Quantcast

What's the best MTN bike Tubeless tire?

Subzero

Chimp
Jul 7, 2003
Kent, WA
I've used Hutchinson Scorpion Tubeless and thats about it. I'm new to this tubeless tire thing. I really like it on the front tire, it seems to work well. I'm on a Cannondale Jekyll 1000. The rear tire as already worn out and it was replaced with a Michelin XL S UST Tubeless rear tire. The front is still the Hutchinson Scorpion. I heard good things about the Michelin XL S UST Tubeless. What's your take on tubeless tires?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
No such thing as a best tire. There are too many variables such as terrain, skill, riding style, weight, wet dry, suspension etc.

You really need a small quiver of tires these days to suit your various needs. This week I'm on Michelin Comp UST because it rained hard recently and things are a bit wet. It'll be time to put the larger TT maxxis on soon as it will dry out over the next couple days. Then it'll get really loose so I'll need the fattest tires which will fit. I might be racing on the weekend which means the race only Red Phoenix will be mounted. Light and sticky rubber.

bikeCOLORADO

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Colorado Springs, USA!
The sturdiest and best all around UST tire I've used is the Hutchinson Python. I've gone through four sets on wildly varrying terrain. Super technical rocky, slickrock, babyheads, shale/scree fields, dry and dusty trails, damp and loamy dirt, roots, etc., etc.

I even ran over a cactus on Porcupine Rim in Moab. Stopped to check it out, had about 50 little cactus barbs sticking right in the tire. I almost stopped to put a tube in. Decided to keep riding until it went flat. It NEVER did. I mean NEVER did. I rode the tread off and it never went flat. Strong sidewall too for technical riding.

I hated:
Panaracer Fire XC UST - I ripped out a side wall after 2 rides. Had to use tubes after that.

Michelin Wildgripper UST - same thing, weak sidewalls.

Kenda Kharisma - Pretty good, but got a slow leak in one that I could not find and patch, had to throw a tube in it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Continental Vert Pro UST is an awesome tire, nice, tough, fast enough with plenty of grip and enough volume for all-round XC/trailriding.

MD