Quantcast

What's So Special About Guinness?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Am I the only one who doesn't get the whole Guinness thing? I have tried it a couple times, and I find that it isn't anything special. I love good beer, including dark micro-brews, but Guinness just doesn't do much for me. Is there a special way to serve it or drink it that I haven't experienced? :confused:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
It's a decent extra stout ale. There are others out there that are just as good, and I'm sure there may be better ones. It's all marketing.

It also helps that in the midst of America's low carb craze, it's come out that Guinness is comparable to a light beer, such as Amstel, in the carb department, or so I've read. A light beer with taste, interesting concept. :)

:eek:

what?

well, yes, a good bar-:monkey: can pour it jjuusstt right and even put a lucky charm/4 leaf clover IN THE SUDS

a moron rushes it and the Guiness tastes different. it must be poured slow to allow the CO2 to do its thing

what is the big deal? ... just a marketing thing really and it is darn good. when my nieghborhood pub sees me walk in, they pour one for me. can not beat the local establishments that way!

but, other dark beers are good to, but, Guiness and the CO2 is an old brew, is an Irish icon and thereby.... a marker of pride

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
How could you ask such a question??? :confused:

Guiness is smooth, creamy and should be poured slowly. I tend to like to drink mine just below room temp. We store it in the basement where it's cool, but not cold (maybe 50 degrees).

Trust me, go for a hard ride...have a slowly poured Guiness afterward (savor the flavor, don't chug) and you'll realize how AWESOME it is!!! :thumb:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I knew this would get some panties all bunched up. :p

I didn't say I though it was bad, just that I don't think it's anything special. I would honestly rather have a Killian's. Maybe I'll have to try one again, but IMO the local Micro-Brewery makes better dark beer.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Marketing and availability. There are better stouts out there...

(And for the last time, it's not a high alcohol beer. 4.1%. It's a light beer, but just happens to have a dark color.) :)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i dont like it at all man. bittter stout.horrendous aftertaste and a bite that i can not get over.also way to creamy for my taste. and yes stouts and porters are my favorite beers.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by berkshire_rider
Am I the only one who doesn't get the whole Guinness thing? I have tried it a couple times, and I find that it isn't anything special. I love good beer, including dark micro-brews, but Guinness just doesn't do much for me. Is there a special way to serve it or drink it that I haven't experienced? :confused:
I don't know you, but already I don't like you. :p ;)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I knew this would get some panties all bunched up. :p

I didn't say I though it was bad, just that I don't think it's anything special. I would honestly rather have a Killian's. Maybe I'll have to try one again, but IMO the local Micro-Brewery makes better dark beer.

Killians? Not impressed with Killians in the least. Not bad but no better than Coors Light to me.

Guinness is a different kind of beer. Should be given out as military rations; it's like drinking a freakin potato. I have to be in the mood for it. Serve slowly as others have said. Also, not ice-cold. Chilled a bit maybe or just warm, not cold.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's a way of life.

guinness should not be adulterated by any additions. black n tans are for clueless punters.

i've *never* seen anyone drink one here in ireland. i think it's a legal offence.

btw, N2 whippets are not recommended, unless you like the bends.

This has also been my experience with Guinness. The 3 times I tried one it was very bitter, and not smooth at all. :blah:
i understand there are two formulas... most american dist has the smooth taste but, i know that at the same pub, there is a way difference if the bartender has a clue, ie, if it is as has been said, poured fast and not mixing the N in it, then it is more bitter, a properlu poured Guiness is ..... a way of life kind a good.

talk to the bartender

there is an art involved .... so, you may need to change your local pub to one that takes the care and time wtih it

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
From www.guinness.com

How should GUINNESS® Draught be poured?
In the pub, the perfect pint of GUINNESS® Draught is served using a 'two-part' pour. First, start with a clean, dry glass. Pour the GUINNESS® stout into a glass tilted at 45 degrees, until it is 3/4 full. Allow the surge to settle before filling the glass completely to the top. Your perfect pint, with its creamy white head, is ready to drink.

At home, you should let the can chill for at least 3 hours before pouring the contents of the can into a large glass in one smooth action.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
This has also been my experience with Guinness. The 3 times I tried one it was very bitter, and not smooth at all. :blah:
the stout shouldn't be bitter; hops typically gives a beer this taste, and stouts are not overly hopped (like a pale ale or IPA).

. Maybe I'll have to try one again, but IMO the local Micro-Brewery makes better dark beer.
just curious what you are comparing it to. portsmouth brewing company? is it a stout, porter, or brown ale?

more fun facts about Guinness

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by narlus
the stout shouldn't be bitter; hops typically gives a beer this taste, and stouts are not overly hopped (like a pale ale or IPA).
Perhaps he's only had this?

"...strongest GUINNESS® in taste and has the highest alchohol content. Originally brewed for export to overseas markets such as Africa, it featured higher alcohol and carbonation levels as well as a more "hoppy" flavor to help the product survive long sea journeys. To the day, this strong oaky flavor is maintained at 19th century levels to provide a rich, flavorful drinking experience for beer connoisseurs and those who carry the love of this type of GUINNESS® from their home countries."

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
So, what I'm hearing is don't bother ordering Guiness unless I'm at an Irish pub? :confused:
Irish pubs tend to pour them better because they are expected to be able to properly pour them. I've had decently poured pints elsewhere, but it's hit or miss.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
when i clicked on the "beers" link, it just went to the main menu. i never did see any beers listed.

and i took the liberty to throw a simpsonism in there, McBain from the Radioactive Man episode

"These glasses do nothing, my eyes are burning"

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Originally posted by BarbaRosa
:eek:

what?

well, yes, a good bar-:monkey: can pour it jjuusstt right and even put a lucky charm/4 leaf clover IN THE SUDS

a moron rushes it and the Guiness tastes different. it must be poured slow to allow the CO2 to do its thing

what is the big deal? ... just a marketing thing really and it is darn good. when my nieghborhood pub sees me walk in, they pour one for me. can not beat the local establishments that way!

but, other dark beers are good to, but, Guiness and the CO2 is an old brew, is an Irish icon and thereby.... a marker of pride
Nitrogen, laddie. 'tis nitrogen, not CO2.
Oh, and as far as the question posed in this thread -- :stosh:
:)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
So, what I'm hearing is don't bother ordering Guiness unless I'm at an Irish pub? :confused:
I had 6 22oz-ers for happy hour yesterday at a TGI Fridays, so of course, it was not properly poured. Ya know what- I didn't give a $hit, 'cause it was on the boss's dime! :D