe cuz he double pitched there are still some active yeast, doing things yeast do.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I am no veteran but I find longer always equals better.
...also the more you move your beer the more apt it is to get an infection &/or oxidized. I only do a secondary if I need the space.
Maybe cuz he double pitched there are still some active yeast, doing things yeast do.
Weird. What temps was he fermenting at? The only time I've come across that slow fermentation was when the temps were too cold for the yeast to do their thing. Did he aerate it well after cooling? Pitch the yeast when the wort was too warm? Use old yeast?

As for a secondary, I mainly use that to clean all/most of the crap out of the beer. I've only skipped that step once (with a milk-stout) and the sediment clogged the hell out of my bottling tool. I'd get a couple bottles filled, and then have to clean all of the gunk out. Since that disaster, I've gone back to always doing a secondary. It might not be as important if you're kegging, but for bottling it was a nightmare.

Last edited:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I am of the belief that if the beer is good, the technique is good. There are many many opinions when it comes to making beer. Personally, two weeks is WAY to short of a time.

especially if he double pitched. What was his OG and what was his expected FG? Either way, he sounds like a jackass/know-it-all. :) (where is that :nuts: icon dealy when I need it?)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am of the belief that if the beer is good, the technique is good. There are many many opinions when it comes to making beer. Personally, two weeks is WAY to short of a time.

especially if he double pitched. What was his OG and what was his expected FG? Either way, he sounds like a jackass/know-it-all. :) (where is that :nuts: icon dealy when I need it?)
he was off his expected FG. expected was 1.015. only got to 1.023

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Mashing my grains for the recipe below right now. My first lager & my first commercial clone attempt.

Lakefront Riverwest Stein Beer
3 gallons

OG=1.058
FG=1.016
ABV=5.5%
IBU=38
SRM=9

5.33 lb American 2-row
6.4 oz Carapils
6.4 oz Caramunich
1 oz Roasted Barley
0.5 oz Cascade (5.9% alpha, 120 minutes)
1 oz Willamette (4.6% alpha, 30 minutes) ---->SUBSTITUTED Fuggles
0.5 oz Mt. Hood (5% alpha, dry hopped)
WLP838 Southern German Lager yeast ---->SUBSTITUTED Wyeast American Lager

Mash at 155 F for 90 minutes. Boil 1 hours, adding hops per schedule. Ferment at 50 F for 2 weeks, then lager for a month at <40 F.

Prost!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
5# Munich
5# Vienna
3# 2 Row

Cluster hops at 60, 25 and 10
Willamette at 5

Nottingham

Mashing at 155-ish

fermenting in the upper 50's.

it's 35 degrees out and sunny right now. :)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
wrong thread ^^^^

Brewed up a lager yesterday. it's bubbling at 56 degrees now.

5# Pilsner
5# British 2Row
1# Wheat
1# Crystal 60L
1 teaspoon Brewing Salts
Mt. Hood and Hallertauar brought the IBU's up to 23

Safelager S-23

I now have 20 gallons of beer in my basement...

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Just got back from Northern Brewer. I had to swap out my gas tank & while I was there I got some grains, hops & yeast for a PM porter.
4# 2 row
1#carafa III
1# crystal 40L
1# munich 10L
1# flaked oats
3.3# amber LME
some fuggles & northern brewer hops & wyeast 1084 irish ale yeast.

in primary...amber lager and my brown ipa.
in the keg...kolsch bier.

gotta move some beer tomorrow.

Last edited:

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I used just one of the Wyeast American Ale packages to start, but here in a day or two when it slows down a little I'm going to pitch another, just not sure what yet. I have concerns about fermentation sticking as high as the OG was.
keep us updated.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Maybe. Although I seem to recall Wyeast claiming that the "smack packs" were almost as good for home brewing purposes. If I should be doing anything, its running O2 through my wort. Time will tell I guess.
diggity. keep us posted the next time you take a gravity reading.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
brewing up a partial mash porter recipe right now. got about 4 gals. of wort outta my mash. waiting on my sample to cool so I can figure out my efficiency.

EDIT---looks like 69% did a.5 mash this time. still tweeking my biab method.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Racked to a secondary today. Pitched more yeast and dry hopped. Gravity today was 1.059, which if I remember correctly puts it already at damn near 6%abv. :weee:

:cheers:

and yes, it was fvcking delicious.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I'm trying real hard to not taste test the Imperial russian stout I bottled in mid december.
OG was 1098 FG was 1022.
Black as black can be, a veritable black hole!
I cant wait to see the difference between the bottled and the stuff I have aging in the oak ex Spanish sherry barrel..... Hand pump material I think, might be a bit on the sweet side maybe (provided no infections due to the breathableity of the barrel)?

Must hold off opening, but the temptation is getting strong!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I kegged a beer 3 weeks ago and it's not carbonated. it comes out of the tap really really foamy but it's completely flat.