Quantcast

What's the verdict on the new Flux v4.0? Is it a good, aggressive rider's trail bike?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I got my new Banshee Spitfire and have no qualms about it, but would like to keep my stable all DW link bikes. I got an extremely good deal on my Spitty(complete), and now have an amazing trail bike parts build that I can swap over to another frame should I choose to do so. Found someone who is interested in buying my frame, so I am considering selling it in order to get one of the new carbon Turners. Either the RFX or Flux. I would prefer something with 140mm travel, but Turner doesn't offer that(yet). It's either go with the 160 RFX, or the 120 Flux. What's the verdict on the Flux? Is it beefy enough to handle aggressive riding? What do you guys think of the geo?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Flux is way more XC oriented than your Spitfire. That's cool if that's what you're into, but they're quite different bikes in terms of intended purpose. If you're expecting the Flux to be as aggressive as the Spitfire, only carbon-ier and DW-ier, you're going to be disappointed.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
The Flux is way more XC oriented than your Spitfire. That's cool if that's what you're into, but they're quite different bikes in terms of intended purpose. If you're expecting the Flux to be as aggressive as the Spitfire, only carbon-ier and DW-ier, you're going to be disappointed.
Yeah looking at the geo more intently, i see that now. I think head angle is a good figure to look at to determine the intended purpose of a bike. The slacker the more aggressive the bike is meant to be ridden. 67.5 for Flux, 66 for the RFX. Spitty is 66 in the slack setting, 66.5 in mid, 67 in tall. I'm going to keep my eye out for a good deal on an RFX. Maybe a good condition used one.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Those fluxeseses are pretty solid. The bb height makes it stable and the headtube size makes pretty much any angle you want. If I had more expendable monies, I'd get one.

And then paint it immediately because only offering a white bike sucks.

The rfx really is kind of a tank. Not in weight, just in how it's put together geo/stiffness/suspension-wise. It's got long chainstays, a rather forgiving and not very spritely suspension curve.

There's a gap between the two bikes but it's more because of the rfx as a smasher than because of the flux being some pinner little thing. As to your original question,

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Those fluxeseses are pretty solid. The bb height makes it stable and the headtube size makes pretty much any angle you want. If I had more expendable monies, I'd get one.

Yeah, they do actually look pretty cool. Just quite different than a Spitfire.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Did prices go up on these things? I thought i remembered the RFX being around $2500 with a shock, now they are $3045. I emailed DT to ask about pricing sans shock and they just take $100 off. Wayyy too much money for me to buy new. My Spit is fine. One day I'll own one of the new carbon Turner's, but i don't think any time soon

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The rfx really is kind of a tank. Not in weight, just in how it's put together geo/stiffness/suspension-wise. It's got long chainstays, a rather forgiving and not very spritely suspension curve.

There's a gap between the two bikes but it's more because of the rfx as a smasher than because of the flux being some pinner little thing. As to your original question,

White paint protects it from deadly you vee rays. Straight toobz are also good for 10% bigger huckz.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Having to plan lifting your front wheel 5 minutes in advance sucks worse.
i'm learning this with the new trance. i use it as an excuse to break in the pike faster by just smashing everything instead of trying to finesse anything.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Totally unridabru, because the chainstays are 7.72-10mm too long.

If you reference back to when I defined "playful"":

Playful:
| adjective | play-ful |

1. A term to describe a full-suspension bike that either has a blown rear shock, or lacks rebound damping. Typically, the bike will have no stability and rebound up as fast as it's pushed down, helping people with weak upper-bodies deal with drop lips and jumps. <this fox CTD Evo shock has to be run with only 3 clicks of rebound, because otherwise it packs up, but it sure is super playful!>

2. A bike with chainstays no longer than 16.8", or when combined with the adverb "not", a way to describe bikes that are unridable, due to chainstays longer than 16.8". <I rode it down the mountain and it was super rowdy!, but then I read on mtbr that the chainstays were 17.3", so I had to sell it because it wasn't playful.>

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Totally unridabru, because the chainstays are 7.72-10mm too long.

If you reference back to when I defined "playful"":

Playful:
| adjective | play-ful |

1. A term to describe a full-suspension bike that either has a blown rear shock, or lacks rebound damping. Typically, the bike will have no stability and rebound up as fast as it's pushed down, helping people with weak upper-bodies deal with drop lips and jumps. <this fox CTD Evo shock has to be run with only 3 clicks of rebound, because otherwise it packs up, but it sure is super playful!>

2. A bike with chainstays no longer than 16.8", or when combined with the adverb "not", a way to describe bikes that are unridable, due to chainstays longer than 16.8". <I rode it down the mountain and it was super rowdy!, but then I read on mtbr that the chainstays were 17.3", so I had to sell it because it wasn't playful.>

But does it have enough mid-stroke support to be poppy?