Quantcast

What's made in the US these days?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Does Sram make any of their shat in the states anymore?

Any US made forks?

Let's see if we can come up with a list of US made components (not frames).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Pretty sure Fox suspension is assembled in the US from parts of Taiwanese manufacture.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Anchor babies :plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown: Santa Cruz Bikes have a logo on their socks which fit SCB Standard Chinese Bike ,I try really hard to buy American products every thig else is an import :crazy::crazy::crazy:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Does Sram make any of their shat in the states anymore?

Any US made forks?

Let's see if we can come up with a list of US made components (not frames).
It's worse. Sram is predominantly made in China.

If you count Zipp, they still have "some" US production.

Are White Bros made here, or is that UK??? I would have to look.

Maverick suspension???

Surly makes some stuff stateside.

Monkey
,I try really hard to buy American products every thig else is an import :crazy::crazy::crazy:
I have to SC bikes so I'm entitled to talk smack.

I didn't know that Chameleons went to Taiwan AFTER I bought one last year when I saw the "Taiwan" sticker. The best part is I think the price went up after the production shifted overseas.

So I had to hunt down an 05- Bullit frame that was made stateside. I will not be buying another Taiwan-made Santa Cruz. And for the price of the VPP bikes I will go with Intense.

It is rather funny when people in the States say "I don't care where it's made". They won't be so open minded when their job gets outsourced. Give it time, the irony will be on them.

Jobs for American workers, well that is what motivates me to buy American made stuff anyway...
that goes for me too. I think that makes me a hillbilly bigot on Ridemonkey.

Maverick suspension???

Surly makes some stuff stateside.
I think the outsourcing already started for Maverick, with the UD32 or whatever it's called at least.

Last edited:

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Cheaper, yes........better....not the case 95% of the time.
If you want to pay for all the tooling and details Taiwan is plenty capable of making a high end frame. It's no 'insert favorite welder here' bike, but they have good capabilities, and like all things QC is a must. But...all that stuff adds up, and after you’re done transporting it and the like it's not much cheaper. The US could produce frames, but we don't have much left for large scale operations here, which is really too bad..

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
If you want to pay for all the tooling and details Taiwan is plenty capable of making a good frame. It's no 'insert favorite welder here' bike, but they have good capabilities, and like all things QC is a must. But...all that stuff adds up, and after you’re done transporting it and the like it's not much cheaper. The US could produce frames, but we don't have much left for large scale operations here, which is really too bad..
Hence why I said 95% of the time. There's very few Taiwanese mfg. companies (for bike frames) that are on par with small, "boutique" US frame manufacturers, such as Turner, IF, Seven Cycles, etc.

And like I said before, "quality" is a lot more than just pretty welds and nice paint. Customer service, warranty, etc. plays a much bigger role in how a judge a company, moreso than their manufacturing capabilities. I've had much better experience handling CS/warranty issues with smaller US frame companies than I have with overseas/over-the-border companies.

But that's just me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
some brooklyn stuff is still made here. I don't think they do much in-house welding, I believe that's sourced to kinesis, and the park bike was from taiwan or something. the earlier bikes were all done in house, including the racelink up through like #50 or something.

I thought much of yeti's stuff was overseas now, except for the 303.

There are a few small companies still making bikes handwelded in the us...Superco, purgatory bikes, some of sinister's stuff. I think topolino's stuff is all made in the US. I know it's at least put together here, if the rims are sourced from outside.

ArtKARPIEL

Chimp
May 30, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Risse Racing
Arrow Racing
Romic shocks
MRP guides
Gamut guides
Mr.Dirt
ODI (Oury) grips
Lizard Skins
SIC components
Function Bikes
Clif Cat
Hurricane components
AC components
DangerboyCNC
Spinergy wheels
FOES (forks + frames)
etc......

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Risse Racing
Arrow Racing
Romic shocks
MRP guides
Gamut guides
Mr.Dirt
ODI (Oury) grips
Lizard Skins
SIC components
Function Bikes
Clif Cat
Hurricane components
AC components
DangerboyCNC
Spinergy wheels
FOES (forks + frames)
etc......
Sadly 1/2 those companies are either dead or close to it.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Since Foes Racing was mentioned in a list of companies that I don't even know if they exist anymore......I'll mention them again.

Foes Racing, frames and shocks. All hand welded in Pasadena, Ca by a handful of really nice guys. Yes, they are spendy, but they are beautiful.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
E.thirteen Components' products are completely made in the USA, except for a few of the smaller bolts.

All of our plastic composites are molded locally and the backplates are made down south. Each Supercharger bashguard and Direct Mount taco is machined in-house (the machines are actually going right now), and we do all the pre-assembly as well.

:banana: :rockout:

And we also ride bikes and have fun!

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Forks entirely made in USA:

Avalanche - made in CT.
White Brothers - suspension forks USA, the rigid forks made by Saso in taiwan
Foes
Shock Therapy - custom
Risse