Quantcast

What's the Difference?

B-Loco

Chimp
Aug 13, 2001
South Florida
X-cross country - this is usually singletrack or it can be considered freeride. If it's x-country and singletrack than most riders have hardtail or full suspension with 80mm front forks(although 100mm is getting more popular) and 4 inches or less rear travel. Bikes are light and nimble. V-brakes are fine. For freeride you want a sturdy bike that can get you over anything. So this usually means a heavier full suspension bike and disc brakes. Forks are usually 100mm with 4 inches or 5 inches rear travel.

Downhill bikes - usually a full suspension bike with at least 5 inches of travel. (sometimes up to 8 or 9 inches!) Most front forks are dual crown. Downhill bikes also usually have disc brakes. And the bikes also weigh in around 30lbs or more.

Dual slalom - again the bikes are usually full suspension with 4-5 inches of travel. They have disc brakes. The frames are smaller so you can throw them around a bit, but they are also quite beefy to withstand the jumps and bumps on the course.

Hope this helps!

norimania

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
i am reluctant to do so, however i must disagree with one previous poster.

XC (cross-country) riding is typically done on a hardtail, although the number of short-travel fullsus riders is increasing. this would be a trail ride across a fairly long distance. XC riding is typically characterized by testing the rider's cardio-vascular endurance, as the rides usually go beyond simple muscle fatigue.

DH (down-hill) is, just like it sounds, sprinting down a hill or mountain face. the competition side of this is often in the form of a drag race. typically fairly straight courses (compared to other genres of racing) are run at high speed on a long-travel fullsus rig. the ride is usually quite rough, quite fast, and can really test a rider's ability to quickly choose and accurately follow a line down the course

DS (dual-slalom), or just slalom, is... well, imagine taking the idea of the skiing slalom course and running it on a bike (dirt instead of snow, of course). although some do ride a fullsus in dual-slalom, the majority ride a hardtail. there has evolved a slalom-specific geometry and buiding method involving short seat tubes and boxed tubing in the rear triangle; and this is proving to be a very good combination for powering into and out of sharp turns. like DH, this also tests a rider's skill in choosing and following a line, however it is (in this rider's opinion) slightly more difficult in that the rider is faced with more quick turns.

We also hear about "FreeRide" bikes. to me, no such thing exhists, since the whole idea of freeriding is to pretty much mingle all kinds of riding to one's content. the North Shore scene and the kind of riding that can be found there is usually what people are refering to when the mention freeriding. some downhill followed by a quick stretch of slalom, mixed with a few rather large drops (some reaching 12 feet or more). most of the bikes i've seen touted as a "freeride" machine fall into the category or a really beefy fullsus XC bike, although lately a lot of the DS fullsus bikes are falling into this "freeride" category. and i'm not saying that freeriding is not a legitimate genre of this sport.. it is through the idea of freeriding that this sport has been able to grow into new areas... i'm just saying that there is not really one design that fits all the areas that freeriding mixes.

that was much longer than i expected it to be. sorry.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Norimania.

I agree with you completely on your XC definition. Its unfortunate, however, in my oppinion that XC racing hasn't stuck to its roots and required racers to maitain a decent level of bike hadnling skills to match their lungs and legs. Other than the races run at higher altitudes, where a sustained climb can be punishing, I admit a little disapppointment and frustration when I watch racers running through basically smooth, fast off-road course, which look to me like they could be done on a cross bike, showing off more the number of miles they put in on their road bikes during their training season rather than their expert ability to manipulate a bike.

I would love to see this kind of racing.

1 loop=18 to 25 miles. Begs and Sport run 1 lap. Experts run two laps. Long, fast open sections between tight, torterous and technical woods, a section of smaller drops and technical decents, maybe a climb up a 10 degree pebble field with an 18" step-up at the top, AND a pace that brings top level athletes to tears. No penalties for running the tough stuff, just a lose of respect from those who can ride it.

Is that asking too much?

If anyone knows of such a race, let me know.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Well I think of my self as a FREE RIDER on a free ride rig this is a full suspension bike with 5" or more of travel ( some of the crazies ride a hard tail rig with long travel fork`s ) in this type of riding you do some climbing to have access to a DH type run since I do both XC and DH = free ride we don`t always need a shuttle ,but we like them my free ride rig is a Bullit :D with a triple ring up front:p

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Merwin5_10
Norimania.

I agree with you completely on your XC definition. Its unfortunate, however, in my oppinion that XC racing hasn't stuck to its roots and required racers to maitain a decent level of bike hadnling skills to match their lungs and legs. Other than the races run at higher altitudes, where a sustained climb can be punishing, I admit a little disapppointment and frustration when I watch racers running through basically smooth, fast off-road course, which look to me like they could be done on a cross bike, showing off more the number of miles they put in on their road bikes during their training season rather than their expert ability to manipulate a bike.

I would love to see this kind of racing.

