Quantcast

what's the "worst" beer you like?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok, we are mostly beer snobs here, so based on that bud/miller thread in the lounge, i figured this would be a good question (although newcastle will probably be the most represented answer. :devil: ).

for me, i gotta say corona. i actually kinda dig these as a hot weather beer, and you can find it anywhere.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
When I was in New Zealand it was Export Gold. Pretty cheap and available anywhere. Here in the states I don't know if it counts as a "bad" beer, but Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a favorite of mine. I actually just got a sixer of it this weekend for helping a friend tune his bike.

The Ito

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Worst beer that I have enjoyed....

San Miguel Pale Pilsen straight from the PI... not the stuff you can buy here in the US... oh no! I'm talking about the sh!t you get whist you are on a WestPac. Out of a case, there are several bottles that are only semi-filled, a couple that are too cloudy to drink and one that has the fuzzy remnants of some animal in it.

:dead:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This is probably one of the most difficult questions ever posed to me....... :confused:

I gotta say that I don't like *any* "worst" beer... I think. :p

-S.S.-

Edit: I don't think Sierra Nev Pale counts as "bad" beer. Fat Tire, does, though.........

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Hee hee. . . if I've ever felt baited in a forum, I'm feelin' it now :D

Yah, Lone Star shows up at my place when it's on sale, as do Nattie Light and Nattie Ice.

The one that TASTES the worst but I still sometimes drink: TECATE. And yes, I use lime. It's more for the experience (think beach house) than the flavor, and oh yah: it's on sale a lot!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i've drank a LOT of beer in my short 15 year beer career.

40's of OE, Ice beer, cheap american lager and good, quality microbrews. I've made plenty of my own beer as well.

if I'm buying, I usually go for low end lager for mass consumption (black label, pbr, oly etc.) I usually don't buy Bud/Miller/Coors. but I'll be the first one to say all cheap american lager is the same.

if I only feel like a few beers, I may get a micro style brew. doesn't matter much the flavor, when you drink as much as I do/can, I like to change flavors. IPA, Stout, Ale, etc, it all goes down well.

one exception is, I don't like Corana. unless your buying.

the only bad beers I can think of are those that are skunked. beer that I got at a small mom and pop store that they may have had on the shelf for 2 years or beer that was allowed to get warm, cold, hot and then put in the cooler. that is BAD beer.

other then that, as long as it has alcohol, I can, will and probably have drank it.

:D

oh, yea. and lime doesn't belong in beer. keep your fruit the hell out of my beer. ;)

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
When I used to power drink, it was Labatt's. Cheap, tasted decent, no after-taste, and was available just about everywhere. It didn't seem to smart to me to buy expensive $hit when you were going to knock out 15 of them in a night.

Now I pay as much for a 12 of good micro-brew as I could get a 30 pack of Labatt's. :mumble:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Old Milwaulkee straight from the tap at this greasy spoon burger place across the street from my house. It's the only place it tastes good.

I asked a yellow "beer" drinking friend of mine about why he drinks Miller and he said that, "Quantity is a quality all it's own". :think: Hmmm... not sure I agree.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
whats a pirates favorite kind of beer? PBARGHARGHARGH!

i'll drink PBR every once and again

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
For the worst of the worst, I'd have to say Coors Light. When it was the only beer option available, I drank it and didn't hate it entirely. I'd add Heinenken, Rolling Rock, and Corona to my list as well.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Rolling Rock is about as low as I can go and still have a good time. I don't know why, but I get a pounding headache after one bud, coors light, or miller.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Bass, Newcastle, Harp, Dominion (local, they actually have a few decent brews), Dos Equis Amber/Special Dark, Dundees Honey Brown, even Yuengling porter/B&T/lager if that's all there is. Those are the worst beers I will willingly imbibe.

I refuse to drink any domestic rice beers. The iced pisswater flavor just doesn't do it for me. You can't call me a beer snob when most domestics are not technically even beer. Life's too short to waste drinking that stuff when there's so many great beers out there. :thumb:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Fat Tire is a bad beer? i guess that would be my favorite bad beer. favorite beer period.

favorite cheapass beer = PBR. used to be LSL but i can't find that stuff in Austin. who would've thought that?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
fonseca said:
You can't call me a beer snob when most domestics are not technically even beer.
I hear that. but I still drink plenty of cheap beer.:D hell, I drink plenty of beer.

the way I look at it is, cheap beer is mostly water so it's a good way to rehydrate. ;)

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
pnj said:
the way I look at it is, cheap beer is mostly water so it's a good way to rehydrate. ;)
I use hard cider/lemonade for rehydration. For some people, those may be worse than the worst beer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i read in the boston globe that PBR is now officially the hipsters' cheap beer of choice. so congratulations, all you hipsters.

i'm holding out for the schaeffer resurgence.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
narlus said:
i read in the boston globe that PBR is now officially the hipsters' cheap beer of choice. so congratulations, all you hipsters.

i'm holding out for the schaeffer resurgence.
I'm well aware of that. I was drinking it before and will continue when it's no longer cool...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah, I don't get the whole Pabst movement lately. The beer has been around forever, now all of a sudden young people are "discovering" it. Ah well, I guess it's just a matter of trying to be trendy.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
PBR's founder, Captain Frederick Pabst, is a distant (and obviously long departed) relative of mine. I'm revisiting my "roots" with every can of PBR.

Pabst Trivia: A decendent of Capt. Frederick's, (Fred Pabst; also a relative of mine) invented the J-bar lift, precusor to the modern ski lift, in Vermont at Bromley Mtn..

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
SkaredShtles said:
Yep. Fat Tire is tasteless swill, IMO. :p

-S.S.-

fat tire makes more then one style off beer.

some tastes like a yeast infection... :blah:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
you mean New Belgium makes more than one style, or are there various versions of New Belgium's Fat Tire that went under my radar?

i haven't seen Loft in Texas, but had some in California and i liked it. it's also a New Belgium.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I often enjoy a cold Milwaulkee's Best Ice, it is a really horrible beer but I reprogrammed my brain to like it when I was broke. I really don't like any other cheap beer.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
fonseca said:
Bass, Newcastle, Harp, Dominion (local, they actually have a few decent brews), Dos Equis Amber/Special Dark, Dundees Honey Brown, even Yuengling porter/B&T/lager if that's all there is. Those are the worst beers I will willingly imbibe.
I forgot all about Yuengling. Add it to my list.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
MGD - but only if it is so cold it is almost frozen.
Victoria Bitter (when I was in Australia) - again, has to be cold.
Kokanee holds good memories, but not because of the taste... (maybe that should read "Kokanee holds large blank spaces where good memories should be" but that's a more appropriate description of Black Label)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
surprised to see the 1st rolling rock mention. you could actually buy that green-bottled swill in ireland. o'briens had a special where it was a euro a bottle. i used to drink it back in the day a bit, but every bottle tasted skunked and i finally wised up (and was making more $ so i could get something better).