Quantcast

What's the recommended length of the coil?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have a Fox Vanilla RC w/ Piggyback onmy new bike but I'll have to change the coil. The one that came on the bike seems a little short to me (it goes to about 1/3 of the threaded body of the shock). I did not have the chance to ride the bike yet but i'm pretty sure i'll destroy the shock on full compression (the coil spring will be fully compressed before the end of the travel).

So what coil length I should get? the shock is a 8" i2i and has 2.25" of travel.

Thanks a lot.

P.S.: Don't worry, I will NOT ride the bike before I get the new coil spring. And the lbs is taking care of this, it's not really my problem...but I want to double check with you :monkey:s so that I'll know that the new coil spring I'll get is the right one.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
The Fox shock that came on my Eliminator frame worried me as well. The spring sits in the middle of the threaded body on my shock. If the spring is too short you'll get coil bind and really can't ruin the shock. If it came that way stock though it should be fine.

What is the spring rate an stroke? It should be marked on the coil.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Spring rate and spring stroke should be marked on the spring. If you aren't used to reading these, no biggie. It will look something like: 600 x 2.35. The first number indicates the force in pounds it takes to compress the spring ONE INCH. The second number indicates the total distance in inches that the spring can be compressed. As long as you keep the second number greater than your shock's actual stroke, there will never be a problem. Remember, as you add preload, you are compressing the spring, and therefore reduce the amount of travel the spring has remaining. So if you have a 2" stroke shock and a 2.35" stroke spring, you could preload the spring 0.35" (not very much) before you got coil bind. Preload doesn't help much anyway, so no big deal there.

As long as the numbers are right, you should be fine.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by KonaDude
Spring rate and spring stroke should be marked on the spring. If you aren't used to reading these, no biggie. It will look something like: 600 x 2.35. The first number indicates the force in pounds it takes to compress the spring ONE INCH. The second number indicates the total distance in inches that the spring can be compressed. As long as you keep the second number greater than your shock's actual stroke, there will never be a problem. Remember, as you add preload, you are compressing the spring, and therefore reduce the amount of travel the spring has remaining. So if you have a 2" stroke shock and a 2.35" stroke spring, you could preload the spring 0.35" (not very much) before you got coil bind. Preload doesn't help much anyway, so no big deal there.

As long as the numbers are right, you should be fine.
Thanks! It's really close (a 2.31 on a 2.25 stroke shock). I have to change the spring anyway...so I'll check this out to make sure I pick a good size.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
That will work just fine, what spring rate are you looking for? I have a few different springs of that length sitting around.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by ssaddict
That will work just fine, what spring rate are you looking for? I have a few different springs of that length sitting around.
I need a 600. Maybe a 550 would do the job but I'm afraid it'll bottom out on big hits with a 550. How (who used to have the same bike) suggested me to go for a 600 or a 650.

If my lbs or Balfa don't want to change the spring on my bike (which would make me :angryfire), I'll let you know...I'd be very interested! Thanks... :)