1 loop=18 to 25 miles. Begs and Sport run 1 lap. Experts run two laps. Long, fast open sections between tight, torterous and technical woods, a section of smaller drops and technical decents, maybe a climb up a 10 degree pebble field with an 18" step-up at the top, AND a pace that brings top level athletes to tears. No penalties for running the tough stuff, just a lose of respect from those who can ride it.

Is that asking too much?

If anyone knows of such a race, let me know.
WORD!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
the courses here are much more than a drag race straight down the hill. Most courses here have pedaling, tight turns, drops etc... It is a true test of body and machine.

dw

M

M.W.

Originally posted by obiwan-f1moto
the courses here are much more than a drag race straight down the hill. Most courses here have pedaling, tight turns, drops etc... It is a true test of body and machine.

dw
I think most modern DH courses are slower and more twisty/pedally/technical than is percieved by most people, not just the east. I think that DH (especially out west) still suffers from the image of the Mammoth Kamikaze races. You know, the 50t chainring, 70mph stuff. The only course I've ever raced was about 40% flat pedally singletrack through the trees interspersed with fall-line chutes, jumps, berms and some drops (3-7ft.). And all the other courses I've ridden have been more focussed on technical stuff than on sheer speed. That being said, I can only speak for courses in southern BC, never having ridden anywhere else. That's just the impression that I get from everyone on MTBR talking about their racing and posting pics and such.

Oh yeah, just thought I'd clear up that this isn't meant as an argument to anyone else's statements, just my 2cents.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
MW, if you ever get over to Rossland, have a local take you out to the BC Cup DH course. It should restore your faith in DH racing.

norimania

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
with regards to defining DH and DS:

i don't mean to paint the picture that DH is simply a straight drag race. perhaps i chose my words poorly. i was attempting to make a clear distinction between DH and DS, the former of which tends to involve less technical cornering than the latter. there does seem to be a growing fuzziness about these two specializations of the sport, however... as DH becomes more technical, it begins to resemble DS. anyone else find this an interesting melding? Still, though, with DH one would certainly want a fullsus, while in DS a short bike with a suspended front end and beefy rear triangle (more and more boxed seat- and chain-stays) seems to be an increasing preference.

well this is my thoughts:
+xc is more of a mix of uphill,Downhill and flat areas and has the occansional small drop off

+Downhill is going down a nice steep hill which is full of big drops and jumps and only last a couple of minutes
Dual slalom is racing against another rider in downhill who ever wins goes up the ladder to the last two left

well this is my thoughts:
+xc is more of a mix of uphill,Downhill and flat areas and has the occansional small drop off

+Downhill is going down a nice steep hill which is full of big drops and jumps and only last a couple of minutes

+Dual slalom is racing against another rider in downhill who ever wins goes up the ladder to the last two left

There is more to it but that's just the basics of what there is

M

MuDHoG

Originally posted by norimania

We also hear about "FreeRide" bikes. to me, no such thing exhists, since the whole idea of freeriding is to pretty much mingle all kinds of riding to one's content. the North Shore scene and the kind of riding that can be found there is usually what people are refering to when the mention freeriding. some downhill followed by a quick stretch of slalom, mixed with a few rather large drops (some reaching 12 feet or more). most of the bikes i've seen touted as a "freeride" machine fall into the category or a really beefy fullsus XC bike, although lately a lot of the DS fullsus bikes are falling into this "freeride" category. and i'm not saying that freeriding is not a legitimate genre of this sport.. it is through the idea of freeriding that this sport has been able to grow into new areas... i'm just saying that there is not really one design that fits all the areas that freeriding mixes.

that was much longer than i expected it to be. sorry.
I have to wonder if you have seen the north shore or if you have just heard about it through other people? I am going to clarify for you what freeriding actually is....one thing it is not is what you said it was.....what you tried to describe freeriding as sounded more like xc to me. The shore consists of log rides, teeters, bridge rides, tight single track, steep ass downhill, huge drops and jumps and rock drops....riding this stuff is not in itself freeriding, although technical and difficult, it's not. Free riding is what is Free Riding basically you go out and do whatever the hell ya feel like doin.....ya ride the log and 180 off the end...manual down a log ride...hit a jump ..whatever! oh and a beefy xc bike would not last a minute on some of the trails at the shore....it would snap like tinder (unless you stuck to the trail and didn't hit anything interesting..but then you would xc riding)

Nizmeister

"Manchild"
Jul 3, 2001
Again I bow to the MudHog. My bike, although advertised as XC is more Freeride in that I can and do, do anything

XC,DH,Freeride, Cyclecross, Trials. I just chage componets accoriding to what I plan to do (b4 I ride out of course!)

M

MuDHoG

exactamundo my friend...exactamundo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why couldn't I have thought of something short and to the point like that.....like to read myself talk I guess. lol

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
LeatherFace said:
Just curious...what is the difference between cross-country, downhill, and dual slolam. Different bikes, but how? Different rides, but how?
downhill usually has a steeper head tube and double crown 8 inch bylky suspension...same w. freeride...xc is more hardtail 4 inch suspension...anything else im me at habitatxskate on aim